PDA

View Full Version : Potential Starting Issue?

drewesq
24-04-13, 08:12 AM
Well, up until about a week ago my MG would start on the button and fire straight away, now it still starts on the first key turn but the car doesn't fire with the same amount of power, if that makes sense, it is kind of lazy starting. I have tested the battery at rest and there is 13 volts across the terminals. The plugs and HT leads were both changed in the last 7 or 8 months

Fuel filter was changed about 3 months ago and air filter was changed in the last 9 months

I will check the plugs to see how clean they are at the weekend, but does anyone think it might actually be the battery? The plugs I used were 'Motorcraft' - should I change them for a better brand?

Thanks

:)

stamford
24-04-13, 08:16 AM
Is it turning over slower than usual? Suggest trying a known good battery and then maybe look at the starter itself secondly.

drewesq
24-04-13, 08:28 AM
Is it turning over slower than usual? Suggest trying a known good battery and then maybe look at the starter itself secondly.

Yeah, I guess you could say it was turning over slower than usual. I read someone else had starting issues and they cleaned the 'spade connector' on the starter motor, I don't know where the starter motor is!

petet16
24-04-13, 08:31 AM
A couple of things you could try, with it running switch on a few high load circuits and check the voltage across the battery, you should see about 14V, anything much lower could be a sign of the alternator failing.

Check the battery live and earth leads for cleanliness and security of attachment.

drewesq
24-04-13, 08:44 AM
A couple of things you could try, with it running switch on a few high load circuits and check the voltage across the battery, you should see about 14V, anything much lower could be a sign of the alternator failing.

With the engine running and full beam plus radio on? I had noticed in the past the alternator 'whine' gets louder with the main beam is switched on, I wasn't sure if this was a problem or normal, but perhaps it is failing...?!

Check the battery live and earth leads for cleanliness and security of attachment.

I have already checked the battery terminals and they look clean and tight, the earth is securely on the slam panel too

petet16
24-04-13, 09:15 AM
Yes, engine running, and lights on, blower fan on full should be enough.

talkingcars
24-04-13, 05:33 PM
I would check the earth leads first, especially the one that connects to the slam panel and the one from the gearbox.

To find the starter follow the thick lead from the battery, one goes to the alternator, the other goes down towards the gearbox where the starter is, just towards the back of the engine.

It is possible that the starter is failing, mine did, while the spade terminal on both mine and the ZR have failed in the past.