PDA

View Full Version : Paintwork degrading :-(

livewire1888
16-06-13, 04:21 PM
Hey folks,

any ideas what I could do here? If its a respray, how much of the car would have to be done? Also like to hear about any cheap alternatives?

Cheers

petet16
16-06-13, 04:29 PM
Looking at that makes me think thats been resprayed previously, you'd most likely get away with a partial repaint of the rear quarter, not sure on cost.

livewire1888
16-06-13, 05:18 PM
It happened during that winter, was perfect when I bought it last summer.
The car was in real good nick when I bought it as it only had done 44k miles and hadn't been used much.

I'll take it somewhere local once have a bit of cash too spare.

grimmy
16-06-13, 06:14 PM
I dunno could one of those chips away guys maybe sort that out rather than so the whole car.

tcb 180
16-06-13, 06:52 PM
It's red mate and any panel you spray will look an awful match as red oxidises something terrible. Best alternative would be to do the whole side if you want it looking tidy and work around gradually until whole thing been done.

talkingcars
16-06-13, 09:00 PM
Is it the paint or the lacquer?

Maxxed_Ross
17-06-13, 02:36 AM
from the pictures it looks like the lacquer is coming off... possibly due to a previous repair

Only way to fix that properly is a respray

splinter
17-06-13, 06:41 AM
Thats lacquer peel mate. Poss due to the basecoat not being properly cleaned before topcoat being applied. Prob after a repair. It will only get worse. See those "air bubbles"? Thats what they are. It will carry on peeling down to those. It needs to be sanded off to hard lacquer re based and re topped.
If you take it to a proper bodyshop they should paint the whole panel and blend/fade out through adjoining panels to minimise noticeable colour difference. They may do a more localised patch but still blend out. Depends how bad it actually is.
Most bodyshops charge about 250 a panel these days.

Little note. Basecoat is not waterproof. So the longer you leave it......

tcb 180
18-06-13, 05:16 AM
Red Cars need very very regular polishing to prevent fade. You will be very optimistic to get a tidy colour match as I can't see it happening.

Mark S
18-06-13, 06:47 AM
you will likely need to paint all of the previous repair and more to blend it.

Rates vary, from 80quid per panel (trade rate) upwards, retail will likely be double this.

Get a bodyshop to look over it, they will tell you straight away how much of the car has been painted before.

Don't try and cheapskate it with chips away or a smart repairer, they use (most of them) naff quality paints which will only jet wash off like what has already happened to you.
Standox, max mayer, lechler paints are good, ask the bodyshop which paints they use and if they have a bake oven.

Steves Cleenz
20-06-13, 02:32 PM
A good body shop will be able to just blow some clear coat over that and it will be fine, if you want it to look ok for now then just polish it and it will make the faded red less noticeable, this happend on my old typhoon by the way, on mine i just had a re spray of clear coat, no base colour

livewire1888
20-06-13, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the replys, am going to give it a good polish and get a bodyshop too have a quick look over it.