PDA

View Full Version : Zs180 mk1 for my mk1 zt160

kev mocko
18-04-13, 01:59 PM
Hi folks ive not really been on here in a while,i sold my zs180 being out of work and then had a zr160 didnt like that and now ive got a zt160+. The thing is i still miss my zs180 a bit and i have been offered another one for exchange of my zt. Now i know this is a good forum and you guys have looked after me in the past so i took the zs out for a ride and it all seemed fine very clean 02 reg.

But two probs heaters stuck on hot its like the control knob is jammed and when out for a drive when i was pulling up slowly turning into the guys drive the pass side made rubbery squeaking noise?? now i checked the cv boot looks fine.

The guy then found the front spring to be snapped so i said if he was to change this if that solves the prob im still intrested as the zt is faultless,What else would you say would cause this as hes not managed to solve the fault and i dont want to jump in and get it incase its something quite costly? any ideas guys and also would you say my zt 52reg is worth a fair swap for the 180? both standard cars.I cant decide what to do as i like the zt but it is a heavy car even on hills the 2.5 takes a bit to climb them being but i suppose theyre more about comfort than being as quick as the zs.

petet16
18-04-13, 02:14 PM
The top mount for the spring/shock could be making the noise.

The heater stuck on hot is most likely the cable come out of it's retaining clip, a 2 minute fix, but don't tell the seller that lol.

ZS
18-04-13, 02:20 PM
A quick look on Auto Trader tells me that both cars seem to be around the same value...

Personally I prefer the 180... but I would be pushing for some money your way, especially if your car is perfect and this 180 seems to have a few niggles...

I think its going to come down to condition of the 180 compared to your 160 and personal preference as to which you would prefer to run.

Remember if he approached you then you may have the ability to haggle a bit ;)

kev mocko
18-04-13, 02:20 PM
Cheers the guy said its only sqeaking on full lock strangely enough?

petet16
18-04-13, 02:26 PM
The squeak could be anything tbh, but I can't imagine it would be anything too expensive to sort.

kev mocko
18-04-13, 04:55 PM
What would you suggest it may be the squeak guys, i like the car but dont want to rush into anything but i do like it, just the squeaking rubbing noise on full lock on the pass side is a bit of a concern

scotttait
18-04-13, 05:06 PM
If you weren't so far away I'd probably offer a swap. Want a zt. Preferably a zt+t.

kev mocko
18-04-13, 07:27 PM
Thats what mine is mate the plus model with the toys too

maxtherotti
19-04-13, 06:16 PM
To be fair they are completly different cars
I own a mk1 2001 zs180 and love it to bits for a thrash around the coast roads
I also have a mk2 2004 ztt 190 se (very high spec) and its 90% as quick as the zs but 90% more comfortable
If i have any sort of distance to go its the zt keys i reach for

But there is just something about the zs' combination of handling/performance that is very hard to resist and its much more simple in spanner terms (no can bus system/stupid door locks etc etc)

Rob

Wildcat
19-04-13, 09:35 PM
Just doing the rounds, I have just bought my 180. Check the cam belt doesn't need changing it's about £700 to get it replaced at a dealer, and a bitch of a job if you do it yourself, I have been told. My rear suspension bushes needed replacing I think that was £300 and the seal around the thermostat was cracked another £300. But like you I swopped my old car for this one and now have a sorted 180.

maxtherotti
22-04-13, 10:03 PM
Just doing the rounds, I have just bought my 180. Check the cam belt doesn't need changing it's about £700 to get it replaced at a dealer, and a bitch of a job if you do it yourself, I have been told. .

You have been told wrong chap
The going rate for belts and pump using genuine parts is £450
Still not cheap but easier to swallow than £700
And was it rear bushes on a zs or zt?
Sounds very expensive if on a zs

Rob

petet16
22-04-13, 10:10 PM
The trailing arm bushes for the zs are about £8 to buy from xpart.

petet16
22-04-13, 10:11 PM
£300 to replace a thermostat !!?

fastmike
23-04-13, 05:36 AM
You have been told wrong chap
The going rate for belts and pump using genuine parts is £450
Still not cheap but easier to swallow than £700
And was it rear bushes on a zs or zt?
Sounds very expensive if on a zs

Rob

Where I live its £900

stamford
23-04-13, 07:05 AM
Thermostat is under £50 to buy the kit and an hours labour. As said belts are circa £450 these days.

ZS
23-04-13, 09:23 AM
The local garages round here are quoting £900 for the belt change as well (not including water pump and tensioner...)

Where can you get it for £450 or less then?

peterzs
23-04-13, 01:44 PM
Try MG Rover Solutions.

Russell sorted my TF. and Stamfords V6

http://www.mgroversolutions.com/

Might be worth a email