PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing

livewire1888
29-06-13, 11:07 AM
hi there

My brother bought a little clio for work, reasonably good deal he got too.

The only problem with it, is that the rear bearing is knackered and has been for a few weeks, got it off a a mate so we know the history.

Hes shy off a few bob for a few weeks so we just want to see how long we can wait before fixing it and if it causes any adverse effects, if any?

Also its the rear wheel with drum brakes.

cheers

talkingcars
29-06-13, 01:16 PM
Apart from the car not running straight or braking straight so more of a risk of not stopping safely in an emergancy, especially in the rain, the risk of uneven tyre wear and the risk of knackering the stub axle so incuring more cost I see little danger to life or wallet.

I don't know Renaults well enough to know if there is a risk of the wheel coming off if the bearing completly fails, I doubt it.

tcb 180
29-06-13, 07:22 PM
It will eventually go T**S up for him. It is running rougher so will generate more heat and eventually collapse rendering at best one very very wobbly wheel. Short runs may be ok but whatever you do do not go big miles.

livewire1888
30-06-13, 12:31 PM
Its only for a couple weeks and hes only driving 8 miles to work. I had one
broken on my fiesta and didnt bother for months cause I was just young at the time and thought it was the exhaust.