PDA

View Full Version : Engine \ Belly Pans

ZS
26-03-13, 09:32 AM
In my quest to bring my MPG up to where it should be (removing the decat seems to have gained 4 to 5 MPG for example) I have been reading up on various eco-car websites.

One of the biggest things that seems to be mentioned is "smooth" engine and belly pans under the car to smooth out the air flow (also keeps the road grim off of the car's underside)

This made me realise... My MK1 had an engine pan, my MK2 does not... Now while I don't expect this to be 10mpg worth of missing parts... I would quite like to fit one :)

Did the MK2 ever come with an engine or belly pan? and if not does the MK1 engine pan fit?

This is one of the many times i wish I had a set of Ramps to lift the car up and have a look lol

KevG
26-03-13, 09:59 AM
The Mk2 ZS didnt come with a "belly pan", it does have a partial one though, which reside under the radiator and extends into the front wheel housing.
Have no idea that the Mk1 had such an item.

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 10:06 AM
My mk1 has just the usual small under tray part that again goes round to the arch liners but doesnt cover under the engine in any way. Dont think ive ever seen one with a full belly tray.

Ritchy
26-03-13, 10:13 AM
Dont some of the diesels have them? I know the 25 diesel did

peterzs
26-03-13, 10:27 AM
Think my derv has, I keep losing nuts, bolts, jubilee clips and anything else I'm working on!!!

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 10:35 AM
Trying to remember if my old 200 did? Thinking about it though I dont think it did as where it used to have breather venting to atmosphere it sometimes left a tell tale dribble on the driveway. Dont think any of my MGR cars have had one. Still doesnt mean that it didnt have one before the previous owner started playing around with it.

ZS
26-03-13, 11:10 AM
I know my MK1 Diesel had a full one under the engine, since I had to keep taking it off (52 plate) and was convinced the MK1 180 had one as well... but maybe not then (I know the garage had to cable tie something to the bumper because it fell off while they were working on it though...)

My MK2 I am sure does not have anything though... I guess I might have to have another look!

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 11:26 AM
Meant to say though, you have had better mpg after re fitting the cat then?
An undertray could possibly make things flow a bit smoother under there and aid better consumption, be interesting to find out thats for sure.

stamford
26-03-13, 11:27 AM
From what I can recall there is the bumper/valance extension to the front central jacking point. This then blends into each wheel arch liner extension that protects the OE resonator box (NS) and washer bottle (OS) afaik. From the work done on the clutch and gearbox plus oil changes I have never removed anything else.

petet16
26-03-13, 11:33 AM
See here http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID003389

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 11:54 AM
Mine is the same as Mick described above, just a small cover that comes out very slightly from under the bumper but not a total belly pan.

That link to rimmers does show the full undertray as an option but only for the diesel so I wonder how easy it would be to retro fit to the v6 if at all?

Good finding again Pete, was just looking on the site myself but hadnt got that far.

POMPSKI
26-03-13, 12:19 PM
Good thing about the ZS is, there always seems to be random holes fit for attaching stuff.

petet16
26-03-13, 02:18 PM
I don't think the diesel belly pan would fit any of the petrol engined cars without being chopped about to clear the exhaust down pipes and sump, The diesel exhaust down pipe is on the back of the engine isn't it.

MG 53 ZED
27-03-13, 04:14 AM
I don't think the diesel belly pan would fit any of the petrol engined cars with being chopped about to clear the exhaust down pipes and sump, The diesel exhaust down pipe is on the back of the engine isn't it.

Yes the diesel exhaust down pipe is on the back of the engine. I have the full belly pan on my diesel aswell.