PDA

View Full Version : rear diffuser potential group buy?

chris106
12-06-13, 09:41 PM
hey guys,

For a while i've been trying to fit my clio rear diffuser. On tuesday i took it to a garage that offers car customization and exhausts to have it fitted with a duplex, this can be done but its much more expensive than id hoped.
The problem is that the anti roll bar is in the way of easily routing a duplex, so it means starting the exhaust further back to do it properly but making it more expensive.

So basically i've settled for having a fiberglass copy made of the diffuser, with the left exhaust hole blanked off. Meaning i only need a single exhaust.

I'm looking to see if anybody is interested in a group buy? as once the mould is made the guy can make more.

My exhaust atm is oval but it seems as though it lines up with the diffuser exhaust hole which could mean with slight modification it could be fitted over your standard exhaust? (needs testing)
And once i get the brackets made up im sure he could produce more?

Theres options for painting, carbon fiber, etc but lets keep it simple for the moment. id just like to see if people would be interested? if there is i can contact and find out prices.

Cheers Chris

petet16
12-06-13, 09:46 PM
How much did you get quoted for the duplex ?

talkingcars
12-06-13, 09:48 PM
I'm interested but I really want a oval duplex carbon fibre version.

chris106
12-06-13, 09:48 PM
£500 from cat back

chris106
12-06-13, 09:50 PM
this is just going to be for a single exit diffuser, the exhaust exit is round 3.5. i just meant i have an oval exhaust atm

sneekyparrot
12-06-13, 09:55 PM
I am in.

Only need a single outlet

Carbon would be nice but happy with f/glass.

sneekyparrot
12-06-13, 09:56 PM
1. Sneekyparrot (Paul)

petet16
12-06-13, 09:56 PM
That is pretty expensive, I'm undecided whether to fill the left outlet, or leave it and go the duplex route later

talkingcars
12-06-13, 09:57 PM
Not cheap - however I already have the exhaust so don't have that expense.

sneekyparrot
12-06-13, 09:58 PM
Just to clarify I only want the diffuser :-)

talkingcars
12-06-13, 09:59 PM
and I already have lots of carbon fibre going on so for me it has to be CF.

POMPSKI
12-06-13, 09:59 PM
Im in with the right price - Single exit is ideal. Again not bothered about it being fibreglass, id rather keep costs down. Although if thr CF is good value id go for it.

Just the diffuser*

chris106
12-06-13, 10:02 PM
its not as easy as i thought going the duplex route, when we were under the car looking.
i got a couple of quotes on the duplex and as a catback they all came in at £500
cool so if we start a list properly

1 Talkingcars?? (re-post this if you in)
2. Sneakyparrot

chris106
12-06-13, 10:04 PM
What about brackets are you wanting those? ill sort out prices soon for both fg and carbon

M17TT180
12-06-13, 10:12 PM
I have a custom powerflow dual exit, they put a box on the normal side and just ran a pipe behind the rear bumper and out the other side. This was done before I bought it but I have a receipt for £450

chris106
12-06-13, 10:20 PM
I have a custom powerflow dual exit, they put a box on the normal side and just ran a pipe behind the rear bumper and out the other side. This was done before I bought it but I have a receipt for £450

£450 for just the backbox? the diffuser wont allow it to be done this way when we were looking theres not much space because of the wheel well

POMPSKI
12-06-13, 10:33 PM
Can we clarify what this group buy is for exactly as I have been ommitted from the list? I said im in for the diffuser but its hard to commit when I dont know how much it will cost to be fair! :p

Appreciate what you are doing here.....

chris106
12-06-13, 11:13 PM
sorry i was typing that as you posted! you can copy and paste and carry on the list if you want but ill sort it as we get more interest.

its a group buy of single exit exhaust diffuser, and brackets if they are wanted but it seems like people just want the diffuser atm?

im looking for interest atm. so ill sort out costs of a carbon fiber versions etc when i first see how many people are interested in having a diffuser

stamford
13-06-13, 07:08 AM
Also is the diffusor a mk2 only option as that is what I am thinking?

sneekyparrot
13-06-13, 09:08 AM
Mick it looks like a straight fit on the mk2 but the mk1 would need substantial modding.

P.

chris106
13-06-13, 09:32 AM
Yeah I agree, it depends how much modifying you want to do. It's going to be much less for the mk2's

redzed
13-06-13, 10:33 AM
there really isnt much modding to do to be honest. just cut away the black part of the mk2 bumper and the diffuser fits into it. two bolts through the brackets on the diffuser go through the bottom of the mk2 bumper. Ref exhausts some will fit and some wont. i tested my spare exhaust on one of my zeds before fitting it onto red and found that some dont fit. the janspeed is perfect as the bottom of the exit pipe is flat with the bottom of the back box, my xpower one doesnt sit flush and so because the exit pipe is higher than the bottom of the backbox this caused it to actaully sit on the diffuer which pushed it down slightly. looks ok except when you stand way back and look underneath the car. Also not sure this wouldnt make a noise when driving. Cant see how a normal duplex wouldnt fit especially if its a janspeed it should be fine. it'll just depend on the shape of the backboxes

Mark S
13-06-13, 11:14 AM
the 197 diffuser is the one to work with over the 200 version.

the clio 197 (on some models) had a tailpipe slashed with the diffuser, so it didn't protrude. see pic in this thread...http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?678291-197-Exhaust-on-a-172

the diffuser needs quite a few mods before being used for a mould, such as blanking the 2nd exhaust hole, relocation of existing, moulding to rear of zs bumper so the fibreglass copies can be bonded to rear of bumper, and angle alignment so it sits flush with the wheel well and doesn't sit lower like this one which is probably causing more drag than any benefit the diffuser has...http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=62225

cost is key here, I would be in at 100quid for a straight copy or 150quid for a well modded copy that will simply bond to the rear bumper and bolt to the wheel well with exhaust locations blanked and modified.

There are a couple of people already who are taking moulds of the diffuser, I will be buying the one which has had the time and effort put into it for an easy fit.

Let us know what the costs will be...

MG.DAN
13-06-13, 02:17 PM
I'm pretty much the same as above^^
If its around £100-150 I'd have one providing its simple to fit and will look tidy. I take it if the backbox we have is too big we would have to modify it slightly?

Skillen
13-06-13, 02:34 PM
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=25269
This guy was talking about getting them done in CF for around £100
Any tailpipe design wanted.
Not sure if he's still up for it though.

POMPSKI
13-06-13, 06:30 PM
Yes well Im definetly in then if the cost would be around £100 - £150, a couple of points

1) Isnt the xpower system the Janspeed system?
2) RE: The brackets, if they are required then yes id buy them too!

redzed
13-06-13, 07:04 PM
Yes well Im definetly in then if the cost would be around £100 - £150, a couple of points

1) Isnt the xpower system the Janspeed system?
2) RE: The brackets, if they are required then yes id buy them too!

the original xpower kits were made by janspeed i think but it changed shape not long after 2003 i believe. one pic is of the xpower, the other a janspeed and note the shape of the exit how it shows how the backbox is higher up under the car when fitted compared to the xpower one which is a standard exhast style

redzed
13-06-13, 07:05 PM
opps forgot the pics, the xpower one is the one on the table

POMPSKI
13-06-13, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the clarification, mine will be fine then!

talkingcars
14-06-13, 05:04 AM
I will buy a dual exit carbon fibre one, not interested in anything else.

My powerflow duplex system uses one back box with one exit to the back and one to the front, the front one then curls around the gap between wheel well and the fuel tank.
If needs be I can get powerflow to alter it to fit the diffuser.

Noobrider
15-06-13, 05:27 PM
for Mk1 owners there is always this option http://moto-build.com/rearbumper4hatchback.jpg

available for both hatch and saloon, not too bad a price really

Maxxed_Ross
15-06-13, 06:27 PM
that actually doesn't look too bad

Skillen
15-06-13, 06:40 PM
that actually doesn't look too bad

Would it do anything but catch air in front of it?

red robbo
15-06-13, 06:44 PM
The pipe work for the 2nd box on my duplex runs just behind the spare wheel well. I paid £350 for my cat back duplex system at Longlife last October, in Chester.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb375/redrobbo1/DSCF0718_zps6eec68f5.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb375/redrobbo1/DSCF0717_zps9dc311c7.jpg

Maxxed_Ross
15-06-13, 07:46 PM
Would it do anything but catch air in front of it?

I said LOOKS ok... unless you have a totally flat floor any diffuser is going to do naff all for handling :slap:

The pipe work for the 2nd box on my duplex runs just behind the spare wheel well. I paid £350 for my cat back duplex system at Longlife last October, in Chester.

that's very similar to how mine was routed too. Makes the pipe to the second box a fair bit longer but it keeps it all out of the way

chris106
16-06-13, 12:06 AM
Thats how i wanted a duplex routed, but with the diffuser/anti roll bar theres not much room, so it would need to start further back around the cat.
As for having the diffuser bonded to the rear bumper mine wont be... ill take plenty of pics as i sort mine and ill talk to the guy about prices hopefully know more by next week. ill keep you all informed

talkingcars
16-06-13, 06:16 AM
......that's very similar to how mine was routed too. Makes the pipe to the second box a fair bit longer but it keeps it all out of the way

Second box? Mine system has a single box with an outlet at each end, the one for the right comes out of the back of the box, the one for the left comes out of the front of the box nest to the inlet.

talkingcars
16-06-13, 06:17 AM
Thats how i wanted a duplex routed, but with the diffuser/anti roll bar theres not much room, so it would need to start further back around the cat.....

Does the diffuser go further forward than the front of the spare wheel well?

redzed
16-06-13, 09:09 AM
Does the diffuser go further forward than the front of the spare wheel well?

Saloon it doesn't hatch it does,