PDA

View Full Version : Finally sold my heavy old wheels

DuckFeet
26-03-13, 09:06 AM
TL;DR: heavy wheels bad.

Weighing in at 11kg and around 3mm tread I finally got interest on ebay* Sold for only slightly less than I paid for them. Tyres included but I like to change them at 3mm after seeing some wet weather tests vs 1.6mm. One of them was down to 2mm anyway. I really hope the new owner likes them enough to make up for his missus not talking to him for buying them.

So I'm back to the OZ superleggera what I weighed at 3KG less, both with tyres on. I was waiting to refurb them and replace what I thought were shot tyres but Mr Imperial Tyres said they are fine.

What a difference to the drive this morning! I wonder if a lightweight flywheel has a similar effect, as that is planned for when the clutch goes. I'm also on low profile tyres which I disliked before, but with the offset the car does feel well planted. The steering is lighter but more precise too. Better all round except for cost of buying them in the first place.

*List every manufacturer who has ever used 4x100 PCD in the item title. Also messaged a bidder asking if he forgot to bid. He had.

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 09:47 AM
Out of interest what were the old heavy wheels then? I never thought that the wheels would be that noticable to be honest.

DuckFeet
26-03-13, 12:13 PM
Mak fever 5r. Stunning looking but I'm starting to prefer the multispoke look of the super's. Barely noticeable changing to them from the stock mk1 wheels other than heavier steering and slight sluggishness that I only noticed as I was looking out for it. This morning it was like I'd taken out a full interior including luggage, proper nice kick in 3rd going up a hill out of the 30 limit.

I wonder if anyone switching between mk1 and mk2 wheels has noticed the same?

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 12:34 PM
Thats good then, glad it feels nicer for you on the new ones. Ive gone from mk1 to mk2 wheels and to be honest even though people always say the mk2s are heavier but it wasnt a noticable difference on mine.

Skillen
26-03-13, 01:34 PM
I have a mk1 with straights and a mk2 with 11 spokes.
I've noticed a difference between the two, so much so I thought the mk2 had a flat tyre!
Don't know which I prefer yet!

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 01:46 PM
Maybe I need to try some straights again then but im sure I didnt notice a difference like that on mine when I changed them.
Still looking at a few a sets of light weight 16's off the bay for very little money as a winter / track option and as something a little different. The seller says theyve been weighed with tyres @ 8 or 9kg a wheel on one of the ones im looking at but dont know if thats good or not.

Skillen
26-03-13, 04:26 PM
I for one didn't realise that it could feel so different on 7.5j wide!

Mark S
26-03-13, 04:47 PM
never noticed a difference in weight of wheels (and I have the light prorace 1.2 wheels) but have done in rim width, tyre size and tyre squareness on rims.

stamford
26-03-13, 09:28 PM
Are those weights stated correct? 8/9kgs with tyres seems very light, standard 17" straights are well over 17kgs with tyres. A KV6 standard flywheel weighs a tad over 9kg..........even the 11kg OP wheels and tyres are light in comparison. Maybe I ought to recheck using new scales!

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 09:34 PM
Well that's what I was wondering if they were really that light. They are supposed to be a light weight jap wheel that the civic boys usually go for on te track cars. Don't look anything too special but not too bad but I'm wondering if he meant they are 8kg lighter being in 16" but will get him to make sure.
These aren't on the bay otherwise would post link up and see what everyone thinks. Will try to find more out I think.

p_b82
27-03-13, 07:54 AM
I read that as a 8kg lighter than the old wheels....

And i noticed a difference fitting the ultraleggeras straight away as replacements to the straights - which are lighter than the 11spokes! - esp as i had the same tyres on the same axles so it was a direct swap.

Mark S
27-03-13, 08:30 AM
And i noticed a difference fitting the ultraleggeras straight away as replacements to the straights - which are lighter than the 11spokes! - esp as i had the same tyres on the same axles so it was a direct swap.

out of interest, what rim width and offset are the ultraleggeras?

ZS
27-03-13, 08:40 AM

IIRC they are 7.5J ET38.... but its been a while since I had mine!

DuckFeet
27-03-13, 09:18 AM
Just to clarify a bit, that 11KG in OP is wheels only.
mk1 wheel 9.2 kg ish
mk2 wheel 11kg?
superleggera 7.5kg ish

tyre weighs about 10kg.

p_b82
27-03-13, 10:03 PM

I'd have to go look as i can't remember - not had them that long.

But it should be in the for sale thread on here if it has not been pruned by now.

I got them for the fact they fit over larger brakes as it had always been a plan to upgrade them at some point. these just came at a good price and i felt i could not turn it down :)

Mark S
27-03-13, 10:12 PM
IIRC they are 7.5J ET38.... but its been a while since I had mine!

you would certainly notice the difference between a 7j 45 or so et and a 7.5j 38et much more so than the kilo or two of weight.

just putting a slick on the mg 11 spoke vs std road tyre is like night and day ( and a slick is lighter than a road tyre yet feels so much heavier through the steering), yet the rim weight is still the same, similarly the difference between a 7j and 8j or 9j is like night and day, although the 9j weighs about the same as the 11 spoke.
Could it be the rim width and offset that you notice the difference on moreso than the weight? And have you tried a 7j et 45 ultraleggara as a back to back test or is the ultraleggara a different rim width and offset to the 7j mgr rim (op)