PDA

View Full Version : Simple jobs that weren't...

Jay-ZS+
08-07-13, 03:38 PM
So, today I've spent about 3 hours wresting with an aircon pipe, that runs from the bulkhead down the left of the engine to the front near the compressor. The pipe mysteriously disappeared after I had the engine replaced.

Got a replacement off Sam, IIRC, probably about a year ago thats been in the boot ever since. Only required 2 bolts doing up but was a right ball ache.

Tried alsorts of angles to feed it in then on about the 4th attempt got it in place only to find there was a dowel left on the pipe as well as one on my compressor. So had to take it out and drill the rusted dowel out and try again. Then was a nightmare to fit to the compressor as there was no room to get to it.

Finally managed to bolt it up arms are torn to bits but its in. Now to get it recharged.

Did however also fix the wiper, fitted a replacement motor and its the quietest its ever been :thumbsup:

So what jobs had you done on your zed that should have been a simple task that turned out to be a nightmare?

Captain Peanut
08-07-13, 05:38 PM
Are there simple jobs? Certainly never come across one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamford
08-07-13, 07:55 PM
Ooo that'll be a long list!

Suspension swap-seized LCA outer fixing, had to drill it all the way through.
Current LCA swap-one seized inner mount and one sheared head off the other side inner mount. Angle grind through the LCA boss to remove.
Exhaust swap, OE system fused together-grinder, hacksaw etc!
Bucket seat fitting-loads of brackets, fixings, modifications and resistors.
Clutch and flywheel change-gearbox had to be changed back as the one fitted was not good.
Decat-sheared fixings.
I could go on........and no doubt in 8.5 years there are more I have forgotten about :D

Jay-ZS+
08-07-13, 08:00 PM
Ooo that'll be a long list!

Suspension swap-seized LCA outer fixing, had to drill it all the way through.
Current LCA swap-one seized inner mount and one sheared head off the other side inner mount. Angle grind through the LCA boss to remove.
Exhaust swap, OE system fused together-grinder, hacksaw etc!
Bucket seat fitting-loads of brackets, fixings, modifications and resistors.
Clutch and flywheel change-gearbox had to be changed back as the one fitted was not good.
Decat-sheared fixings.
I could go on........and no doubt in 8.5 years there are more I have forgotten about :D

Makes you wonder why we bother! :wall:

stamford
08-07-13, 08:13 PM
It'll no different on any other car tbh, been there many times and have the t-shirts! :D

Ricwin
08-07-13, 08:15 PM
Trying to fit a live power cable for a sub. Simple job on the old Rover 200, but a right pita in the ZS 180.
In the end, I unbolted the coolant tank and pieced the grommet below there for the wire. And took a live feed from the large fuse panel in the upper right corner of the engine bay, because the nut on the battery connection wouldn't move at all.

peterzs
08-07-13, 08:50 PM
Just gone to wash the bugs off after the Duxford run and the 30 degrees heat down here has pushed out the top plastic window surround out.

It pushes back OK, but should it be stuck in with anything???

Or just a push fit???

Ta

petet16
08-07-13, 10:13 PM
Just gone to wash the bugs off after the Duxford run and the 30 degrees heat down here has pushed out the top plastic window surround out.

It pushes back OK, but should it be stuck in with anything???

Or just a push fit???

Ta

The top strip on the windscreen Pete ?, if so it is stuck to the edge of the glass only.

peterzs
09-07-13, 07:54 AM
Cheers Pete.

Makes sense, I'll get some stuff to sort it.

Cheers. :beer2::beer2::beer2:

Noobrider
10-07-13, 06:39 PM
mine came out on track day...heat

simple jobs that aren't....changing all 6 spark plugs on the 180

Jimmy80808
10-07-13, 11:29 PM
Changing the fuel filter which is "conveniently" located just above the rear diff on an vauxhall omega with "quick and easy" push fit connections :(
Hours of fun having petrol running into my face. Never Again.

peterzs
11-07-13, 08:20 AM
Changing the fuel filter which is "conveniently" located just above the rear diff on an vauxhall omega with "quick and easy" push fit connections :(
Hours of fun having petrol running into my face. Never Again.

Sounds fun..................not!!!

Craig-ZS180
11-07-13, 10:07 AM
Swapping a steering wheel over to a smaller version only to find out that the horn doesnt work with the new wheel and coupler for some reason and then the ratchet your using to undo the main retaining nut stops locking and just spins freely when trying to swap back over. Only ratchet I had at that point.
Still cant work out why horn stopped working either ref the other thread. :hmmm:

Enright
11-07-13, 11:24 AM
L-series thermostats. Buried at the bottom of the front of the engine, and mounted diagonally with inaccessible fasteners made of chocolate!
Then once it's all apart you find that the part number from most motor factors gives you the wrong bit!

Captain Peanut
20-07-13, 03:57 PM
Decided that as there was no interest in the leather steering wheel, and I had 20 mins to myself, I'd fit it to the car for the time being. Disconnected the battery, swapped wheels over and all was well. Reconnected the battery terminals, started to tighten the bolt on the negative and ping, it shears off!

Now got to wait for the missus to get home so I can borrow her car to get to Halfrauds to buy a new bolt :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big_wasa
20-07-13, 07:28 PM
Rear exhaust mani on a 180 was a b1tch as was the studs shearing on the same.

Just done the up pipe on the Scooby and it was about the same due to some one welding the exhaust bracket to the hanger.

Gave up on doing an r33 skyline clutch on the drive. I swear you could see the old girl bending like the titanic as I tried to lift her.