PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone fit my decat for me?

M17TT180
26-03-13, 04:57 PM
Not sure if my mate can do it now, so putting it out there! Obviously i'm willing to pay cashmonie.

Dan1971
26-03-13, 05:15 PM
Not sure if my mate can do it now, so putting it out there! Obviously i'm willing to pay cashmonie.

Can't really help mate - no knowledge or tools I'm afraid, but like I said before - TCS at Birchanger would help out and combine it with before and after rolling roads for about £70

ZS
26-03-13, 05:16 PM
Bring it dooon sarrrf with Dan's motor as well and we'll have a nice fitting day for you both :D

M17TT180
26-03-13, 05:22 PM
Bring it dooon sarrrf with Dan's motor as well and we'll have a nice fitting day for you both :D

When is this?

Dan1971
26-03-13, 05:29 PM
When is this?

Good question - nothing planned at the moment - .....:smile2:

Last time I went down I spent about £80 in petrol and an rr session to find out that my car was cack .... !

Basically I've got a decat waiting for me down there too .... Sounds like a "do stuff" convoy and decat run in the making ..... Or - dare I say it - my Mrs will shoot me - but we get down there early, get the decats fitted then over to Kitch for another rr run to make sure all's well.

As my motors are sorted, with the decat I'd be looking for about 35 more horses than last time !

M17TT180
26-03-13, 05:33 PM
Good question - nothing planned at the moment - .....:smile2:

Last time I went down I spent about £80 in petrol and an rr session to find out that my car was cack .... !

Basically I've got a decat waiting for me down there too .... Sounds like a "do stuff" convoy and decat run in the making ..... Or - dare I say it - my Mrs will shoot me - but we get down there early, get the decats fitted then over to Kitch for another rr run to make sure all's well.

As my motors are sorted, with the decat I'd be looking for about 35 more horses than last time !

Cool beans.

I've sent TCS a message, if the price is good enough then i'll probably do that as they are not too far away up the ol' M11.

Dan1971
26-03-13, 05:42 PM
Cool beans.

I've sent TCS a message, if the price is good enough then i'll probably do that as they are not too far away up the ol' M11.

Best to ring to be honest - last time I went he told me that he had about 600+ unread emails....

Dan1971
26-03-13, 05:43 PM

Off topic - sorry - but Sam - you might need to look at posting it for me to be honest mate as I don't know when I can get down .... unless Pete's close and he can bring it to Brands ....

M17TT180
26-03-13, 05:56 PM
Off topic - sorry - but Sam - you might need to look at posting it for me to be honest mate as I don't know when I can get down .... unless Pete's close and he can bring it to Brands ....

Could kill two birds

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 07:19 PM
The decat is an easy fit, the hardest part is winding the lambda in and out so it doesn't damage the wires but you can pre wind so when it goes back in it undoes to where it sits normally. Decat should be a half hour job unless totally rusted and corroded nuts and bolts like mine was.
Think its a 15 & 17mm from memory on the bolts and a big strong arm to undo lol.

M17TT180
26-03-13, 07:39 PM
The decat is an easy fit, the hardest part is winding the lambda in and out so it doesn't damage the wires but you can pre wind so when it goes back in it undoes to where it sits normally. Decat should be a half hour job unless totally rusted and corroded nuts and bolts like mine was.
Think its a 15 & 17mm from memory on the bolts and a big strong arm to undo lol.

rusted as buggery. Plus its difficult to get the car up high enough to get good enough workroom

M17TT180
26-03-13, 07:41 PM
Also my mate was saying that the three bolts on the mani end are studs, is this correct?

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 07:49 PM
Yeah there are 3 on the mani end and I believe they are studs from memory. I'm sure I just used new nuts on the studs that were there.
Yep sounds like mine was then.

M17TT180
26-03-13, 07:51 PM
Yeah there are 3 on the mani end and I believe they are studs from memory. I'm sure I just used new nuts on the studs that were there.
Yep sounds like mine was then.

Don't fancy earning yourself some cash?

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 08:42 PM
As much as I would love to say yes bring it down or we'll meet up and sort it I also had to get mine up in the air to do it which meant borrowing my mates workshop for an hour whilst I did it myself. I tried to do it on axle stands but it was like mine was welded up around the front nuts. Had to get heat on them (as suggested on here by Mick & Pete I believe) and then faught them that way. I have got a crude propane heat gun that could use but still may struggle on the height of car.
If you want to give it a go though I'm sure I can try to sort something out with you but the next couple of weeks I'm tied up over the weekends but as I say we can try and then if it fails then book with a garage?
Don't mind either way buddy :)

Supercharged_Z
26-03-13, 08:49 PM
take it to powerflow in st albans. Top gear its called iirc

M17TT180
26-03-13, 08:49 PM
As much as I would love to say yes bring it down or we'll meet up and sort it I also had to get mine up in the air to do it which meant borrowing my mates workshop for an hour whilst I did it myself. I tried to do it on axle stands but it was like mine was welded up around the front nuts. Had to get heat on them (as suggested on here by Mick & Pete I believe) and then faught them that way. I have got a crude propane heat gun that could use but still may struggle on the height of car.
If you want to give it a go though I'm sure I can try to sort something out with you but the next couple of weeks I'm tied up over the weekends but as I say we can try and then if it fails then book with a garage?
Don't mind either way buddy :)

Well let me know a rough date and how much you'd want and we'll see how it goes?

M17TT180
26-03-13, 08:53 PM

I went there years ago to get a powerflow exhaust fitted on my fez but I can see them charging through the nose. They used to be part of the car club I was on and I made their stickers. Might give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 09:05 PM
Well let me know a rough date and how much you'd want and we'll see how it goes?

I went there years ago to get a powerflow exhaust fitted on my fez but I can see them charging through the nose. They used to be part of the car club I was on and I made their stickers. Might give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

At the end of the day I just enjoy doing it mate, I wouldn't be saying I will charge you so much for doing it as I'm not a professional and would only be doing it to help someone out :)
See how you get on with prices from the above first buddy and then if too much we can arrange a date that suits most. I just k ow that this weekend its out anniversary and were taking Jack to Lego land as a well done for being so good with his recent operation. Other than that I may have to run my dad to look at a possible mg or two to buy but we should be able to come up with something in the very near future. Won't be too much of a problem really :D

M17TT180
26-03-13, 09:17 PM
At the end of the day I just enjoy doing it mate, I wouldn't be saying I will charge you so much for doing it as I'm not a professional and would only be doing it to help someone out :)
See how you get on with prices from the above first buddy and then if too much we can arrange a date that suits most. I just k ow that this weekend its out anniversary and were taking Jack to Lego land as a well done for being so good with his recent operation. Other than that I may have to run my dad to look at a possible mg or two to buy but we should be able to come up with something in the very near future. Won't be too much of a problem really :D

ok bud cheers

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 09:23 PM
No sweat buddy

Supercharged_Z
26-03-13, 09:35 PM
i went to powerflow years ago in Heathrow and they charged me 20 quid to fit a supplied decat :) cash of course.

Craig-ZS180
26-03-13, 09:47 PM
i went to powerflow years ago in Heathrow and they charged me 20 quid to fit a supplied decat :) cash of course.

That's a good amount, not sure what places charge now but £20 seems a fair price for the work.

M17TT180
26-03-13, 09:48 PM

Yeah but this is gonna be more than just unscrewinga few bolts lol

Also they are called EMP Performance these days

Dan1971
27-03-13, 04:48 AM
Get a quote from Tom at TCS - if you like, throw up that I've recommended him, he's done work on about 4 of my MGs - the latest having been putting various mods on my blue diesel including decat and changing the injectors - and if you want to do a RR before and after, and it helps with the cost, tell him I'll come up too to put mine on too.

Craig-ZS180
27-03-13, 07:31 AM
Would also make the trip to find out what mines doing too, mostly to help out on your costs though obviously..

M17TT180
27-03-13, 07:44 AM
Ok guys cheers, will give them a ring today and find out whats what.

DuckFeet
27-03-13, 09:06 AM
regarding the lack of space on axle stands: The breaker bar needed too much room even with a 16(is that right?) sided socket. I subbed this out for an extender pipe on my wratchet and that did ok. Probably not worth lying on your back in the rain busting knuckles to save £20 though.

peterzs
27-03-13, 09:35 AM
not to Hi Jack the thread, but.............. Dan, thinking of going to Brooklands MG Era Day 7th of April, I could divert and pick up the decat from Sam on the way back, and bring up to Brands. Have to let me know.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/events/details/mg-era2/

Depending if the Big Freeze has gone by then, better add.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

M17TT180
27-03-13, 10:02 AM
Well phoned tcs they won't be able to do it for at least a couple of months they are that busy, phoned top gear they have booked me in for sat morning 8am nice and early shouldnt cost more than about 60 or an hour's labour. They have all the gear to burn the nuts off.

peterzs
27-03-13, 10:14 AM
Sounds painful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig-ZS180
27-03-13, 10:22 AM
Thats good then, hopefully wont be too expensive or a long weight. You'll love the result.

M17TT180
27-03-13, 10:27 AM
Thats good then, hopefully wont be too expensive or a long weight. You'll love the result.

Yeah along wth the xpower exhaust hopefully it will give a bit of noise but not too much lol.

petet16
27-03-13, 10:28 AM
Glad your sorted, but anyone who tells you they can't fit you in to have a decat fitted for a couple of months, that says to me "we don't need the work".

Craig-ZS180
27-03-13, 10:41 AM
Yeah along wth the xpower exhaust hopefully it will give a bit of noise but not too much lol.

Its more the added pops on overrun that make me smile. Almost everytime I lift off the throttle it pops and burbles in a great way.
It will make it a bit louder but not hugely, sounds nice and purposeful with one fitted.

James Raby
27-03-13, 09:08 PM
Bosch dealership charged me £25 for full removal of my existing system and had to use blow torch thing as rusted bolts, fitment of decat and full system again

sweet

M17TT180
30-03-13, 08:32 AM
Well all done took them less than 30 mins. Doesn't sound much louder on normal driving which is good but sounds really sweet on full chat. Went for a blast through the hatfield tunnel (couldn't resist) and it sounded mental!

Dan1971
30-03-13, 12:14 PM
Good man... :punk:

peterzs
30-03-13, 12:18 PM
Glad its sorted, better than climbing about underneath for 1/2 a day and still not shifting the nuts!!!

M17TT180
30-03-13, 02:31 PM
Indeed.

Although only took 20 mins for the MIL to come on.

grimmy
30-03-13, 04:05 PM
It's a superb mod,and had mine on for three months and no mil light these cars are weird.