PDA

View Full Version : ZS180 - What's it like to live with?

Dave
17-06-13, 06:41 PM
As you all may know, i run a ZS tuned diesel.

I'm kinda thinking about a 180, but i need some info.

What are they actually like to live with, using them on a day to day basis?
The hum drum things like going out shopping, general MPG etc.

I know the tax is probably a bit of a killer, probably much more than the 130 odd a year i am currently paying.

Looking at the insurance side of things, the 180 is no different in cost, than my tuned derv ZS.

The car is generally used 2-3 times a week, and is basically used for pottering to the weekly shop, and other small trips, so fuel costs probably won't be too bad.

I've heard about these VIS motor things, no idea what they are or what they do. From reading around, they seem to be the achilles heal of the 180.

Cam belts seem to be rather expensive to get done, so i would be looking for a car with them already done, as i done fancy a £600+ bill just after buying the car!!!

If i can sell my derv as it is, i'd probably get around 800-900 for it on a good day. I'd probably budget around the 1000 mark for a 180. Is this a realistic budget for a MK1 180?

Sorry for the noobish questions, just want to do as much research as possible, if i was to do the change.

Cheers
Dave

Skillen
17-06-13, 06:53 PM
I have two and use them as daily drivers.
You are probably looking at fairly similar performance as your derv really but without the turbo surge! But they do go well especially with a couple simple mods.

Very easy to live with daily and I'd probably say no different to the derv really but the killer going from diesel will be petrol.
I manage roughly 30mpg from both with mixed driving.

I'd say the 180 will be more refined and smooth/quieter but that said I've not driven a diesel zs so they might be quite quiet for all I know.

My two both were fine in the VIS department and vein the only two I've driven and either I've been very lucky and the two I looked at and bought weren't broken and rattly or it isn't all that common!

You can budget way less than 1k on a mk1 nowadays and I'd say you'd get a very good mk1 for that money!

As you know, go for an earlier one for build quality!

Dan1971
17-06-13, 07:07 PM
They are very good cars pal.

The vis motors are a bit of an issue. Some guys have problems all the time. I think Stamford's still got his mk1 originals in. Some are good some are bad, but they can be refurbed by some guys on here or DIY if you're any good with a soldering iron.

Belts for £600 - I wouldn't bother. You can get a whole one for that - or just an engine for £250-£300.

A green Mk2 180 in green has just sold for about £650 on the bay of E. I paid £500 for mine and to be fair have spent a few quid on it since to get it running well, but there are some good ones out there. There's a member selling a grey one on here and they've had it since new. I don't know them or the car, but it'll more than likely be a decent example.

Power delivery is smooth all the way through to the red line - and the sound is faaaar better than a derv. If you drive it enthusiastically - 20mpg. Like Miss Daisy - 28-30 is reasonable with some on here doing better. Personally I've never got more than 25.

Try a decent one and you'll be hooked. If you're ever near Harlow you're more than welcome to have a go in mine. She's got some kmarks and scars, but mechanically running really well just now so you'll get a good idea.

daytona365
17-06-13, 08:19 PM
If you near harlow, you could always try mine, to see what a Yellow one feels like lol...

chris01
17-06-13, 09:28 PM
Should be able to get a good one for a £1000 and if you haven't got to worry to much about the fuel then I say go for it...if your just going to use it for pottering around town than don't expect much more than 250 miles to a tank,
As for tax your looking at £270 for the year but you can close your eyes whilst paying that lol
Iv never had any issues with any of my 180s and have enjoyed every minute of driving them,
You can have ago in mine next time im up that way....Oh yeah, get a trophy blue ;)

maxtherotti
17-06-13, 09:36 PM
Should be able to get a good one for a £1000 and if you haven't got to worry to much about the fuel then I say go for it...if your just going to use it for pottering around town than don't expect much more than 250 miles to a tank,
As for tax your looking at £270 for the year but you can close your eyes whilst paying that lol
Iv never had any issues with any of my 180s and have enjoyed every minute of driving them,
You can have ago in mine next time im up that way....Oh yeah, get a trophy blue ;)

Allmost right the tax is £280 after the budget:yikes:
But he is bang on as we all know trophy blue ones are the best:mbounce:

talkingcars
17-06-13, 09:38 PM
The hum drum things like going out shopping,

Same as yours?

ZS
17-06-13, 09:42 PM
Allmost right the tax is £280 after the budget:yikes:
But he is bang on as we all know trophy blue ones are the best:mbounce:

£280 a year is only £23.34 a month... so not too bad if you put a few quid a month away - Especially when you consider that my Diesel (the Volvo) is £121 for 6 months... or £20 a month. So actually that doesn't make it too much different tax wise :)

I think that Trophy Blue cars are awesome... but Perl Black (AKA FE54) are damn sexy!

tcb 180
18-06-13, 04:52 AM
Just to let you know, mine is still for sale. Pics & spec on here. Well worth a look as she's a real head turner. So nice, you will HAVE to pay more than 1k for her sorry.

maxtherotti
18-06-13, 05:18 AM
Just to let you know, mine is still for sale. Pics & spec on here. Well worth a look as she's a real head turner. So nice, you will HAVE to pay more than 1k for her sorry.

If i was in the market for another (sadly im not tho) I would be looking at upping my budget and going to chat to Mr tcb 180
not many 1 owner mint ones left that look that mint
Also xpg is the 3rd colour after tb and typhoon:cool2:

stamford
18-06-13, 07:04 AM
I've had my 180 for 8+ years and not bored of it yet. I've had some nice cars in my 30+ years of driving and this still makes me smile, there is something about it. Go try one and see for yourself, then you will see why :D

The problem areas are well documented and easily sorted as with any car tbh, some marques cost more to fix. At least with us we all know the score and have the knowledge.

Steven11
18-06-13, 07:25 AM
I also have a 1 owner Mk2 180 hatch purchased brand new by myself from Castle Bank Street MG in Glasgow back in 2004. In the 9 years ive owned the car it has broke down once and it was a coil that went. £30 and she was back on the road, mechanically i cant complain as she has been pretty much faultless and i also still have the original VIS in my car.

Main problems with the Zed are cosmetic things ie door handles, saggy rear bumper, hazed up headlights etc. But all these things are easliy sorted. Ide say to a full tank £65-£70 i get about 280 miles and i use my car every day. And its as practical as it is fast. I have 2 kids and regularly go down hill mountain biking so my car gets used for everything.

Its the perfect combination of afordability, performance and if you go for the hatch looks as well :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Captain Slow
19-06-13, 09:03 PM
Dave, I'll bring mine to the next meet so you can have a look, ride and I'll give you all the horror stories (not really!) :)

tcb 180
20-06-13, 07:54 AM
Pound for pound you will not find a cheaper performance car. Ten trouble free years out of mine and sold last night for a measly £1900

Maxfly
20-06-13, 09:14 AM
I'm now on my third 180 and as said previously, you won't find anything out there better value for money. Running costs are not that bad, get one with belts done and your singing and dancign:D