PDA

View Full Version : my car has been smashed up

chriszs180
02-01-08, 08:54 AM
just go back from thailand phoned the ex and she was using my zs over christmas was in a 5 car pile up on the m25
so my frount bumper is smashed rear bumper smashed boot smashed in rad burst so coolent everyware and she got towed away it is now someware in kent in someware noone knows

the guy who smashed into my car says the rear lights arn't legal i have lexus style one's with led bulbs so am not sure myself the old bill looked at them and said they are ok but will an insurance assesar find them and not pay out

so how bad is it going to be........

arwilson80
02-01-08, 09:01 AM
Sounds like the guy is just looking an easy way out TBH... Don't let him have it though.

...and sorry to hear that it's been 'mashed'. Just hope it's not so bad that they write it off. :(

So much for a better start to 2008! :console:

Craig
02-01-08, 09:06 AM
Bad bad news mate. Sounds pretty bad. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.

Boot Hill Bandit
02-01-08, 09:12 AM
just go back from thailand phoned the ex and she was using my zs over christmas was in a 5 car pileup on the m25
so my frount bumper is smashed rear bumper smashed boot smashed in rad burst so coolent everyware and she got towed away it is now someware in kent in someware noone knows

the guy who smashed into my car sayss the rear lights arnt legal i have lexus stle one with led bulbs so am not sur myself the old bill looked at them and said they are ok but will an insurance assesar will find them and not pay out

so how bad is it going to be........

Sorry to hear that bud........you seem more unlucky than me :laugh:

There are mk2 bodykit bits about and I believe MRT_04 (Mike) was getting somewhere with the production of the rear spats......

I would say.........if the actual bodyshell damage is not too sad....get as much of it repaired as possible.

I would guess the insurance company will write it off.....a chance perhaps to buy it back and either repair or break it for parts.

So sorry to hear about that dude :no: keep smiling though......we are all here......and I'm sure we can all help where possible.

Best Wishes and a big man hug

Jim

chriszs180
02-01-08, 09:17 AM
cheers jim
was looking forward to the kent meet as well might come over on my vespa instead.........

may be not its so cold here.........

so pissed off just dont know how bad it is or anything.

does ems do crash damage repairs as its someware in kent she doesent even know where and it would be good if some one who knows some thing about mgs..

Boot Hill Bandit
02-01-08, 09:32 AM
cheers jim
was looking forward to the kent meet as well might come over on my vespa instead.........

may be not its so cold here.........

so pissed off just dont know how bad it is or anything.

does ems do crash damage repairs as its someware in kent she doesent even know where and it would be good if some one who knows some thing about mgs..

Tell you what........I still need a co driver dude! come on your Vespa and I will give you the drive of your life ;)

Give EMS a call.........they use an award winning bodyshop somewhere local. The quality of their work is such as this.....

Andy the director had a golf ball hit his Rover 25 bonnet......he got a new bonnet and had it resprayed in Firefrost Red......the finish was actually better than what MGR had pushed out at the factory!

I am going to be having all my bodywork done by the bodyshop this year......bonnet bulge in the bonnet and a front end respray.

Give them a call 01634 388999.

Jim

chriszs180
02-01-08, 09:48 AM
ummmmm
could look at getting a respray as well been thinking it needed a lift......

Boot Hill Bandit
02-01-08, 10:37 AM
ummmmm
could look at getting a respray as well been thinking it needed a lift......

There ya go then dude ;)

I look at it this way.......if I go and get another car......all that hard work and cash I put in would be wasted....as I would want to replace stuff for peace of mind again.

I know I could have gone and got something different for my ££££ but I am happy with my ZS all the time it works as it should do.

The sides and rear of my car don't look too sad (apart from the rear bumper) so I will get the front of mine resprayed to tidy up all the stone chips and other minor blemishes.

As regards to panels.......iirc EMS were distributors or something for them.....you can only phone and ask. I hope you can get it fixed soon enough anyway.

Jim

chriszs180
02-01-08, 11:39 AM
the worst thing is not knowing how bad it is and how fast she was going and all that she says its not her fault but i cant help blame her she has taken everything else from my life this year all i had was the zs now i dont have that only hope it will turn out ok but knowing my life at the moment it wont..........

and then she will blame me for the parts i put on.....

wilko66
02-01-08, 11:41 AM
:sorry:to hear your bad news mate, what a start for 2008, :no:here's hoping you can get it sorted quickly

Boot Hill Bandit
02-01-08, 12:01 PM
the worst thing is not knowing how bad it is and how fast she was going and all that she says its not her fault but i cant help blame her she has taken everything else from my life this year all i had was the zs now i dont have that only hope it will turn out ok but knowing my life at the moment it wont..........

and then she will blame me for the parts i put on.....

Yep I would be just as suspicious and full of hatred......but she wouldn't really be that stupid in risking killing herself by getting involved in a pile up. You are just a bit unlucky like me :sad:

Your car can hopefully be fixed bud......if it really is bad then hopefully you can salvage some of it all and start afresh as soon as possible :yes:

feel free to talk to me on MSN if it all gets a bit too much ;)

Jim

stamford
02-01-08, 12:11 PM
Gutted for you Chris :console:

There's one reason why the wife isn't on my insurance. Surprised you let her drive it after what you've been put through.

I hope you get it back, but sounds doubtful.

arwilson80
02-01-08, 12:15 PM
There's one reason why the wife isn't on my insurance. Surprised you let her drive it after what you've been put through.

I wondered the same, but didn't actually get as far as deciding whether or not it would be a wise idea to ask. :spider:

Boot Hill Bandit
02-01-08, 12:21 PM
I wondered the same, but didn't actually get as far as deciding whether or not it would be a wise idea to ask. :spider:

I never have a problem with anyone driving my ZS.......rules are........don't crash it. Karen drove it and in some respects she was a stranger.....and a lot of others have driven it too.

Jim

stamford
02-01-08, 12:21 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing ;)

Maxxed_Ross
02-01-08, 12:25 PM
There's a moral to this story, don't let anyone else drive your zed

Sorry to hear about this man, it sounds bad... probably meaning it'll be written off. I wouldn't worry about the lights. They are genuine parts and E marked, so 100% legal

arwilson80
02-01-08, 12:32 PM
I never have a problem with anyone driving my ZS.......rules are........don't crash it.

Well i'm not saying i don't let people drive mine, but 99% of the time i'm going with them... Just to make sure they treat her right. ;)

Maxxed_Ross
02-01-08, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't trust anyone enough

chriszs180
02-01-08, 12:36 PM
There's a moral to this story, don't let anyone else drive your zed

Sorry to hear about this man, it sounds bad... probably meaning it'll be written off. I wouldn't worry about the lights. They are genuine parts and E marked, so 100% legal

her name is down as the main driver as she has a better noclaimes than me and i allways trusted her with it before but will have to look at the future now
just hope i get the cash back to sort it or get a new one

£6500 for new car
£1000 for the alloys
£1500 for sound sytem(as the boot is damaged and am sure she has left the amps and sub open to the rain....

£400 for cat back
£350 for the air filter

so as they say like for like lets say £10,000

dont think ill get near that but lets hopeing.

down to them now..

stamford
02-01-08, 12:37 PM
My wife was on the zed insurance first time around as I got discount! However I did let her attempt to drive it in a car park ONCE. Poor little thing couldn't reach the pedals so was not in full control, hence she never drove it and she did say she could not see over the bonnet properly! So there is a benefit to having a wife at 5'1", actually at that height there are a few benefits ;)

Maxxed_Ross
02-01-08, 12:41 PM
doubt they'll go like for like on the mods, unless you are on a policy specifically for a modded car. Most will cover the mods but replace with standard.

You'd need to check the fine print

chriszs180
02-01-08, 12:43 PM
my ex is 5"2 so that may be why she crashed then...

with adrian flux and yes i'm on a modified policy that is like for like.

Maxxed_Ross
02-01-08, 12:44 PM
excellent, another reason why I'm going with them next time round then

Maxfly
02-01-08, 05:38 PM
hope it all works outs well for you fella!! flux have been good in any dealing i have had wi them here's hoping its the same for you:console:

Christina - Banned User
02-01-08, 10:12 PM
I am insured with Adrian Flux and all mods were declared on my mk1. Had a crash and car was written off. Don't want to burst any bubbles but the mods are only covered like for like if the car is repairable.

Only advice I can give is find out where your car is. If it is a write off get yourself to the garage and remove the mods after it has been assessed but before you accept a settlement or the car is moved to another location as the car is still legally yours. But you'll have to act quick.

You will probably be unable to remove your alloys unless you can replace them with another set of wheels. Any cheap set will do! Remove the sound system. Get your air filter off. And if you still have the oe exhaust then chuck that back on.

I think the rule is that if the car was driven/towed into the garage then you must leave it in such a condition that it can be driven/towed out again.

Do you have an extreme spoiler on your car? If so then get that off as it's worth up to £200. I got mine off. You'll need a small socket set and a sharp long knife as the sticky pads are really strong (so strong that 3 of us couldn't pull them off the boot lid). They will need to be cut.

How much did you tell Adrian Flux your car was worth when you first took out your insurance? They will hold you to that!

Don't forget the tax disc!!!!!!!!!

All in all get everything you can off the car.

One more thing. You say the radiator was smashed. There are no new radiators available for the ZS180 anywhere and are on back order with a wait of at least a year.

Good luck and feel free to ask for advice if needed.

stamford
03-01-08, 07:21 AM
Good advice there :thumbsup:

I know a radiator company than can recondition and build rads, so that won't be an issue. They used to sponsor me and built me custom rads for my hotrods.

KevG
03-01-08, 08:23 AM
IF the car is written off, then you have 10 days to get your stuff after the car after it has been assessed, before it moves to a salvage company.

IF your car is repairable, then you can get rads from lots of places, but the trouble with insurers or the bodyshop responsible for repair they generally have a policy of using just OE parts and not 3rd party items even though some off the 3rd party manufacturers usually supply OE bits, try and get them to source the 3rd party bits or even good 2nd hand bits.

georgiansoccer
03-01-08, 11:01 AM
when my cars front end was smashed in it was the radiator that was causing the delay. The bodyshop managed to get all the 180 bodykit parts but not the radiator.

I ended up sourcing them a reconditioned radiator from roverlink which i have had no problems with.

chriszs180
03-01-08, 11:05 AM
just spoke to the garage where its going to get done

fords in essex

the guy i spoke to said he has not had 1 mg not been written off as parts are so hard to get

so not looking good will try and go and see it later

god i feel so shhhhhiiiiittttt about this

what a start to 2008

:rip::rip::rip::rip:

Boot Hill Bandit
03-01-08, 04:54 PM
just spoke to the garage where its going to get done

fords in essex

the guy i spoke to said he has not had 1 mg not been written off as parts are so hard to get

so not looking good will try and go and see it later

god i feel so shhhhhiiiiittttt about this

what a start to 2008

:rip::rip::rip::rip:

what a load of bollocks!

Parts are not hard to get at all........there are some that cause problems but why do people feel the need to make it sound like parts are rare as hens teeth!!!! :mad:

Grab us some photos so we can all have a look......if it is really bad then forget it unless you are going to break it for spares in which case there is plenty of call for mk2 second hand spares to be sold.

Hope it all works out bud and I would strongly advise getting a list of parts needed for the repair and checking with Ralph if they are available rather than the repairers fobbing you off with a half hearted search.

Jim

KevG
03-01-08, 07:20 PM
Totally agree with Jimbo there, when my wifes R75 was in for a new wing and bumper, they had all parts except the wing, 7 weeks later I had enough, and called Xpart and told them the story and who was doing the repair, I later got a phone call (sameday) from the bodyshop doing the work that they had managed to get a wing (Apparently Xpart called them, and explained I had been in touch.) so dont take any snash from them.

chriszs180
03-01-08, 09:03 PM
went and saw it today didnt look to bad and is getting assesed tomorow but again they said oh an mg not good for parts for them so i told them about this site and that if they need help with parts then im sure some members can help they looked a bit shocked!!!!!!!!!!

we shall see tomorrow or monday....

arwilson80
03-01-08, 09:38 PM
Totally agree with Jimbo there, when my wifes R75 was in for a new wing and bumper, they had all parts except the wing, 7 weeks later I had enough, and called Xpart and told them the story and who was doing the repair, I later got a phone call (sameday) from the bodyshop doing the work that they had managed to get a wing (Apparently Xpart called them, and explained I had been in touch.) so dont take any snash from them.

Good for you. I would've loved to see facial expressions when Xpart called them. :)