PDA

View Full Version : Getting rare?

stamford
23-06-13, 06:55 PM
Is it me are our ZS's getting less and less in the classified ads? I remember a time when there used to be loads on the likes of pistonheads and autotrader, these days less than a dozen and not many mk2 180s. A sign of the times or people not bothering with these sites and either trading in and going to auction or just using freead sites like Gumtree?

I still maintain our zeds will be future classics as they will get broken or scrapped due to the costs associated with them.

Would do you think?

Maxxed_Ross
23-06-13, 07:00 PM
there's certainly more being broken now, but at least they will be used to keep others on the road

grimmy
23-06-13, 07:01 PM
Future classic? I hope so.means it may be worth more than nothing like it is at the moment.

reaper0709
23-06-13, 07:05 PM
there's certainly more being broken now, but at least they will be used to keep others on the road

Yeh, I've seen a fair few being broken. I often browse to see whats about and don't come across many MK2's.

andys1981
23-06-13, 07:26 PM
yeah agree with you there mick,im constantly looking for zeds,and there really aint a lot too choose from,especially mk2s,ive had 2 zs that have been broken,and helped a few members on here

ZSONE80
23-06-13, 07:50 PM
I think they have got so cheap to buy they are just being driven into the ground and then scraped or traded in, cheap transport for a lot of people 54 plate 110 or 120 with bodykit still looks the part for joe average but they just seem to get trashed. I have been buying up bodykit parts when ever i see them just for spares, shame but i guess everything moves on but i agree one day they will rise in value just not for a few years.

peterzs
23-06-13, 08:11 PM
People must love the Yellow ones!!!!!

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

daytona365
23-06-13, 08:47 PM
I trawled Autotrader the other day and found over 100..........they are still out there...Lets see how many turn up at Duxford..

MG ZS STE
23-06-13, 09:13 PM
Only 16 180's thou :hmm:

welshone
23-06-13, 09:37 PM
Sorry can't see it being a classic. What other MG Rover cars of recent times are???

Ritchy
23-06-13, 10:53 PM
Would need to be pretty much standard to be a classic. I think realistically at least another 10 years

Maxxed_Ross
24-06-13, 02:24 AM
it's hard for any high-volume car to become a classic... normally only once they've all more or less gone.

Look at the amount of rare old Rovers for example that no one would even give a second look to

stamford
24-06-13, 07:06 AM
Well I still maintain it will in 180 guise, I've seen enough over the years to remember certain mundane cars only for them to be worth a few bob today. I did not mention any being a classic today but in the future they may be. 10 years plus for sure, so let's come back to this in 10 years and see where they are now. I intend to still have mine. I have regretted selling many cars and wish I had kept them, I am not making the same mistake again. Okay it's only a Rover but so what? I enjoy it for what it is and it can certainly hold its own against much superior cars on the road and that is why I like it. Two fingers up to the badge snobs.

vanishing days
24-06-13, 07:13 AM
Im not sure wether it will or not but I hope it does

peterzs
24-06-13, 09:42 AM
Metro's, Maestro's specially Turbo ones and Montegos.

All now are worth a lot more than a few years ago.

And thats not even talking about Minis, looked for a cheap one for the grand son, all over a £1000, and rust buckets that need a bit of TLC, as they say in the ads.

One of the daughters bought a proper Mini Cooper about 10 years ago for £3000. Now its worth the same or more. Admittedly they have spent a few £££'s on sorting rust, subframes etc, but all do-able.

So I reckon a few more years and good Zed range cars will be worth more, specially if in Yellow.

:yoji: :clap::clap::clap:

p_b82
24-06-13, 11:09 AM
I have always thought the same tbh - as has my dad....

The day i drove home after picking the derv up with the kit (minus fogs) my dad went - nice looking car that, could well be a future classic....

I plan to keep mine for as long as i can justify it... I will replace the little fiesta with something larger and more practical if the ZS is not suitable for my needs... can't see me not having it - esp if i get a garage built and it it can live in the dry most the time :)

Jason04r
24-06-13, 09:34 PM
I'm about to buy a MK2 180 in Spain. I've found one after about 4-5 months of searching , only 3 Mk1's in the whole of spain searching 3 known "autotraders" , but a hand full of 1.8 and Diesels.. Guy wants 7200 euros but its only done 32,000 miles ( 53,000 KM ). Looks like these cars hold there value extremely well in LHD versions.

Going for a 6 hour drive to look at it on saturday. Let see if i come back with a lush 180 :)

LozMachine
24-06-13, 09:40 PM
All "Driver's Car's" are classic's....I rest my case...

peterzs
24-06-13, 09:47 PM
Hope its a good one Jason.

Have you seen our "What to look out for when buying a 180".

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11254

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11255

and just in case you see a derv.

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11326

All the left hand drive seem to fetch a premium.

:beer::beer::beer:

Jason04r
24-06-13, 09:48 PM
Haha ,

I've just finished reading it , great advice. Need a notepad when i go and view haha

Willie Eckerslike
24-06-13, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately for mine to become a future classic I first must find a bonnet and grill in sunspot due to the wife having a 'clash' in it

Jimmy80808
25-06-13, 12:15 AM
I think they have a good chance of being a classic they drive well and are getting quite rare. Think we past the peak of good cars going cheap. You have to look quite hard now or pay over the odds for one that isn't in poor condition. Definitely going to keep mine hoping to get round to waxoyling it this summer.

Dan1971
25-06-13, 07:34 AM
Ebay used to have 240+ ZS's - last night 139.
Autotrader - 14 ZS 180s and the most expensive was £2K - the Mk1 shocker that's been for sale for about 5 yrs. Only about 3 Mk2s - the rest looking quite ropey to be honest.

Red is actually beginning to look like one of the better ones out there ! Bit of paint hopefully before Duxford and she will be ... ;)

Getting rare for sure.

Ricwin
25-06-13, 07:40 AM
The ZS 180 and Ford's Mondeo ST24 are both considered by most to be future classics. The last of the breed of powerful nasp cars for the masses.

Everything these days is low capacity with a tiny turbo, super economical, or hybrid and not much fun at all. Give me a V6 any day of the week.

Steven11
25-06-13, 10:13 AM
Give me a V6 any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

Amen :judge:

tcb 180
25-06-13, 12:56 PM
Now you bloody tell me!! Too late now! Ha! Ha!

Cally180
25-06-13, 04:00 PM
would be very hopeful I think for the ZS to make it as a well desired classic.. few years maybe but the only rover to really make it was the mini.

maybe if MG the now was to make something super special and bring out a RS or VXR type of range the older stuff would be more wanted and maybe increase in value

Ricwin
25-06-13, 04:18 PM
MG 6Z (see what I did there?...)
Or Z6 but that'd a bit too BMW.

Slightly larger alloys, larger brakes, noticeable rear spoiler, bigger turbo and a remap?
Or just throw us one of the tarted up models we see all over the internet from shows and displays in China.

Dan1971
25-06-13, 07:38 PM
MG Z6S
MG Z3R

Perhaps ..... ????

As for ours becoming classics .... Nah.

Maxxed_Ross
26-06-13, 05:28 AM
Some of those chineese MG6s actually look ok

BUCKYDEVIL
26-06-13, 09:06 AM
Dont see the ZS ever becoming a classic but with the old Rover 4OO Body it already has a look about it that makes even the MK2's look like a much older car than what it is compared to newer car shapes.