PDA

View Full Version : Going down the scrap yard

POMPSKI
06-04-13, 02:40 AM
Going to sound like an idiot, but I have never been to one.

Wanting to go to have a look for some doorcards and other bits and bobs.

How does it work? You take some tools and rip off whatever you want?

mrmick
06-04-13, 05:37 AM
Some you can yes if its a open scrap yard and some only do parts from shelf best to find out first and always take your tools as some may lend you the odd screw driver have fun cant beat a day in scrap yard

stamford
06-04-13, 07:32 AM
Where have you been hiding! Great places to spend time. Been visiting them since I started driving. However they have changed alot since my time, health & safety etc. Nowadays they are not generally stacked like they used to be, some are free roaming to do as you please. The bigger ones ask what you are after so they get a feel for what you are taking off and maybe hiding ;) Some make you wear high vis jackets now. I always go in and say I am looking around for parts for a hotrod, so they have no idea what I am up to. I remember when cars used to be stacked four high, foot deep in muck too.

petet16
06-04-13, 08:41 AM
Don't forget to get as much "pocket treasure" as you can if it's a free roaming yard.

Most of them down here now have parts removed and stacked, so you don't get to wander round the yard

talkingcars
06-04-13, 09:01 AM
I normally go with a list in my head of what I want and take the correct tools for removing these, other times I go for a look around and will take a screw driver and a pair of snips and maybe a pair of pump pliers.

As I wear a HiViz bomber jacket for work I wear this.

andys1981
06-04-13, 09:06 AM
write down a wee list of what you need,as when i go scrappy hunting,i go there and always come home with stuff i dont need,always forget something

peterzs
06-04-13, 09:14 AM
Charlie Trents down here was like the one Mick used to go to, remember always having a ear on the crane. Be working away and he would come up along side and start hoicking off the top car next to the stack you were working on.

Then they went all up market, everything was on the shelf and you couldnt go and pull the bits off yourself.

Last time I went you had to pay a £1 to get in, but I was only after a bit of rubber trim for the Punto, went to pay and he said the £1 covered it.

Only a stripped out MGF on the MG side.

Remember one used to go through the tool box on the way out, just in case something had fallen in there!!!!

Have fun.

Malteser
06-04-13, 10:12 AM
Scrap yards are amazing places to find what you are looking...My father and I used to spend a few hours a month in one close by (when we lived in Canada )for parts and things and it was great. Unfortunately here in Malta there aren't too many and prices are ridiculous!

If you wouldnt mind keeping an eye out for a MK2 ZS bumper...I would just need the drivers side bit that continues the 180 kit. Let me know if they have it and approx. how much that would be great! Have fun on your adventure!

POMPSKI
06-04-13, 11:30 AM
Wow thanks for the enthusiastic response guys, some great info here.

I'll report back when im done!

Of course I will Malteser :)

POMPSKI
06-04-13, 12:53 PM
Doesnt appear to be one in Norfolk I can just wander around :(

Not one I can find anyway.

KevG
06-04-13, 01:56 PM
Breaker yards have changed and I remember the ones like Mick said, but due to HSE rules some only have cars on the ground now or stacked high and you need to call the forklift to get it off the stack.
The bonus of scrappies now is that they group all the makes together ie Ford, Vauxhall, Rover etc..