PDA

View Full Version : How big a part of your life is your car ?

Dan1971
07-06-13, 06:31 PM
So this week I've been going to work in the Zs as the Mondy's for sale.

Really enjoyed it's roughness if you follow me. The fact that it doesn't yell at me when I take off my seat belt - how loud it is when I put my foot down - and the fact that it cost me less than most cars sets of tyres.

Today I was at a briefing in central London being given by a senior officer on a very serious subject, but all that kept popping into my head was -

Do I get her painted ?
When can I do the stripes ?
Can I find a DAB stereo that is also bluetooth ?
I'll take off the spoiler this weekend ..... etc etc

How much of your thoughts are filled with your car ?

chris01
07-06-13, 06:37 PM
If theres a moment in the day when im not thinking about what I can do next to my car its because im out driving it lol :) does my wifes head in lol

petet16
07-06-13, 06:45 PM
This week it has taken a lot of my time.

Dan1971
07-06-13, 06:46 PM
This week it has taken a lot of my time.

What you been up to ? Still not sure if you've got one TC'd and a V6 ?

Phate
07-06-13, 06:48 PM
Well, it used to be a HUGE part of my life, taking all my funds, all my spare time, finding things wrong to busy myself and fix it. It was my hobby, one of....and I enjoyed it.

However, I've found that now priorities have changed, its the last thing on my mind most of the time. While I enjoy having a nice car (I don't actually drive a ZS for those who aren't aware) and I like the speed of it, I very much use it for 55mile journeys up and down to Kent to visit the gf. I want something to just work and be reliable and get me there comfortably without hassle.

There are a few things wrong with it, but most importantly nothing stopping me from driving it such as:

1) Cruise control switch needs replacing
2) Climate control unit needs replacing, it works well enough but some buttons are 'sticky'
3) Outside temp sensor needs fixing
4) Wheels need refurbing - they look crap :p
5) Passenger window regulator needs fixing - I've bought it, but not yet fitted.

Theres also a few external marks, chips, couple of car park dents etc...all of these will be done in time when I have the time and funds allow, but right now I have other priorities, I'd like to travel quite a bit and put money towards a house this year...the car works and does the job, so it'll wait.

Basically I've gotten old.

Jake, by aged 24

drewesq
07-06-13, 06:48 PM
I have spent the majority of last weekend 'improving' my car!

If my poly bushes got delivered on time, I would've spent a large part of tomorrow under her too!

I have only really started to do things my self on my car, so I find it quite exciting thinking about upgrades or doing bits here and there. Very enjoyable and satisfying

I love my Zed :D

Craig-ZS180
07-06-13, 06:49 PM
Much the same here Dan, I think its starting to get on the Mrs nerves a little as really I should be thinking about other things but sometimes I even lay in bed before going to sleep thinking about what I can do or what i want to do next. Had a few sleepless nights of recent with a couple if things bouncing back and forth and not knowing which route to take lol.

POMPSKI
07-06-13, 06:49 PM
Im usually dreaming of stuff to do to it, especially in important meetings.

It is so much different to other cars I have owned.

It is pure, it has character, it is an extension of my family! And it doesnt annoy me with beeps every couple of seconds, I also have to think up reasons to drive it. Which is strange.

Its nice to be able to save up for a mortgage and tinker with my car :p not having to prioritise.

Craig-ZS180
07-06-13, 06:50 PM
What you been up to ? Still not sure if you've got one TC'd and a V6 ?

Petes a lucky one as he has one of each :D

Dan1971
07-06-13, 06:50 PM
I'm laughing at these responses as I now know I'm not the only one ! God it's like a weight lifted !!!!!

peterzs
07-06-13, 06:53 PM
Still love my one, after 5 years.

Always brings a smile when I walk up to it in a car park.

:clap::clap::clap:

Dan1971
07-06-13, 06:57 PM

Another greedy one with 2 MGs !

daytona365
07-06-13, 06:57 PM
I'm laughing at these responses as I now know I'm not the only one ! God it's like a weight lifted !!!!!

Dont worry Dan. I always think about my car. I actually miss driving him when Im sat in doors. I hate driving the works van, wish I was driving the ZS.

I think of lots of things I could do to improve him. Now I got wheels done, I find myself thinking about putting the new door cards and gear knob on.

And Dan I can see where you are coming from, with the beeping and telling you what to do. The Zed is a drivers car, WE move the wheel and push the throttle pedal, not stupid electrics, no buzzers, no "lane control" or "hill start".

So you are not strange mate, just a real man, a petrolhead.............:clap:

daytona365
07-06-13, 06:58 PM

Thats cos its yellow :yes:

peterzs
07-06-13, 07:00 PM
Had the belts etc, done on the TF, love the way it revs and goes.

So different from the lazy dervs power delivery.

Skillen
07-06-13, 07:05 PM
Love all three of mine and think about tinkering a lot.
The ZR is getting more attention to its engine then gonna be up for sale though as she doesn't get used.

The mk2, I don't know if I can drive it as the insurance say they are going to write it off. And I'm fighting them now.

So the mk1 is getting all the driving attention which is fine by me as I like to give it a more spirited drive!

They all occupy my minds when I'm not active with patients.
Trying to decide whether to take the mk1 back to basic inside and start track days whilst working out how in gonna sort these insurers and thinking of when I'll have time to do the ZR's coolant rail.

And atm I wouldn't have it any other way at present whil I have little outgoings.

tcb 180
07-06-13, 07:06 PM
Well I've always been a petrol head. I got it from my dad who used to have some lovely cars in his time but caught the bus to work? Well its rubbed off on my son now but he is worse than me. So when we are both together it does my wifes head in.

I got the zed to talk about. Not that I want to improve on its performance. I just love an older car that still looks a lot newer than it really is with all the spit & polish etc.

My lad and I sort of share one awesome looking Astra Gte. Then he has got a scooby Import 1994 which is undergoing an engine transplant with some 260bhp on tap.

We also share a nice 1.7 dti astra estate on a 51 plate that will not do less than 50mpg no matter how its driven. So we do pop out for a few beers and watch the lions team and talk cars on our own now and then.

Dan1971
07-06-13, 07:12 PM
Well I've always been a petrol head. I got it from my dad who used to have some lovely cars in his time but caught the bus to work? Well its rubbed off on my son now but he is worse than me. So when we are both together it does my wifes head in.

I got the zed to talk about. Not that I want to improve on its performance. I just love an older car that still looks a lot newer than it really is with all the spit & polish etc.

My lad and I sort of share one awesome looking Astra Gte. Then he has got a scooby Import 1994 which is undergoing an engine transplant with some 260bhp on tap.

We also share a nice 1.7 dti astra estate on a 51 plate that will not do less than 50mpg no matter how its driven. So we do pop out for a few beers and watch the lions team and talk cars on our own now and then.

Love the father and son element to this.

Think my youngest will be like this with me. He's really interested in the ZS and came out to here my very basic explanation of the induction change and is bursting to get involved in fitting the decat. He's 9.

Looking forward to the years ahead and sharing drives, beer and rugby. Enjoy the good times !

splinter
07-06-13, 07:18 PM
Thought we were supposed to think about sex x number of times a day, not our cars!

I swore that I would not become attached to the zs after spending a fortune on my old mini, but I now find myself thinking of upgrades, engine transplants or buying a 180. Unfortunately the last thought means selling the 120 and so the circle starts again!!

mrmick
07-06-13, 07:18 PM
Been driving mine every day for a month now make me love it more than ever parked my focus st up no interest in it what so ever . Every day i think of things do next keep telling my wife to drive hers more she has drove it 5 times in last 2 month said to her drive it or i sell it . That went down like lead ballon lol

Stephen
07-06-13, 07:48 PM
All its going through my head for the past 2 weeks, have been i miss the jetta.. But god i miss the ZS more!

Searches Ebay/gumtree etc...

bowthruster
07-06-13, 08:19 PM
Most of the time im in a dream world...Now if i had a spare £xxx then i could get the belts done,coolant leak sorted,wheels refurbed,and so on.Everytime the door bell goes and its a parcel the missus's thinks its for the car:look:I remember when i was about 17 a mates brother had a 2.8 capri,which was in his garage which was carpeted,and heated and we all thought he's got a screw loose.But if i had the room i think i would be the same.

talkingcars
07-06-13, 08:37 PM
How much of your thoughts are filled with your car ?

Much, especially at this time of year when there is plenty of day light left at the end of the day, the worst bit is deciding which of the 5 gets my attention.

Can I find a DAB stereo that is also bluetooth ?

http://images.kenwood.eu/files/image/2503/8/13_KDC-BT73DAB_SWL.jpg

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/cd_receivers/bluetooth/KDC-BT73DAB/

It's a neat bit of kit and the only reason I'm not getting one is that it doesn't have an input for the autochanger and I use mine all the time.

Dan1971
07-06-13, 08:46 PM
Much, especially at this time of year when there is plenty of day light left at the end of the day, the worst bit is deciding which of the 5 gets my attention.

http://images.kenwood.eu/files/image/2503/8/13_KDC-BT73DAB_SWL.jpg

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/cd_receivers/bluetooth/KDC-BT73DAB/

It's a neat bit of kit and the only reason I'm not getting one is that it doesn't have an input for the autochanger and I use mine all the time.

Yep - gonna get one of them next week.

Just taken a deposit on the Mondy :laugh: so the ZS is now gonna be my daily transport. When the rest of the dosh comes through, I'll be getting one. The DAB in the Mondy was awesome.

That unit also has a rear aux so you can leave an ipod or whatever plugged in.

M17TT180
07-06-13, 08:56 PM
I think about my car all the time, making signs and working on my own with the radio on leaves a lot of time for thinking, plus I go outside 3 or 4 times a day just to look at it.

vanishing days
07-06-13, 09:45 PM
I used to think about my car alot but over the last year ive fallen completly out of love with it due to people damaging it been keyed twice rear bumper got reversed into by some idiot and replaced the wing after being hit by another idiot who gave me fake detalis wich the colour isnt quite rite on I used to clean it every weekend without fail id love another 180 to clean and tinker with but cant seem to find a decent mk2 in my price range
I drive my 1.4t grande punto every day lately wich isnt anywhere near as nice as a 180 but will do as a stop gap as its cheap to run really well equipped and not to bad to look at

Smokey
07-06-13, 10:23 PM
I knew I was MG crazy, having had 5 ZS's but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Have been falling in and out of love with the mk2 180 with it's issues but it passed it's MOT last week after a bit of tinkering and as it's on 123,000 miles, I'm happy with it again!

Plans are about as always with the centre console now high on my priority to finish as other issues with the car have delayed things. Then I will be white carbon vinyl wrapping it myself and will once again make the final push towards the alcantara interior.

Only hope is the engine lasts for another year as the bottom end rattle is my only bug bear.

Then there is the track car mk1 180! Loved it last year, gave me and plenty others an amazing time. Then it broke, but with the support of guys from the site, a new engine was sourced and another project started.

A couple of weeks ago, the track car did it's first 30 miles on it's new engine and was flawless. There seems to be a vibration through the car but hoping thats a wheel balance issue.

All I can say is, big, massive props need to be given to Marcus and Grimmy. Without them, there would be no track car. They were dedicated to the cause and deserve respect and reputation (give it to 'em guys) for everything they did. And to top it off, they sourced me a new bumper for the mk2.

All in all, MG ZS's are my passion and I have good times and bad times. Bottom line is, I could go out right now like everyone else and get finance on a fancy new motor. Would I be happy? Briefly. Would I keep the ZS's, most definitely. No other car has given me the feelings the ZS's have and I have learned everything about cars through working on them and through this site.

My MG is a part of me. This will always be the case :D

reaper0709
07-06-13, 10:30 PM
plus I go outside 3 or 4 times a day just to look at it.

Lol this and I currently have a list on my phone of things to do....tick them off once complete haha :crazy:

M17TT180
08-06-13, 07:37 AM
Lol this and I currently have a list on my phone of things to do....tick them off once complete haha :crazy:

On the school run it really sticks out, the school is about 200 yards from my house so every day around 8.45 and again at 3pm its chocka outside. Get all the kids looking at it.

MG 53 ZED
08-06-13, 01:31 PM
Think about what to do next on my Zed all the time, never done so much to one car Lol. Best Derv I have ever owned.

POMPSKI
08-06-13, 01:34 PM
Im currently feeling guilty because I really need to clean the car but my AS is really playing up.

welshone
08-06-13, 01:50 PM
My old car used to be a big part of my life and thought this would follow through to the ZS but sadly not and to the degree of me looking at other makes to regain some passion back. :(

Steven11
11-06-13, 09:44 AM
My Zed is a massive part of my life. I even used it as my wedding car, it was the first car both my kids were ever in as i brought them home from hospital in it. And it was the first new car i have ever owned. Even before my 180 which i have had for 8 and a bit years i owned two used Zeds prior to this one so really ive been looking at the same dash now for about 11 years.

Really cant think of any other car for the same kind of money that offers quite so much and looks as good as the Zed does, love my car :wub:

andys1981
11-06-13, 10:05 AM
yip cars are a big part of my life,as soon as i get one constantly think on what i can change/modify on it,i love my mgs,been unlucky with my 2 zss,done everything really to the zr,but still miss the zs,will get back in one, i cant wait,folk often slate them,posh rovers etc,but there driving focuses,rx8s,annoys me,as the zed is an underrated car in my eyes,hope to be back in a zs soon!

idge2003
11-06-13, 10:19 AM
As of tomorrow morning my ZS won't be much of a part of my life other than stripping it for parts! With the current electrical fault that mechanic friends can't diagnose I've decided to take it off the road and switch the insurance over to my new steed!

It's a beast of a car in the form of a 1.0l 12v 3 cylinder Corsa!!!

Originally bought to basically use as a block to stop my ignorant neighbour parking his massive Merc Spriter outside that means i can barely get in my drive and definitely can't park outside but gonna use it til I decide what to replace the ZS with now! And as you can probably guess no thoughts of modding/improving the Corsa will ever enter my head!

Brett

petet16
11-06-13, 11:14 AM
What electrical fault does your zs have ?

idge2003
11-06-13, 11:26 AM
What electrical fault does your zs have ?

I did a thread before but basically its melting the coilpack on 6 cylinder! It's been through 3 now and been driving it on 5 cylinders for a few weeks!

Brett

petet16
11-06-13, 12:07 PM
I did a thread before but basically its melting the coilpack on 6 cylinder! It's been through 3 now and been driving it on 5 cylinders for a few weeks!

Brett

Ah yeah, I remember the thread, weird problem that, makes me suspect it could be the ecu as it keeps doing it.