PDA

View Full Version : Boot Mod

georgiansoccer
01-01-08, 06:16 PM
Finished off my little mod for the boot of the ZS. Installed two gas struts for keeping the tailgate up.

Result is the boot stays up at any height so it doesnt fall down at all.

I was hoping to get it to open fully as soon as you used the keyfob but there isnt enough power in the struts for this.

The brackets i made up arent the neatest but you dont see them so im not too concerned.

stamford
01-01-08, 06:18 PM
Clever mod, mine have never played up, I must be lucky :D

arwilson80
01-01-08, 09:08 PM
Interesting mod... Mine stays up pretty well though (the boot lid that is - i know Jim will twist it if he got the chance! :p) ....

SimonMGZS
01-01-08, 09:15 PM
great mod
what vehicle did the struts come off and what is there fully extended length

Smokey
01-01-08, 09:19 PM
fantastic work mate!

georgiansoccer
01-01-08, 10:40 PM
well my boots not too bad either it stays up as long as its pushed fully up. Now it stays up in any position without falling down.

The struts i got off ebay from a Jaguar XJ i think

ZS
02-01-08, 09:26 AM
I wonder if it is possible to get rid of those annoying "hinges" so I can stop my shopping being crushed!

For example using some Audi A6 type of design... the gas struts and hinges being moved to between the bodywork and the boot lid....

Just a thought!

Maxxed_Ross
02-01-08, 12:29 PM
very nice mod!

I've been researching this recently too. Apparently Megane Coupe struts are the best to use and they will open the boot if you move one of the torsion bars to the next notch (very very tricky to do!) but this means closing isn't as smooth

georgiansoccer
03-01-08, 11:08 AM
yeah i started with one gas strut and one torsion bar but wasnt happy so added the other gas strut. It now opens much better and doesnt fall down at any point if you let go

Baz27
05-01-08, 11:45 AM
I have one strut and one torsion bar, it stops where ever I put the boot now without biting me. Used the rear of the seat retaining bracket with a longer bolt no drilling, bracket from B&Q :smartass: