PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 Red 180 Hatch

Dan1971
30-05-13, 02:10 PM
The Rationale.

Basically I need to ship one of the fleet - for some reason the insurance for my 3 cars has gone from £750 last year to £1500 this year on a multi car policy to renew. Now I know I can shop around a bit, but the quote has got me looking at the whole having 3 cars situation. I've done about 1500 miles in the Zed since the last MOT and about 800 of that has been going up and down to Portsmouth on a couple of do stuff days and a trip to Brands. The Mondy's already up for sale hopefully with a buyer coming from Cheshire next weekend. This will put some money back in the savings.

Bottom line is that there are lots of rumours around medically retiring officers who are restricted as part of a review - of which I am one - so I need to tighten the reigns a bit just in case. Prior to the retirements there will be a £3K pay cut.

Everyone's feeling financial pressure - and I'm no different - 3 cars is a luxury I can no longer afford.

The plan will be to get the cash in the bank for the Mondeo - replenish the savings, but add a few quid to Red to get 4 cylinder or diesel ZS to get to and from work. I'm in no hurry though as the Mondy's still outside and the insurance isn't due til the middle of June.

The Car

Now I've posted plenty about Red on here having bought it cheap and spent a few quid on her. The "ugly duckling" thread is the best to be honest.

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=23947&highlight=ugly+duckling

Issues - body's got some marks and scars. Advisory on the last MOT was that there's a small hole in the floorplan - not big enough or near enough to any important areas to fail, but it was noted.

Lots of work done on her since I got it as follows -

Serviced
Alcantara
45 headlights and steering wheel
Renault splitter
New badges
New bosch battery
Refurbed vis motors checked and working
Rear strut brace
Focal rear speakers
Team Dynamics black alloys with very good tread on budget tyres
Rear bearing just changed and heater resistor fixed so no rumbling from the rear and the fan working - (AC needs a re-gas though)
ITG induction with CAF from inner wing

Came with a scorpion stainless back-box and I've got a decat for it in the shed.

Belts have been done once when it was 6 yrs old, receipt to prove, but it's now 12 years old so technically speaking they are due again.

Got a few months tax and MOT likewise.

I want £1000 for it as she stands with the decat thrown in, or £850 without the ITG and decat.

Ideally though, you'll have a 110, 120, or a diesel and fancy owning a 180 and we come to an arrangement and like I say - I'll hopefully have a few quid to throw into the deal for the right car.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/Windows015.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/Windows016.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/Windows017.jpg

stamford
30-05-13, 03:58 PM
I know how you feel Dan, been there many times before myself and not that long ago either. However one thing I will say is, shop around for three separate insurance policies as Admiral are known for ripping off policy holders once they have you on their multi-car cover. I know as I have been there and done it. My renewals at the time came in with a massive hike like you. I then shopped around and found that the three cars were alot cheaper than Admiral and I mean ALOT! So don't discount that yet and try a few comparison sites to weigh up the options. I'm paying £105 a month for the modified ZS (10 months), the Vectra Elite and the MGF.

Anyway, if it has to go then that zed is a great car!

Dan1971
30-05-13, 04:26 PM
Thanks Mick.

Everyone knows that I've put some time and effort into Red and I now know why people feel attached to their cars - after doing some work to them - and historically it's not something I've ever done. They do become like a part of the family really. Last time I had the bumper off at home, the Mrs helped me put it back on...and that's never happened before.

Bottom line is that I can't justify insuring and taxing a car that I hardly ever use any more.

Its not even the fuel that is an issue so to be fair, it's just the additional tax and insurance - and I can't SORN it as I don't have anywhere off the road to store it, so I'd have a V6 if one comes along and I intend for it to be one of the best on here, but it'll be my daily driver too, not just parked outside in the bay looking good.

So - it will go - but will be replaced by another ZS.

scotttait
30-05-13, 09:14 PM
Some nice parts on the list. Nice looking car

Dan1971
08-06-13, 06:52 PM
No longer for sale - now my daily runner.

M17TT180
08-06-13, 06:54 PM
Selling your ITG?

Dan1971
08-06-13, 06:55 PM
Selling your ITG?

No mate - thats why I'm keeping it !

Saying that £250 and it's yours ....

M17TT180
08-06-13, 06:57 PM
No mate - thats why I'm keeping it !

Saying that £250 and it's yours ....