PDA

View Full Version : Well that's mine written off.

Skillen
10-05-13, 07:22 AM
Some idiot pulled out from a junction, didn't look hit another woman in the side of her car and the hit my car with the momentum.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/cskil/photo_zpsc4c38e0f.jpg

R8NMG
10-05-13, 07:28 AM
Wow that didn't last long. Doesn't look that bad.

petet16
10-05-13, 07:33 AM
That's not a write off, I wouldn't even bother with the insurance for that.

petet16
10-05-13, 07:37 AM
Wrong colour, but back on the road for £140
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-180-120-1-8-2-5-MK2-FACELIFT-BODY-KIT-RED-CEV-FRONT-BUMPER-/321097325990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac2e45da6

Skillen
10-05-13, 07:41 AM
The lad needs to go through his insurance as he had a hire car and totally ruined that.
And the other ladies car was damaged quite a lot.
So it'll have to as that all needs sorted and hopefully they won't but they like to write ours off for very little.

Enright
10-05-13, 07:58 AM
Insurance companies would still prefer to spend as little as possible, and if that means settling for satisfactory 2nd hand parts then they'll take the common-sense approach (especially if someone else has already been clever enough to source them on their behalf).
Just a thought but when I got my car it had no front bumper on it. I bought an XPG one from a trader who is no longer on this site and had it sprayed. That was nearly 2 years ago and it's peeling a bit around the edges to reveal the original paint underneath.
There's probably good paint still under there.
I wouldn't mind that one that Pete found as my car is Firefrost (CEV). If you want a chat about going halves on it and then having mine, PM me.

M17TT180
10-05-13, 07:59 AM
Wrong colour, but back on the road for £140
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-180-120-1-8-2-5-MK2-FACELIFT-BODY-KIT-RED-CEV-FRONT-BUMPER-/321097325990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac2e45da6

Plus prep and spraying, new headlamp and a wheel refurb. Can see why it would be written off.

Unfortunate mate, guess you hadn't even tried the grill yet!

Could use my mk1 xpg to do a retro conversion!!

Skillen
10-05-13, 08:00 AM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/cskil/photo2_zps5404bd3f.jpg

Tomoose
10-05-13, 08:28 AM
Gutted for you. Hope it all gets sorted to your satisfaction.

What a pi$$er. :(

Tomoose
10-05-13, 08:44 AM
So you need a bumper, headlight and a wheel? Is the wing ok?

Its a certainty that it'll be written off. Please do buy it back though and don't let it be scrapped for such a minor amount of damage... :)

peterzs
10-05-13, 08:57 AM
Shame to hear, glad no one was hurt.

Bumper and headlight, plus labour to prep and paint, think I would get a couple of quotes from a body shop and see if the insurance would give you the money to sort out.

Or let them write it off and buy back.

The cat C or D wont matter much as unfortunately, the selling prices are low anyway.

Hope you can sort it easily.

BUCKYDEVIL
10-05-13, 09:08 AM
Will see what I can do to help you with that XPG MK2 breaking up here.

Captain Peanut
10-05-13, 09:18 AM
Not good news but, as already said, good that no-one was hurt. Hopefully you can get something sorted out and keep it on the road.

grimmy
10-05-13, 09:41 AM
I am going to have spook at the car this afternoon I will let you know what nick the bumper is in.what else is needed headlight,wing?

Skillen
10-05-13, 09:45 AM
I am going to have spook at the car this afternoon I will let you know what nick the bumper is in.what else is needed headlight,wing?

I think the wing is alright tbh.
Not had time to fully assess the car yet as I'm at work now.
Headlight will be, not sure what the stuff under the bumper is like.

grimmy
10-05-13, 10:17 AM
I think the wing is alright tbh.
Not had time to fully assess the car yet as I'm at work now.
Headlight will be, not sure what the stuff under the bumper is like.

Okay doke.like I say going for a nosy later.

shycho
10-05-13, 10:34 AM
My ZR needed the bumper and front wing fixing and re-spraying when a bus decided that we now give way to the left at roundabouts, but that wasn't written off, and I assume a ZS would be worth more so hopefully they just repair it.
Bet the hire company is fuming a 2 month old car has just been greatly devalued. But at least everyone was ok.

POMPSKI
10-05-13, 11:09 AM
NO!

Absolutely gutted for you mate......

Hope it all works out.....

petet16
10-05-13, 12:19 PM
A quick check of the cost of new parts, assuming it's just Bumper, headlight, and wheel arch flare comes out at £686, all are in stock at xpart.

Skillen
10-05-13, 12:20 PM
A quick check of the cost of new parts, assuming it's just Bumper, headlight, and wheel arch flare comes out at £686, all are in stock at xpart.

I shall let them know that :)
Be nice if it was new parts I got.
And if I had to buy it back with a payoff also then I could put that towards a re-spray :D

grimmy
10-05-13, 01:10 PM
Rightyho just back from having a quick look at it they want 80 quid for headlight and bumper for starters.the bumper has a very small scuff on the underneath edge on the drivers side but not bad the rest would polish up well.head light is fine.the drivers side doors have been keyed to death and a re in a poor state,passenger door has small dent other door seems okay.all door handles are wrecked bonnet,hatch and rear bumpers all okay,stainless back box.alcantara interior with quite heavy wear on the drivers seat as per usual.mk2 alloys with rubbish tyres.apparently it runs but never saw that.

petet16
10-05-13, 01:14 PM
That's not a bad price at all for a bumper and headlight, especially as they are the correct colour

Skillen
10-05-13, 01:19 PM
Sounds like a wreck the rest of it.
Not a bad price. If I can point them in the direction of it then hopefully they can get it and tidy it up for me.
Don't need the bonnet I don't think. But mine is full of stone chips

grimmy
10-05-13, 01:29 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173/grimmy1973/IMAG0167.jpg
A quick pic.

grimmy
10-05-13, 01:31 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173/grimmy1973/IMAG0168.jpg
Other side.

petet16
10-05-13, 01:35 PM
Are they going to sell the bumper with the fog lights and mesh still fitted, there could be some money to be made selling the left over bits that you don't need.

grimmy
10-05-13, 01:37 PM
Probably if you were removing the parts yourself they wouldn't have a clue if the other parts went with it to be honest.

petet16
10-05-13, 01:43 PM
Perfect:smile1:

Skillen
10-05-13, 01:57 PM
Hehe!
I'll get in touch with them.
If it goes ahead could grab the grill too and say it comes with it haha!

Doesn't look too bad nick to be honest.
How were the lights for cloudy lenses?

POMPSKI
10-05-13, 02:24 PM
I've got a spare pair of headlights stashed away for a rainy day if it comes to it.....

Skillen
10-05-13, 03:28 PM
I've just had a closer look now and it seems it has scratched and chipped paint on the wing and the bonnet too. And I think the slightly put of place looking bonnet could be the wing pushed back :(

It gets worse :(

Skillen
10-05-13, 03:31 PM
Cheers gents. Always get good support from forum members.
Makes it worthwhile being a supporter too.

ian zs180
10-05-13, 03:41 PM
Gutted for you mate hope you get it sorted ok

Skillen
10-05-13, 05:10 PM
Well apparently my insurer office is closed as is the bloody claims company that told me to ring back as the office would be open till 8.

Absolutely bollocks this ****. How the eff do they expect you to claim and sort **** quickly.

talkingcars
10-05-13, 05:50 PM
Gutted for you.

I would spend some time tomorrow morning getting quotes from a couple of body shops, I'd ask them for 3 quotes as follows
a)repair using new parts,
b)repair with you supplying new parts.
c)repair with you supplying used parts (so no painting).

I would then contact their insurance company saying that you will accept a cash settlement for a figure just below the highest and that you will arrange the repair - get the parts you need and repair yourself, I'm sure there will be help from the forum, then spend the difference on some mods.

Also worth collecting together all the current ads for the more expensive mk2 that are around at the moment so you can show the insurance companies the current true cost of a replacement against book.

Skillen
10-05-13, 07:00 PM
I will do just that.
Only problem is that I'm at work again tomorrow so not much time to do it.
The insurance company has a claim open now too.
Hopefully I can get my way a little!

Skillen
13-05-13, 12:57 PM
The claim people have been in touch and they want me to use a body shop in Gretna for the repairs.

The shop got in touch today, they said that they would like pics of the damage and they might struggle to find the parts.
I said that I would be able to help with new fittings and I could give them the links for new parts which they agreed to.
So I need links peeps :)
For:
Drivers side headlight
Front bumper with all the mk2 180 trimmings, spats etc.

Think the bonnet and wing could be sprayed but links to new would be nice if fixings for them are fubard.

Hopefully they'll be able to spray the full bonnet ;) (probably have to to make it blend no?

Hope it's a quick turnaround.

shycho
13-05-13, 01:18 PM
I would be asking them to respray the full bonnet. Because if they try and blend their new paint in with your old paint the lacquer they use will be weakened where the blending has taken place. Much easier to just spray the whole bonnet and be done with it.

petet16
13-05-13, 01:36 PM
Are they going to use all new parts, I'll do some links if it's new you're after

Skillen
13-05-13, 01:49 PM
Are they going to use all new parts, I'll do some links if it's new you're after

They said that they would use them new yeah! They said they might struggle to find parts. Tbh the bonnet and wing seem straight so more the bumper/light.

Thanks pete massive help!

peterzs
13-05-13, 01:52 PM
Dont know if this would help.

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=18511&highlight=accident+parts

May be worth a call.

petet16
13-05-13, 01:56 PM
They said that they would use them new yeah! They said they might struggle to find parts. Tbh the bonnet and wing seem straight so more the bumper/light.

Thanks pete massive help!

The drivers side wing I would re-use because the wheel arch and vent aren't available new, and swapping the old vent and arch on to a new wing might be a bit of a mission.

petet16
13-05-13, 02:10 PM
Here's a list to get you started, some of the bits from the front bumper they will re-use like foglights and mounts, stone guard,

Drivers side head light XBC002720 £274
Wheel arch spats L/H DFJ000290LML, R/H DFJ000280LML @£109 each
Bonnet BKA140100 £450
Drivers side wing ASB160020 £153
Bumper DPC001221LML £304

petet16
13-05-13, 02:16 PM
All the parts are available from stock at Rimmers, or can be ordered from your nearest xpart dealer, the main thing being everything is obtainable.

peterzs
13-05-13, 02:17 PM
Ouch, those wing spats are expensive!!!!

petet16
13-05-13, 02:25 PM
xpart dealers in the Gretna area http://www.xpartautoservice.com/default.aspx?uc=view_map&filter=purchase_parts

Type Cumbria in to the search box

petet16
13-05-13, 02:26 PM
Ouch, those wing spats are expensive!!!!

Aren't they just................wince

Skillen
13-05-13, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the links there Pete.
I now need I get closer pics if the damage for their estimations.
They are bloody expensive bits so hopefully won't cause them to write it off if it needs them all! Haha
Tbh should get away with just the new bumper and headlight and the spray job on the bonnet.
Now to get cracking and send it back ASAP and get this fixing started!

petet16
13-05-13, 05:17 PM
From the pics, all you really need is the bumper, and spat, although imo, that bumper would repair nicely.

Skillen
13-05-13, 05:25 PM
From the pics, all you really need is the bumper, and spat, although imo, that bumper would repair nicely.

It was pushed a way back to nearly the wheel so a few fixings may have gone but yeah I agree it would repair but I'm not gonna turn down a new bumper ;)

petet16
13-05-13, 05:26 PM
Here's some pics of a bumper I'm repairing at the moment, the damage was very similar to that on your's, the crush can had been forced through the bumper, splitting it and leaving a hole.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/petet16/100_2272_zps903910f0.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/petet16/media/100_2272_zps903910f0.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/petet16/100_2273_zps15fa95bb.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/petet16/media/100_2273_zps15fa95bb.jpg.html)

Skillen
13-05-13, 05:46 PM
Is that some kind of resin? I might but the bits back and attempt a fix!

petet16
13-05-13, 05:58 PM
Is that some kind of resin? I might but the bits back and attempt a fix!

It's a plastic bumper repair kit, you can get them from ebay, the kit has everything you need to do the repair

petet16
13-05-13, 06:03 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUMPER-PLASTIC-REPAIR-KIT-Weld-adhesive-car-trim-lugs-/220834372793?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item336ac11cb9

peterzs
14-05-13, 09:21 AM
Looks a good repair kit, better than buying a new bumper!!

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Skillen
05-06-13, 10:46 AM
Just an update on this:
Today the insurers rang and said that the cost of fixing the car exceeds the value so they've written it off.

I've now got two options.
£1575 and they take the car.
Or
£1165.50 and I keep the car.

Well pissed off as its a no fault claim and figured they would fix it and then just reclaim from the third party.
But I got the phonecall at work and my head wasn't screwed on right so I said I would mull it over.

What's your views?
Try and get more for it?

andys1981
05-06-13, 10:56 AM
some folk will say dont accept the first offer,me personally would keep the car and take the money,that way you can sort the zs and still have it on the road,and your insurance will be payed for the rest of the year etc,but thats just my opinion mate

Ritchy
05-06-13, 11:43 AM
Keep the car, will still sell for 800 ish with bumper damage

petet16
05-06-13, 12:07 PM
Keep the car and try and get a bit more cash out of them.

Tomoose
05-06-13, 12:09 PM
It sounds like a fair offer to be honest, I'd take it and keep it :)

Did they say if it would be Cat C or D.

Smokey
05-06-13, 12:40 PM
Keep it, use some of the money to get it as it was, use the rest to improve it :)

Skillen
05-06-13, 12:41 PM
Ahh forgot to say it will be a category c write off.

I do want to keep it.
But it will now require more time and effort on my part even though it was the third parties fault and he accepted liability.
I'm losing out with my car, my insurance and my money and time now.
He lost a little bit from his deposit on his HIRE car.
So I lose out more than him.
Can they write it off on a third party claim?

Skillen
05-06-13, 05:29 PM
Just did a quick 8 car average on the mk2 zs with body kit price up.

The average price came back as £2259.25.

Even the non-kitted ones are going at around £1600.

I'm gonna try for a bit more out of the deal.

Got a quick quote off a garage who said they could repair the bumper (if I got an arch spat) for £120+VAT.

I have headlights I bought earlier in the year, so hopefully could get it sorted for cheap and have some playing money.

I just looked at some definitions too and there are mixed views but I will try and argue a Cat D as it is only the bumper and headlight really.

petet16
05-06-13, 05:36 PM
A bit more money, cat d instead of c would be a good deal.

I was looking at buying an accident damaged fiat 500 to repair, some of the cars on Copart that were cat d had way more damage than a cat c zs.

talkingcars
05-06-13, 05:48 PM
That is never a cat c - I would even consider sending them the quote you've had and ask them how a car worth £2200 is a write off with a couple of £100's worth of damage.

Even if they insist on writing it off there is no structural damage that would render it a cat c.

Skillen
05-06-13, 05:56 PM
That is never a cat c - I would even consider sending them the quote you've had and ask them how a car worth £2200 is a write off with a couple of £100's worth of damage.

Even if they insist on writing it off there is no structural damage that would render it a cat c.

but they might fix it at that quote price and i kinda fancy some cash to spend on her XD

I agree though I was shocked when they called, I expected them to be telling me when it was going in considering last thursday they had said the repair company had ordered the parts and were waiting for delivery!

Skillen
06-06-13, 12:01 PM
Update from today's phone call.
I said I had averaged at £2200 over 8 cars of similar/lesser spec.
He checked again (01-05 I might add) and got £1630 pre accident value.
I tried to explain about there being a mk1 and mk2 but he said the system only had one in there.

So offered £1630 they take the car.
Or
£1205 and I keep the car.

Then offered £1700 and they take the car.
Or
£1105 and I keep the car on a cat D (cat doesn't really bother me as I'm not looking to sell)

He said if he went online he's sure he could find them for less than that price but again didn't seem to understand the two types thing.
Said optional extras like heated seats, climate control electric rear windows don't count in aftermarket value.
Only in presales new car value.

Don't know what to do now.
Don't know if its a fair price.
Any advice?
Thanks.

shycho
06-06-13, 12:07 PM
Could you try talking to a different person at your insurance company and point out to them that an 09 mk6 Ford Fiesta would obviously cost more than an 09 mk5 Ford Fiesta as they are the new shape, and more desirable and therefore hold their value better as it seems talking about MG ZS's in the same manner goes over there heads.

Perhaps offer to email them an unedited list of results from autotrader for mkII models?

Can't think of what else you can do really.

petet16
06-06-13, 12:16 PM
Make them a counter offer, £1150 you keep the car on a cat d, the write off category does make a difference, if it's cat c you need a vic before you can mot it and put it back on the road, it's only an identity check and doesn't involve the quality of any repairs, if it's a cat d none of the new mot and vic check applies.

Skillen
06-06-13, 12:35 PM
Make them a counter offer, £1150 you keep the car on a cat d, the write off category does make a difference, if it's cat c you need a vic before you can mot it and put it back on the road, it's only an identity check and doesn't involve the quality of any repairs, if it's a cat d none of the new mot and vic check applies.
MOT is due end of this month anyway so that seems to negate it to me. Dunno what the insurance would do though in terms of increasing my renewal.

Also I counter offered at £1300 and keep the car and he said he couldn't as that would be over the price of the car pre-accident and their auditors if they looked would ask questions as to how they came to that price of something.

talkingcars
06-06-13, 05:22 PM
I would be printing out every advert I could find for the same model and writing to them.

Skillen
06-06-13, 07:13 PM
I would be printing out every advert I could find for the same model and writing to them.

Think I'm going to have to, I said I'd email him the list of ten cars I had with their prices on but he said he could so the same with lower ones.

So gentlemen who read this,
Apart from the ones on eBay and auto trader that I already have in a list.
If you see some for sale could you please post them up here please?

This is the list I have so far.

£1800 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-MG-ZS-RED-/251274348911?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a811e496f

£2495 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-2-5-180-IN-OUTSTANDING-CONDITION-YOU-WILL-FALL-IN-LOVE-WITH-IT-I-HAVE-/370829054817?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item5657225361

£2000 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305256956639/sort/default/usedcars/quantity-of-doors/4/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/model/zs/make/mg/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/2/postcode/ca139ba/radius/1501?logcode=p

£1800 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201208451052949/sort/default/usedcars/quantity-of-doors/4/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/model/zs/make/mg/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/2/postcode/ca139ba/radius/1501?logcode=p

£1694 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305206846292/sort/default/usedcars/quantity-of-doors/4/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/model/zs/make/mg/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/2/postcode/ca139ba/radius/1501?logcode=p

£3495 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201240486956241/sort/default/usedcars/model/zs/make/mg/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/ca139ba/radius/1500/page/12?logcode=p

£2495 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304196358087/sort/default/usedcars/model/zs/make/mg/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/ca139ba/radius/1500/page/12?logcode=p

£2295 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305307026319/sort/default/usedcars/model/zs/make/mg/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/ca139ba/radius/1500/page/12?logcode=p

Average for MG ZS mk2 with bodykit £2259.25

Cat D damaged MG ZS - £1400 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-MGZS-2005-FACELIFT-cat-D-damaged-repairable-repaired-salvage-body-Kit-/111071228991?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item19dc5c743f

Without body kit mk2 ZS
£2495 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-54-MG-ZS-1-8-120-Red-/271183619634?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f23cda632

£1795 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MGF-ZS-1-8-120-/171045410740?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27d319d7b4

MG ZS STE
06-06-13, 07:44 PM
Tell the guy to do just that then. There arnt that many cheap MK2 180s about at the moment.

Skillen
06-06-13, 07:58 PM
Tell the guy to do just that then. There arnt that many cheap MK2 180s about at the moment.

The thing is, the idiot is basing his search on his "system"
On cars from 2001-2005 so he's gonna look at them!

I'm giving him one more chance tomorrow, after that I'm gonna lay it down on the line.

shycho
06-06-13, 10:10 PM
Perhaps send a few pictures of your car and explain the difference again too him. It can't be too hard to tell the difference between an mk1 and an mk2

Mark S
07-06-13, 07:00 AM
The thing is, the idiot is basing his search on his "system"
On cars from 2001-2005 so he's gonna look at them!

I'm giving him one more chance tomorrow, after that I'm gonna lay it down on the line.

the chaps 'system' will most likely be ebay, autotrader and pistonheads, its rare they look at cap or glasses guides for cars at this end of the market.

That's not always a bad thing tho.

Example.
An 2005 1.8+ with 87k book trade glasses at £435, cap ave at £540, obviously it is worth more with the kit if it had it. Dealer retail is 1735-1750, but unless you are a big garage/dealer, you tend to work under these prices by quite a margin.
An 03 plate 120+ trades at 320quid!

So the book probably wouldn't work in your favor

Just giving you the angle these guys work at, not agreeing with them.

I don't know your mileage, but assuming its average miles - say 80k or thereabouts;
Personally I would have thought an 1800 valuation is realistic for payout in this case.
mods, belts etc do not add to the value for payout, even owning and liking the ZS and my bias towards them, I still wouldn't get anywhere 2200 for a payout unless it was low miles such as 40k.