PDA

View Full Version : little problem???

chris01
21-05-13, 12:40 PM
iv had a one off problem with my mk1 180, i was coming off a slip road behind a very slow moving car, sitting in 3rd gear at about 30mph, as i joined the main road i went to give it a bit of beans to get up to speed with the rest of the traffic and nothing happened :( so i let off the throttle and then tryed again which resulted in me juddering down the road not really picking up any speed, pulled over as soon as i could and the car sounded as rough as hell, as if it was misfiring, so i switched it off and checked the leads etc and everything looked fine, got back in the car fired it up and drove it again, it drove without fault, nice smooth power etc, wierd, i pulled into a garage to ask to take a quick look and they couldnt find any problem and said it was probably having a funny 5 minutes, the car has driven faultlessly since as it always has, any ideas what this could of been? maybe telling me it wants a service?

ZS
21-05-13, 12:45 PM
Possibly a bit of a blockage going through the fuel filter... if it needs a service I'd get on and do one (a service that is!) ;)

chris01
21-05-13, 12:48 PM
it had a full service 6000 miles ago, what are the intervals? looking through the cars history its had a full service every 8000? so probably is due another soon, i suppose doing plugs and filters wont break the bank lol

ZS
21-05-13, 02:33 PM
it had a full service 6000 miles ago, what are the intervals? looking through the cars history its had a full service every 8000? so probably is due another soon, i suppose doing plugs and filters wont break the bank lol

12000 miles or every year, which ever is sooner.

Was the fuel filter done on the last service?

peterzs
21-05-13, 02:38 PM
would a crank or cam sensor do that, if its just a bit dirty????

petet16
21-05-13, 03:10 PM
If you have a fault code reader it could be worth checking if there is any stored fault codes, but other than that, fuel filter maybe.

ZS
21-05-13, 03:43 PM
would a crank or cam sensor do that, if its just a bit dirty????

Crank Sensor possibly... but I would have thought it would be more regular if that was the case and the last car I saw with a crank sensor failure just stopped then after it cooled down would start again, till it warmed up again...

chris01
21-05-13, 04:22 PM
yeah all the filters were done on the last service, if definatly sounded like it was missing a bit when i pulled over, would it sound like that if it was a filter?? no lights came on the dash etc, is it worth changing the coil pack?? i might give it an early service and a good cleanout

petet16
21-05-13, 04:39 PM
I suggested checking for fault codes because it potentially saves the cost and time of changing random items. :smile1: