PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slave has gone.

Sonic_160zr
01-04-13, 11:12 AM
Unfortunatly this has just happened to me yesterday on the way home from visiting my Auntie in Calne, i managed to get the car the 30 odd miles home across a/b roads with 2 gears so im just glad I didnt have to abandon the car anywhere and walk home!

Me being me im looking to use this as an opportunity to do some extra bits whist the gearbox will be out. Im thinking of getting a lightened flywheel and new clutch fitted as well as the sheddist kit in one hit. The only problem is that I cannot do this myself so its going to be going to my local garage to do.

Is there anything else that would be worth doing whilst the box is out? and where is the best place to get a lightened flywheel from?

Cheers,
Matt

welshone
01-04-13, 11:21 AM
the gear box doesn't need to come out for a new hydraulic system.

Sonic_160zr
01-04-13, 11:25 AM
the gear box doesn't need to come out for a new hydraulic system.

Didnt know that, thanks learn something new everyday :). would it still be worth changing the clutch at the same time though? the cars on 62k but it was making a hell of a racket yesterday.

Cheers,
Matt

petet16
01-04-13, 11:38 AM
Can you describe the racket it was making, as said the box doesn't need to come off for the slave to be replaced, you'll almost certainly need the slave and mounting bracket, or you may get away with just the bracket if the slave hasn't ejected its piston.

A picture of the slave and bracket would be useful:smile1:

welshone
01-04-13, 11:44 AM
Yes inspect the bracket for any fine cracks, might not seem like much. But flexes enough to stop the slave from working properly.

Sonic_160zr
01-04-13, 11:44 AM
Can you describe the racket it was making, as said the box doesn't need to come off for the slave to be replaced, you'll almost certainly need the slave and mounting bracket, or you may get away with just the bracket if the slave hasn't ejected its piston.

A picture of the slave and bracket would be useful:smile1:

Some of the gears were crunching as they went in, yet my foot was practically throught the firewall, and it would make a tinny (highish pitch) very similar to the sound of the brake heatsheilds rubbing on the wheel, like a scrapinging noise, happened in most of the gears at different revs.

Ill try and get a picture now.

Cheers,
Matt

petet16
01-04-13, 11:47 AM
The fact that you could still change gear is potentially good news, as it may mean just the bracket is flexing, cheap and easy fix if thats the case.

Sonic_160zr
01-04-13, 12:06 PM
Yea ive heard stories where you have been unable to change gear at all, so when the bite point suddenly dropped I did have a bit of a panic, but I could change to all the forward gears, some were less noisy than others. so tried to stay in the quieter ones.

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy276/sonic_160zr/MG-ZS180/IMG_0206_zpsf86e5876.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy276/sonic_160zr/MG-ZS180/IMG_0204_zpsa15b9d64.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy276/sonic_160zr/MG-ZS180/IMG_0202_zps51ad2e3d.jpg

Dont know if these help at all...

Cheers,
Matt

petet16
01-04-13, 12:15 PM
On your third pic is that a crack running across the bracket.

The slave at least hasn't spat the piston out, so may be reuseable.

Can you get some one to press the clutch pedal while you take a pic, it'll make it easy to see if the bracket is flexing.

Sonic_160zr
01-04-13, 12:21 PM
No its not a crack just the camera angle. No one else is here at the moment but when I have a spare body ill get a pic with the pedal pressed as well.

Ive managed source a sheddist kit so im guessing this should resolve the problem?

Thank you for your help Pete. Much appriciated as always! :hump:

Cheers,
Matt

stamford
01-04-13, 12:22 PM
Looks to be all present and correct so suspect the bracket is flexing due to cracked welds etc.

Sonic_160zr
01-04-13, 12:25 PM
Looks to be all present and correct so suspect the bracket is flexing due to cracked welds etc.

Is that white bit of plastic not meant to be connected? looks like it was attached to the arm.

Please excuse the noob questions, I didnt even know what a slave looked liked until I helped you with the gearbox Mick hehe..

Cheers,
Matt

petet16
01-04-13, 12:27 PM
The white plastic strips stop the piston coming out prior to fitting the slave, it's fitted with the strips intact, and then they snap when you press the pedal.

stamford
01-04-13, 12:31 PM
Is that white bit of plastic not meant to be connected? looks like it was attached to the arm.

Please excuse the noob questions, I didnt even know what a slave looked liked until I helped you with the gearbox Mick hehe..

Cheers,
Matt

:D my slave is different to yours as I have the Honda one fitted. As for gearbox out...............if you need an excuse to tell swmbo then 'yes' it needs to come out and 'yes' wise to replace the worn flywheel and fit a new clutch ;)

Sonic_160zr
01-04-13, 12:45 PM
The white plastic strips stop the piston coming out prior to fitting the slave, it's fitted with the strips intact, and then they snap when you press the pedal.

Thanks for that :D makes sense now.

:D my slave is different to yours as I have the Honda one fitted. As for gearbox out...............if you need an excuse to tell swmbo then 'yes' it needs to come out and 'yes' wise to replace the worn flywheel and fit a new clutch ;)

fortunatly I dont have a gf at the minute so no worries about justifing the cost :D.but do need to do some phoning around the local garages for quotes, might just get the slave fixed for now and then upgrade/replace the clutch/flywheel if needed at a later date.

Cheers,
Matt

grimmy
01-04-13, 01:13 PM
if you are getting the box removed try and get a slippy diff installed its a superb mod.

p_b82
02-04-13, 09:33 AM
good news on getting a sheddist kit - will def fix things long term.

I can vouch for the Honda parts, as they have helpd up very well on my car (not quite the same aas sheddist kit as i use the accord/Ti parts) but it coped well with the seriously beefy uprated cover and paddle until the release arm seized on me!

for sure think about a diff if/when you fit the clutch/flywheel..... transforms the drive!

Sonic_160zr
03-04-13, 01:25 AM
Hopefully then this can fixed without removing the box, so I won't bother getting the gearbox taken off unless needed, but I will be looking to upgrade the flywheel at some point in the future, as this has been one of my planned mods to do, but I will look into a LSD too, :-)

Any ideas as to where to go to get the flywheel and LSD? Had a quick search online but didnt really seem to find anywhere selling them.

Cheers,
Matt

stamford
03-04-13, 07:25 AM
Flywheel http://www.ttvracing.com/

Diff will depend if you want a new one or a Torsen B from an old Rover.

Sonic_160zr
12-04-13, 09:12 AM
Well had the Sheddist kit fitted yesterday and the bite point is still really low, although I know I can adjust that, the main concern is the clutch is nearly always making a racket, it whines when pulling away and rattles when in neutral, managed to get home ok (8miles ish) but it was a struggle to change gear.

I'm guessing its a new clutch that's needed as well? :-( anyone have a rough idea of what a garage is going to charge for this? Going to wait until I can get the LSD and lightened fly wheel so it can all be done at once, lucky car isn't my main driver so it can sit on the drive while I save the pennies.

Cheers,
Matt

Dan1971
12-04-13, 09:37 AM
Well had the Sheddist kit fitted yesterday and the bite point is still really low, although I know I can adjust that, the main concern is the clutch is nearly always making a racket, it whines when pulling away and rattles when in neutral, managed to get home ok (8miles ish) but it was a struggle to change gear.

I'm guessing its a new clutch that's needed as well? :-( anyone have a rough idea of what a garage is going to charge for this? Going to wait until I can get the LSD and lightened fly wheel so it can all be done at once, lucky car isn't my main driver so it can sit on the drive while I save the pennies.

Cheers,
Matt

Got mine done at a garage a while back - supplied and fitted cost was £450.

A guy on XPF is advertising some OE clutch bits at the moment. "Bigfella" I think, not sure if it's new or not. Not sure if it'll help your issues though.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=62116

Din
13-04-13, 07:50 AM
You realise your release bearing has fallen apart ? Don't drive it, it will let you down, you need a new clutch kit.

dean0
13-04-13, 11:05 AM
I was thinking release bearing too, gearbox off to replace I'm afraid and you really need to change the complete clutch

Sonic_160zr
15-04-13, 12:15 PM
The car isnt being driven at the moment, only used it to get home from work after picking it up from the garage as I had no other way of getting home at 3am in the morning, I knew as soon as I started my journey home it was going to be a box off job. but it definatly didnt feel like that when I took it to the garage to fit the sheddist kit.

My only annoyance was that the garage obviously knew it was fubared but never mentioned it when they called me to say it was ready or when i collected the keys, Which is surprising as there usually pretty good, and its one of the few garages I trust to work on my cars round here.

Im receiving a bonus from work this month which should cover the cost of the repair and the lightened flywheel, shame as I had other plans for that money!!

Cheers,
Matt

Sonic_160zr
03-05-13, 10:22 AM
Just a quick update, car is going to another garage today to get the work done, getting a new flywheel but couldnt get a LSD so that will have to wait for another day :(

Went to drive the car to the garage today and couldnt select any gear when the engine was running, turned engine off and it was fine all gears were selectable and gear leaver moved as it should. Just waiting for one of the mechanics to come down and pick the car up now.

Cheers,
Matt

stamford
03-05-13, 10:26 AM
At least things are moving in the right direction, the flywheel is a nice mod ;)

Sonic_160zr
03-05-13, 10:31 AM
At least things are moving in the right direction, the flywheel is a nice mod ;)

True just waiting for the flywheel to turn up and then the garage will start the work, just frustrated that a garage I trusted were so unproffessional really especially as they have avoided my calls and enquires since getting the car back, but not to worry. Really miss driving the V6, the poor old 160 just doesnt cut the mustard anymore haha..

Cheers,
Matt

Jay-ZS+
03-05-13, 03:00 PM
I had the release bearing go on mine, car was very juddery when pulling away and as you mention a high pitched squeal and eventually some smoke.

Dont know if Davemgt is busy but he helped me with mine when it went. Top bloke, but if he has time is another thing. Least you are paying someone you trust who know what they are doing.

If I didnt have exams at the moment I'd help as after seeing it done once its not a tricky job.

Jay-ZS+
03-05-13, 03:02 PM
This is what I'm betting you will find.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Clutch%20Failure/002.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/jayhowl/media/MK2%20ZS/Clutch%20Failure/002.jpg.html)

petet16
03-05-13, 03:07 PM
I think that release bearing is beyond saving.

Jay-ZS+
03-05-13, 03:10 PM
Dunno reckon if I had found all the other ball bearings it could have been patched up!

petet16
03-05-13, 03:20 PM
You think?, surely some duct tape would need to be added, it can fix anything:yes:

Jay-ZS+
03-05-13, 03:22 PM
You think?, surely some duct tape would need to be added, it can fix anything:yes:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TYg6BNEzQVo/TrcLXD0GKcI/AAAAAAAAAQM/4fZm1yQZkEY/s1600/gaffer%2Btape.jpg

petet16
03-05-13, 04:05 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TYg6BNEzQVo/TrcLXD0GKcI/AAAAAAAAAQM/4fZm1yQZkEY/s1600/gaffer%2Btape.jpg

Exactly, with wd40 and duct tape any challenge can overcome.:laugh:

Sonic_160zr
04-05-13, 12:42 PM

So true! you only need to add an hammer to that and you have my tool "bodge it" kit!!

I had the release bearing go on mine, car was very juddery when pulling away and as you mention a high pitched squeal and eventually some smoke.

Dont know if Davemgt is busy but he helped me with mine when it went. Top bloke, but if he has time is another thing. Least you are paying someone you trust who know what they are doing.

If I didnt have exams at the moment I'd help as after seeing it done once its not a tricky job.

Cheers for the offer Jay! these things never seem to happen at the most appropiate times, you should know that haha.. having helped/watched Mick swap his gearbox out on his ZS a while back its not something i would be afraid of attempting with some expierienced help, but Im rather short of free time at the moment with work being so busy so it easier to send it away and get it done, will hurt the old wallet though im sure!

Cheers,
Matt

maxtherotti
04-05-13, 04:00 PM
This may be no use to the op
but im willing to lend anyone a hand doing jobs like this on my days off (tend to be mid week tho) as I have a fair bit of hands on experiance with these (ex factory trained x power tech)

Cheers Rob

maxtherotti
04-05-13, 04:01 PM
Should have said in the south west too
And there would need to be a good supply of tea!!!!

Rob

Sonic_160zr
04-06-13, 01:49 PM
This may be no use to the op
but im willing to lend anyone a hand doing jobs like this on my days off (tend to be mid week tho) as I have a fair bit of hands on experiance with these (ex factory trained x power tech)

Cheers Rob

Should have said in the south west too
And there would need to be a good supply of tea!!!!

Rob

This is a very kind offer Rob thank you, I may well ask for your assistance in the future :D

A little update for anyone interested:
6 weeks later and Ive still not got the car back yet, really missing the V6 and cant wait to get her back. Ive been having a big problem sourcing a lightened flywheel and only last week found (thanks to the mechanics at the garage fixing my car) a race engineering company locally that will lighten the existing flywheel for me.

Hoping that I will have the car back either the tail end of this week or most likely next week. Should be a lot nicer to drive with the newly fitted flywheel and the Sheddist kit. plus Ive got a BMC CDA enclosed air filter and oil catch tank to fit when it comes back!
so Ive finally got something good to look forward to in what has been a difficult few weeks/months on a personal level.

Cheers,
Matt

maxtherotti
04-06-13, 08:13 PM
Any time just ask away

Rob