PDA

View Full Version : Wipers stopped working

Jay-ZS+
04-07-13, 11:45 AM
Was driving today in the rain and had the wipers on, the suddenly heard a click and they died.

Just swapped out the 20A fuse in the drivers footwell as that had blown, tried them out and that blew too, so stuck a 30A in and they moved a little then stopped again.

The other thing is that Ive noticed all the displays on the dash seem to flicker ever 4-5secs or so both when the car is running and when the ign is on.

The wiper motor has been noisy recently so going to replace that as might be drawing too much current??? But any other ideas?

stamford
04-07-13, 11:46 AM
Sounds like it is hence blowing fuses, for what they cost swap it for another.

Jay-ZS+
04-07-13, 11:48 AM
Sounds like it is hence blowing fuses, for what they cost swap it for another.

Yer its trying to find a decent one, replaced it less than a year ago and within six months it starting whining again.

Jay-ZS+
04-07-13, 11:58 AM
Although if it was just that the motor was drawing too much current wouldn't it still work with a 30A fuse in as didn't blow that.

Anyway ordered one to replace it, pity that my wipers are stuck half way up the screen.

talkingcars
04-07-13, 12:51 PM
I would take all the links out and make sure they are all fully functional, it maybe that there is an issue that s putting stress on the motor.

petet16
04-07-13, 01:27 PM
I would take all the links out and make sure they are all fully functional, it maybe that there is an issue that s putting stress on the motor.

This would be a good move before spending money on parts you may not need.

Jay-ZS+
04-07-13, 01:30 PM
Yer thats not a bad idea will go and investigate now.

peterzs
04-07-13, 01:35 PM
My wipers started talking like a Dalek every swipe of the screen.

Got a scrappy new motor and linkage, swapped over and they have been good.

Jay-ZS+
04-07-13, 02:41 PM
My wipers started talking like a Dalek every swipe of the screen.

Got a scrappy new motor and linkage, swapped over and they have been good.

Yer I did the same but they've gone again. Just stripped it down and its the motor thats the issue. Lubed up all the linkages and coated the motor spindle with wd40 so its just about working at the min. Least my wipers are back at the bottom.

peterzs
04-07-13, 05:17 PM
I've got the Aero Flat wipers, great wipers and on my second set.

Did wonder if they have more drag over the screen, as they do whshhh away the rain, no streaks and driving at night in the rain is streak free.