PDA

View Full Version : Valeting Services - Use them?

MGZS180
05-01-08, 05:17 PM
Not sure if anyone wants to start a poll here, but there is a poll over at Vister Forums, regarding the question of people using valeting services to clean your car....

Poll Here (http://www.vister.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=746)

arwilson80
05-01-08, 07:21 PM
I never use them... Why pay when you can take the time and do it yourself. :)

Z Scotland
05-01-08, 09:30 PM
I never use them... Why pay when you can take the time and do it yourself. :)
Yip me too bit of elbow grease never done any harm.

shroonie29
05-01-08, 09:33 PM
I use a cracking service.
It's me

Shroon

rbull51
06-01-08, 10:07 AM
I agree, never use them. I have watched some of these so called ''professional'' valeters at work! Some of them only wash the sponge out once and start from the bottom of the car (where all the dirt is) and go all over with a dirty and gritty sponge & end up scratching the painwork. Some others are leaning over the car before they have cleaned them while talking to thier mates!
Plus i enjoy washing my own car........:super:

MGZS180
06-01-08, 10:48 AM
It is the valeters described in the above post that give the rest of the industry a bad name. I am sure there are people out there providing an excellent service.

D3monstrate
06-01-08, 10:56 AM
Im a Valeter, but I only clean out Hire Cars... But I do my own while Im there... :D

rbull51
06-01-08, 12:31 PM
It is the valeters described in the above post that give the rest of the industry a bad name. I am sure there are people out there providing an excellent service.
Im sure there are people who take pride in thier jobs but its just a case of picking one that you trust. From the ones i have seen i dont think i could trust them...

G man
06-01-08, 01:15 PM
I had mine done once only cost me £20 bcoz it was done by a mate, but never again , u get no pride or satisfaction from someone else cleaning ur pride & joy :mml:

Maxxed_Ross
06-01-08, 01:34 PM
I can't see the appeal at all in getting someone else to wash your car for you. That's how you get to know it and normally how you spot problems.

I need my car gone over with an electric buffer to get rid of the scratches the previous owner made with a car wash, but I'd only use a service I could trust. Luckily a few friends or freinds or friends around here come highly recommended.

al_roverMG
06-01-08, 01:44 PM
Are we talking valeters here (ie a monkey with a sponge who has no skill) or are we talking detailers (ie someone who takes pride in their work, thinks a sponge is only for use in the bath and uses only the best techniques and products) as they are totally different animals.

I would never use a valeter, my car is worth far more to me than that but i would, and have, happily used a detailer to clean my car. There is a good place in Southampton but they are not cheap. Have said that the more i gain in experience (and products) the less likely i am to use a detailer as i can do it myself. Shortly will be investing in a Megs G220 DA polisher (not for use on my car though as it would take the Dimondbrite off) at which point i can do the lot myself.

Z Scotland
06-01-08, 04:01 PM
Thats another thing i dont use! D/thru car wash f***s up the paint work.:yes:

mattie007
06-01-08, 04:09 PM
Made that mistake once. Got a free voucher for a car wash and now the car looks like someone has washed it with wire wool. Never again!:shoot:

MGZS180
06-01-08, 04:47 PM
A relative of a mate of mine took a car through a roller wash and ended up having the car paintwork scratched to bits.... there was a broken car ariel in the brushes !

Steves Cleenz
06-01-08, 04:55 PM
I agree, never use them. I have watched some of these so called ''professional'' valeters at work! Some of them only wash the sponge out once and start from the bottom of the car

they cant be professional if they use a sponge :spank:

as for detailer and valeters there is no difference :boxing:, i call my self a "valeter" as i dont want to be seen as an American :clown: as this is is all that it means "detailer is the american word for valeting" as over there a "valet" is a bloke who parks your car, but you are asking this question to the wrong sort of people, we on here are Enthusiasts and wouldnt trust anyone else touching our cars, Agree?,

MGZS180
06-01-08, 05:01 PM
"....but you are asking this question to the wrong sort of people, we on here are Enthusiasts and wouldnt trust anyone else touching our cars, Agree?,

Good point.

wilko66
06-01-08, 06:54 PM
I always clean my car myself, don't see the point of getting someone else to do and paying for it. Besides theres nothing like spending a couple of hours cleaning your motor then looking back and giving yourself a pat on the back for a job well done.:w00t:

KevG
06-01-08, 07:03 PM
I always clean my car myself, don't see the point of getting someone else to do and paying for it. Besides theres nothing like spending a couple of hours cleaning your motor then looking back and giving yourself a pat on the back for a job well done.:w00t:

And then a bird shits on it and you have to do it all over again!!!

wilko66
06-01-08, 07:16 PM
And then a bird shits on it and you have to do it all over again!!!

Okay thats spooky, coz thats just what happened yesterday. or was it you :shifty:

MGZS180
06-01-08, 07:34 PM
Tellme about it. Washedmine. 2 hours later in ASDA car park.... there it was !

Robstar
07-01-08, 01:08 PM
I also like to wash it myself and after stare at her and think WOW!!!

chriszs180
07-01-08, 01:58 PM
i normally pay £5 for the local latvians to give mine a good going over they are very good and jetwash ,soap wash, jet wash, re soap,wash and rince they then spay polish and dry for you blacken the tyres and polish the glass

all for a £5 and it takes 10mins....

i then go home and polish it my self and finish it off so between us it looks good and i feel good as well looking at it..

or i did now just leave in a ford garage

MGZS180
08-01-08, 10:42 AM
Think I will get someone to give my caravan a good going over the next time I clean it. Due to a tree, it needs a good pressure washing on the roof.

Steves Cleenz
08-01-08, 10:48 AM
john i have a special polish for the exterior of caravans and last for upto 1 year

MGZS180
08-01-08, 11:42 AM
Sounds good. Have you ever found a good solution to cleaning up the plastic bits of the caravan bodywork. On mine the roof is plastic and so is the front panel and these don't clean up too well from standard washing a polishing, seems to take forever to get them right.

Steves Cleenz
08-01-08, 04:10 PM
i have a chemical that will get the plastics back to white

MGZS180
09-01-08, 08:33 AM
Top job. When the weather breaks I will perhaps give you a shout so you can give the caravan a going over for the start of season.