PDA

View Full Version : The Most Over-Engineered Part

POMPSKI
31-05-13, 01:56 PM
Go on then, at a time when money was very limited, what part would be the most over-engineered you have come across on your ZS?

For me it would have to be the Mk2 Grille I have just stripped to change the mesh. I have never seen so many clips. Really not sure what the point is in any of them to be honest.

Its amazing when you consider the rear bumpers have 2 weak clips, and the grille has at least 20 beefy plastic ones!

petet16
31-05-13, 02:11 PM
It's comical isn't it, but MG Rover have always built stout grill assemblies, I took my 420 one apart when the zeds first appeared in order to swap the plastic slat insert for mesh, it turned into a drilling rivet, and releasing clip marathon.

mattyprice4004
31-05-13, 02:28 PM
Probably the only part on my Mk1 ZS that's impressively built is the gearbox.

Had a PG1 apart, fantastically built. The rest of the ZS seems rather lacking, but still so much fun! :p

stamford
31-05-13, 07:54 PM
The seat frames and mechanisms are pretty beefy with some nasty springs used. If anyone has removed them and stripped them down you will know. All that is missing is a parachute strapped to the back.

talkingcars
02-06-13, 10:17 AM
Probably the only part on my Mk1 ZS that's impressively built is the gearbox.

Had a PG1 apart, fantastically built. The rest of the ZS seems rather lacking, but still so much fun! :p

I don't think the PG1 was Rover designed!

talkingcars
02-06-13, 10:21 AM
I don't think the PG1 was Rover designed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_PG1_transmission

The Rover PG1 transmission was the standard passenger car gearbox in the period 1980 to 2005. The transmission was supplied by Powertrain Ltd, which was part of the MG Rover group.

The Rover PG1 transmission is used in many Rover and MGs including the Rover Metro, Rover 200, 400, 600, 25, 45, MG ZR, ZS, F and TF. It had its roots in a Honda unit from the 1980s and 1990s. It was also fitted to the Lotus Elise.

The Rover 75 and MG ZT did not use this gear box and utilised bought in Getrag units.