PDA

View Full Version : rear diffuser should i shouldnt i....

redzed
29-04-13, 01:32 PM
ive bought a clio rear diffuser and i tested it on a old mk2 bumper i had to see if i should fit it. what do you think? bad photos i know but you get the idea. Its for track not for looks in case your wondering. According to clio they add 15-20kgs of downforce which i'll be keen on testing. Anyway thoughts welcome before i chop up my actual bumper.

Sonic_160zr
29-04-13, 01:39 PM
Looks like a close fit, little bit of filling etc needed but I like it. Would be interesting to see if it makes any any difference on its own to the downforce though.

Cheers,
Matt

drewesq
29-04-13, 01:43 PM
even if you're not doing it for looks, I think it still looks good!

Djules
29-04-13, 01:46 PM
Oh yes ! :yes:

I've heard that mod once but never seen before. And I love that !
Can't wait to seen it finished...

petet16
29-04-13, 01:59 PM
I looked at doing that, but shied away in the end, I still think it would look good though

WalkerDnB
29-04-13, 02:04 PM
That looks really smart!
doubt it would look any good on a mk1 though :/

Sent from my GT-S5363 using Tapatalk 2

Skillen
29-04-13, 02:06 PM
Looks pretty good! There's a mk2 ZR with a focus RS diffuser!
Something to look at if it works though! Even just for looks.
Def not on a mk1 though!

Smokey
29-04-13, 02:27 PM
I had this on my back burner if I ever came across a spare bumper. Was thinking the Ford Focus (not RS) one at the time. Screw downforce, it looks immense! DO IT!

(Then do a how to, so I can do mine :D)

Djules
29-04-13, 02:29 PM
A spanish member of ZSC already did the trick : http://www.zscentral.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8276&start=30#p118669

It looks better with duplex exhaust !

redzed
29-04-13, 02:57 PM
minds made up and im going to do it. easy to do to be honest so i'll take lots of pics. just spraying it up now so it will be gloss black. wont be able to fit till later this week though.

POMPSKI
29-04-13, 04:06 PM
Looks awesome.......

Mark S
29-04-13, 04:40 PM
it should look really good, I have thought about something similar, clio or rs focus.

I have heard that some people in racing cut out the spare wheel well and get the aero working from much further forward in the car and shape to the rear wheels, but all of this makes it a hell of a lot of work unless you are racing and regs allow it.

talkingcars
29-04-13, 05:07 PM
I've always fancied putting one of those on the maestro.

For road use one could revert to a mk1 boot.

peterzs
29-04-13, 05:10 PM
looks the biz, even if it doesnt add much downforce, still worth it for the look.

:yes::yes::yes:

Jay-ZS+
29-04-13, 06:20 PM
I like it, had thought of doing a similar thing with an evo diffuser.

As far as downforce, cant see it making any difference. Not that you would really want much on the rear anyway.

daytona365
29-04-13, 06:43 PM
Why not go the whole hog, and make the Zed flat bottomed......... oh and make the rear wing move, so a bit of DRS...

Noobrider
29-04-13, 06:50 PM
or just fit a BTCC spoiler

redzed
29-04-13, 07:01 PM
the idea is the zs hatch doesnt need much downforce on the rear but a little stabilsing, a spoiler adds downforce but also drag,a diffuser will add downforce and stability but not drag. The saloon spoiler only adds about 10kgs worth of downforce if that, but a heck lot of drag. so in theory this should be what im after

redzed
29-04-13, 07:02 PM

the one on the zs didnt do much at all! more for looks than purpose.

POMPSKI
29-04-13, 07:18 PM
the idea is the zs hatch doesnt need much downforce on the rear but a little stabilsing, a spoiler adds downforce but also drag,a diffuser will add downforce and stability but not drag. The saloon spoiler only adds about 10kgs worth of downforce if that, but a heck lot of drag. so in theory this should be what im after

I think the aerodynamic balance is pretty spot on. I can see a performance gain with a hatch/saloon without the extreme spoiler, but with a spoiler you will still have all the drag/downforce, any extra may affect stability/grip/traction on the front, amplified by the fact it is FWD. Greater downforce on the rear is a different story on a RWD though....

I think it would have to be a completely cosmetic mod, without knowing how much downforce it will put down.

stamford
29-04-13, 08:00 PM
Looks to be a close fit, do it. It is one mod I had considered just for the looks.

Dan1971
29-04-13, 08:00 PM
Looks good ....

Cally180
29-04-13, 08:57 PM
doubt it would make a noticeable difference, but defo looks the part and I think I would do it if I got the chance

Mark S
29-04-13, 10:32 PM

on a hatch the aero is different to the btcc saloon

the idea is the zs hatch doesnt need much downforce on the rear but a little stabilsing, a spoiler adds downforce but also drag,a diffuser will add downforce and stability but not drag. The saloon spoiler only adds about 10kgs worth of downforce if that, but a heck lot of drag. so in theory this should be what im after[/QUOeTE]

aero works above approx 70mph, the zs is not a quick car and averages about 70mph typically (circuit dependant) so aero is not in force all the time, this is one concern, stability can be sorted with correct spring rates and damping front and rear.
ideally you want aero at speed and a more planted rear as a result (eg, a decent spoiler that works) and for lower speeds an active rear that helps you turn the corners, ie, no aero and a lively back end (no puns pls)

As for down force, the std rear zs spoiler is too small and too insignificant to do much at all, for racing or track use it is well worth replacing with something more active.

[QUOTE=redzed;305596]the one on the zs didnt do much at all! more for looks than purpose.

Zed Lee
30-04-13, 09:11 AM
Well I think it looks rubbish it should be removed straight away and brought to my house and fitted to my bumper :yes:

Looks good and I want one lol

MG 53 ZED
30-04-13, 09:45 AM
Was thinking about doing this to mine not so long ago, looking at yours I wish I had of that looks outstanding.

James Raby
01-05-13, 01:37 PM
I've only got one comment to make really

DAMN WELL DO IT!!

Looks stunning!

redzed
01-05-13, 03:21 PM
done pics in new thread

talkingcars
01-05-13, 05:23 PM
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=25172