PDA

View Full Version : Grinding from rear

Jay-ZS+
12-05-13, 09:05 PM
Last few weeks Ive noticed a grinding sound coming from what sounds like the rear nearside wheel.

Thing is it only happens when Im hammering it round a roundabout and the car has a fair bit of roll. First I thought it was a bearing but doesnt happen at speed in a straight line. Also crossed my mind it could be the tyre rubbing but the car isnt lowered and it sounds more mechanical. Prehaps a loose brake guard??

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas what to look for?

petet16
12-05-13, 09:16 PM
I'd be checking the wheel bearing on the side that's making the noise, they sometimes don't make noise at speed, but are still worn.

Captain Peanut
12-05-13, 10:05 PM
Sounds a good call, have had fronts go before that are only audible when under cornering load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevG
12-05-13, 11:32 PM
Suspect a rear bearing mate, they can grumble, when load is applied but not in a straight line.

Din
13-05-13, 05:44 AM
Stuck pads can make grinding style noises too, wheel bearings tend to grumble as said.

Jay-ZS+
13-05-13, 06:24 AM
That's cool, I suspected the bearing just assumed it would be noisy at speed. Least its an easy fix.

peterzs
13-05-13, 09:36 AM
Big nut done up tight, wheel nuts torqued up, sticky sliders done the rear, rear pad in????

Plus I'll think of a few more!!

DuckFeet
23-05-13, 10:22 AM
Is there a disk guard on the back? I bent my front one and that made gindy noises but only on full lock.

petet16
23-05-13, 11:21 AM
Is there a disk guard on the back? I bent my front one and that made gindy noises but only on full lock.

There is, they can make grinding noises if they get disturbed during pad changes etc, front ones more so because the track rod end can push the shield against the disc at full lock

MickUK
23-05-13, 02:08 PM
Rear pads have "squealers" or wear indicators on them, could be that. Same thing happened on mine.

gibbzy2k1
24-05-13, 12:37 PM
Sorry to hijack but I have a similar problem. Only my is more a clicking, banging noise rather than grinding. Its almost like something stuck on the wheel going round only seems a bit more metal on metal sound. nothing seems to change the sound so its not breaks but it does get louder when turning right. I was thinking bearing on the passenger side rear?