PDA

View Full Version : Loud "thump" when going over bumps

drewesq
21-06-13, 05:47 PM
Hi guys

So car is going strong and the few bits I have done in the 11 months of ownership have improved the experience of owning a ZS :)

I am left with 1 really annoying issue, and that is when going over bumps the rear nearside wheel really thumps over them, the front nearside does too but not quite as bad. I have done some research and think it is probably the ball joints, or the ARB link bushes?

The offside seems fine, I suspect it is causing more of the interior trim to rattle too when going over bumps. I am hoping that it isn't shock and spring and that it is just bushes, but what does everyone think?
The rear ARB bushes were replaced this week with some poly ones and it has sharpened up the back end when cornering, and the old ones were rotten! that is when I noticed the link ones were so deteriorated too....

Look forward to any suggestions

drewesq
22-06-13, 08:33 AM
just took it to protyre in Exeter and they said they couldn't see anything wrong and that they took it for a test drive and couldn't hear anything. I took the guy out and hit a few bumps and then he said he could hear it and he thought it would be either the rear shocks or the strut mounts... They checked availability and couldn't get any mounts and was quoted £115 eac for some after market rear shocks.

So, I really want to get it sorted because I have to spend and hour and 20 each day in my car and it is doing my head in, but don't want to spend £300 replacing shocks if that doesn't sort it...

Also should probably say that there is no signs of leakage from the struts... I thought I saw a sticker on the rear struts that said they were gas filled, is this likely?

Anyone offer any advice, please?

peterzs
22-06-13, 08:45 AM
Is it worth getting some off one thats being broken???

You checked all subframe bolts are tight.

Hub bolts tight.

Is it worth replacing front bushes, if they dont cost much. Work through the cheaper options first.

Tyre wear OK on the front, you got 205 x 45 x 17 and what pressure???

Trouble is once it starts annoying thats all you listen for!!

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

drewesq
22-06-13, 08:56 AM
Is it worth getting some off one thats being broken???

You checked all subframe bolts are tight.

Hub bolts tight.

Is it worth replacing front bushes, if they dont cost much. Work through the cheaper options first.

Tyre wear OK on the front, you got 205 x 45 x 17 and what pressure???

Trouble is once it starts annoying thats all you listen for!!

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

I could go to a breakers today and get some I guess, rimmerbros list the MG and Rover dampers as being the same so I guess any rear dampers from any 45 or zs will do?

Subframe bolts are which?

Front doesn't seem to make much noise, just the back.

Wheels are 16" hair pins... 205 x 45 x 16 @ 28 PSI

I turn the stereo up to drown out the various rattles and noises but this is getting silly now, it really does thump over the bumps, so much so I want to trade in for a 75!

petet16
22-06-13, 09:45 AM
Rimmers don't list 45 and zs dampers as being the same, you can use the rear dampers off any zs as they all use the same units.