PDA

View Full Version : ZS 180 v S Type R Jaguar

waynester
01-06-13, 02:37 AM
I'm not one for head to head comparisons on the road.. certainly not racing, but a little incident yesterday evening gave me reason to smile.

I was on my way to picking up my son, around 6pm.. rush hour(ish).
An Stype R Jag, you know..the quick one, V8 I believe? Anyway, he was sat on my ass for a few miles..not able to pass due to traffic..& me making sure I gave it little squirts of acceleration exiting/straight over various roundabouts.

I was going to be turning right on a large roundabout that went under the A1M, then take the 3rd exit onto the A1M.
Now..the slip road is long & a reasonable incline..& he was still on my tail, & I knew he wanted to overtake me & blast up the sliproad.. y'know, get me out of his way with ease.
So.. feeling a little combative I thoughtni would give it some beans as well.
As I turned left onto the slip..I dropped into 3rd & nailed it untl just before the redline, & then bang..into 4th, foot to the floor. Matey in the Jag did the same, he got about a 1/3 of the way passed & then no more. My car felt great & sounded just as good! And there he sat as we drag raced up this long uphill slip road.

Once at the top & getting onto the A1M I slowed as we were already at an indecent speed.
He..irritated that he couldn't pass using sheer grunt kept going. As he passed I looked over & smiled, he looked dead ahead...& that was that. All over in a few seconds, but I felt honour restored with my 'old Rover' that was in his way. Maybe he learnt something..that these 'old Rovers/MGs' are a little bit..quick. ;)

Apologies for the drawn out explanation.

Ritchy
01-06-13, 04:48 AM
4 litre supercharged v8 i think, about 5 seconds to 60, quick cars....

Dan1971
01-06-13, 05:28 AM
Satisfying for you, but, IMHO either he wasn't giving it the full beans, or it wasn't a type R.

carmadbaker
01-06-13, 07:10 AM
Think logically though....
400bhp 2 ton car= 200bhp/ton
180-200bhp 1.2 ton car= 160-180bhp/ton
Odds arent miles away really are they, good to see a rover can still hold its own
:thumbsup: and to think i nearly traded my Elise for an s-type r last week!

bowthruster
01-06-13, 07:30 AM
Well whatever model jag it was,you bet he would have been fuming!!You see it all the time-big flash motors trying to intimidate you into moving for them.So i say NICE ONE:smart:And yes power/ton isnt far off either as carmadbaker said

fastmike
01-06-13, 08:10 AM
Think logically though....
400bhp 2 ton car= 200bhp/ton
180-200bhp 1.2 ton car= 160-180bhp/ton
Odds arent miles away really are they, good to see a rover can still hold its own
:thumbsup: and to think i nearly traded my Elise for an s-type r last week!

You missed out the important figure for the Jag ....541 nms ( 399 lbs feet) of torque.@ 3500 rpm

MG ZS180 0 - 100 mph........20.7

Jag S type R 0-100 ........12.7

stamford
01-06-13, 10:14 AM
Do the figures really matter in this story? Not a jot, it's all about the smile factor and feeling good that we have had some fun and maybe upset someone with a bigger wallet and ego :D

Blade9274
01-06-13, 10:49 AM
Good lad, I thought a nice Merc 220cdi was on my ass last week, got to the duel carriageway after a roundabout so I nailed it and so did he...... but it wasn't a C220CDI it was a C350CDI and he left me in my 180 standing, DOH lol

splinter
01-06-13, 10:52 AM
Couldnt agree more with Stamford. Amazing how many of these "posh" cars are driven by big egos.

Think the old adage....its not what you've got, its how you use it...comes into play here.

Well done mate!!!

bowthruster
01-06-13, 11:03 AM
Good lad, I thought a nice Merc 220cdi was on my ass last week, got to the duel carriageway after a roundabout so I nailed it and so did he...... but it wasn't a C220CDI it was a C350CDI and he left me in my 180 standing, DOH lol

:-D:-D Been caught out like that before!

Quadcam24
01-06-13, 11:03 AM
the jag is 220 bhp ton, but the power is not the only relevance in this instance, i think what swung it your way is the fact you were on the power first, if he was behind and you took him a little by surprise then that would be all you needed to hold him up.

Blade9274
01-06-13, 11:51 AM
:-D:-D Been caught out like that before!

lol, was funny :), I was really impressed with the speed of it, 261bhp with 0-60 in 6.1.

I got caught out yes, but I have caught many people out in the 180 :)

Mark S
01-06-13, 01:10 PM
the XS model looks very similar to the 'R' with its big bumpers, bodykit & wheels.

Could it have been an XS model? Perhaps with an 'R' stuck on the back? Could it even have been the 2.7 diesel - which is still much faster than a ZS.

The 'R' is a missile with nearly 400bhp, and had it been driven right - which in an auto is pretty easy on a straight road - would have left a ZS wondering if it was going forwards or in reverse!

Glad you enjoyed yourself anyway.

waynester
02-06-13, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the responses.. in the same sentiment as I wrote it.

-You're correct..maybe it wasn't a genuine R (it was quick)
-I think I just got on the gas at the right time..a little earlier than him, and dropping to 3rd immediately put me in the best accelerative point of the rev range.. I was genuinely surprised at the acceleraton I got, & past cars of mine have been TVRs, a Corvette & a new ST-3.. The ZS can hold her head up fairly high in some of that company.
-My main point was the surprise I got at my cars 'spirit' & the short moment of enjoyment it gave me. :)

daytona365
02-06-13, 10:11 PM
One problem with the S-Type was they were built so crap, that the engines never pushed out as much as the hype said, and the electrics were so unreliable that they always broke down. So it maybe 400lb per sq ft but no where to put it....

maxtherotti
03-06-13, 04:51 AM
-My main point was the surprise I got at my cars 'spirit' & the short moment of enjoyment it gave me. :)

And that my friend is all that matters:punk:

Rob

red robbo
03-06-13, 06:13 AM
the jag is 220 bhp ton, but the power is not the only relevance in this instance, i think what swung it your way is the fact you were on the power first, if he was behind and you took him a little by surprise then that would be all you needed to hold him up.

Agree with this. Even though the Jag driver had an inkling you may nail it, he didn't know when you were going to do it. That moment of advantage stood you in good stead!
On the odd occasion I allow myself to get in a tussle, and I can see my advantage is gone, I take the next available turning (whether I need it or not!), to give the impression they were only able to overtake me coz I was turning!! lol.
I'm a sore looser! lol.
MG ZS drivers, keep the flag flying!

gibbzy2k1
03-06-13, 10:31 AM
Agree with this. Even though the Jag driver had an inkling you may nail it, he didn't know when you were going to do it. That moment of advantage stood you in good stead!
On the odd occasion I allow myself to get in a tussle, and I can see my advantage is gone, I take the next available turning (whether I need it or not!), to give the impression they were only able to overtake me coz I was turning!! lol.
I'm a sore looser! lol.
MG ZS drivers, keep the flag flying!

Funnily enough, I usually tap my brake as they pass so they can see my brake lights come on. That way they can never be sure if they would have beaten me or not. It is usually when I get up to speed. I have only ever been cought out twice, one in me Vitesse and once in the KV6 coupe.

Vitesse was beaten by a Golf GTI turbo that definately wasn't standard... anf the Coupe as unfortunately agains a BMW 320d who was in the wrong lane off a roundabout and I run out of road before the power kicked in so had to back off!

Back to the OP, it doens't matter what they were driving though, its all about the smile our your face and the enjoyment you get anyway.

p_b82
03-06-13, 11:08 AM
Glad you had a bit of fun.

When my derv was running 'a bit rich' rally_matt was putting some miles on it and was tootling up to silverstone, there was a guy with an M5 who was a bit of a **** and liked to play 'silly buggers' with other people who worked there....

Matt thought you know what, lets get the jump on him.... left it in 4th at 45 and left him behind..... the guy thought he would not need to use his gears to get passed 'an old rover' at speed.

the funny thing was when they parked up - matt told him it was bog standard diesel (which it isn't) - as he asked to look under the bonnet to see the supercharger or soemthing on it as he was sure it was something a lot tastier than it is :)

goes to show that it is not always about the figures, as an M5 if driven properly would have eaten it for breakfast :lol:

Wildcat
03-06-13, 08:55 PM
Sorry to hi jack your thread Wayne, but a similar thing happened to me the other day. I was at the lights behind a Mazda 6. He was daydreaming, the lights changed but he didn't move off. I revved my engine once or twice, then he took the hint and launched off at top speed. I gave mine the beans and stayed on his back bumper. He decided to go into the outside lane to overtake a Golf, I stayed in the inside lane. Unfortunately for him the outside lane is a filter lane for the multi story Car Park. He must have hit the ramp doing 60 while I just smiled and went on my merry way.:happy2:

waynester
06-06-13, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hi jack your thread Wayne, but a similar thing happened to me the other day. I was at the lights behind a Mazda 6. He was daydreaming, the lights changed but he didn't move off. I revved my engine once or twice, then he took the hint and launched off at top speed. I gave mine the beans and stayed on his back bumper. He decided to go into the outside lane to overtake a Golf, I stayed in the inside lane. Unfortunately for him the outside lane is a filter lane for the multi story Car Park. He must have hit the ramp doing 60 while I just smiled and went on my merry way.:happy2:

Hijack away my friend... your story made me chortle out loud. :D