PDA

View Full Version : decision on my zs

chriszs180
10-01-08, 07:37 AM
so the insurance company have said to me that they are going to write it off and give me market value so i need to find out how much that is or they will give me the car and give me the £2300
to repair it and i will have to get parts etc to get it done my self
so need to get a list of all the parts that are needed and deside.......

a local garage must be cheaper than a ford garage as well ...

what do you guys think..

will get a list of parts later..

Maxfly
10-01-08, 07:48 AM
a lot a folk seem to be buying back their cars and repairing them so could be a good way to go!! just make sure its someone reputable who is doin the work, you don't want to be seeing anythin to remind you what happened to it if you do repair it really:)

Goatyman
10-01-08, 07:58 AM
But then won't it but under and accident, category, and it'll never feel the same again?

Personally id get as much as possible for her and buy another zed.

arwilson80
10-01-08, 08:34 AM
Sounds like a reasonable enough idea IMO. Save another MG from ending up on the scrap heap...

chriszs180
10-01-08, 08:39 AM
need to find out if it will be cat c or d or just left as it was if it is catc/d then the resale value will be nothing not that im thinking of getting rid but might one day.
was just thinking i could get it machanically sound and do the body work myself/ with help of a body shop freind and get a full respray with something a bit more crazy.....
do like the white zs or may be a pit more crazy or a vinal wrap.

Boot Hill Bandit
10-01-08, 08:41 AM
Can we have a look at the state of the car Chris with some pictures??

Preferably we could do with knowing the extent of the damage....front and back...

has the boot floor been crumpled up? has the front inner wings been folded up badly?

If it is something simple like a few outer panels damaged and the boot area virtually fine then I would repair it.

If it was me and I crashed my ZS......anything bad structurally wise I would forget about the car and think about getting another one identical to mine and swapping any good bits over then selling the parts off the damaged one.

engine has to be worth minimum £500 all day long (ignore the fact I sold my one for silly money).....gearbox £100....and as for the other parts of the car......well I reckon you could do quite well.

Jim

chriszs180
10-01-08, 09:02 AM
no dammage to the boot floor at all just the boot dented so that is nothing

no damage to any of the wings just the frount end pushed in and the fans have been pushed into the rad so not that bad am just going to phone now to get a full list of bits they think

i was just thinking if ralf at ems can do the bits and store the car while we get parts the frount and rear bumper are a bit saggy but as we know thats normal and needed looking at anyway will try and get pics tomorrow with a full list of bits.

Maxxed_Ross
10-01-08, 11:07 AM
see what the going rate is on Autotrader and tell them. I'd imagine it's worth more than that.

I'd fix it if I were you. I doubt it'll be a cat D as it's a financial write off. If you manage to source all the parts from a scrappies it shouldn't cost that much to fix

stamford
10-01-08, 12:30 PM
See what they offer, but I would be inclined to buy it back if the damage was minimal as the loss adjusters these days concerning MGR tend to be very negative and this has rubbed off on all repair shops too.

chriszs180
10-01-08, 01:53 PM
so they have given me a first quote of £5200 that is as he said before i look at the extras your car had .
i said they are up for £6500 with a standard interia and standard alloys and exhurst and as i have extras on mine with a full monogram interia i was looking for over £6000 he said he would look at it and that might be close so i might just scrap it and get something new will have to see.
the garage have said that the rad is very mangled and cant be fixed as well as the air con unit and once you get it out there could be more damage its just a risk im not sure i can take i dont know really

arwilson80
10-01-08, 02:18 PM
...and you could have it back along with the offer?

Southern Storm
10-01-08, 04:46 PM
A friend of mine had his little polo driven into the side by a mad woman in her dressing gown and slippers ranting it around in a silver astra.
Insurance company wrote it off and offered £1300. He said ok but i want to buy it back. So he kept the car and got £1200.
Not saying yours would be this cheap but........ if you have the space and time it would be worth enquiring. Say you get £6k. Find out how much to buy it back. Store it strip it sell the bits, make a profit, as Granville said engine is worth 500 maybe more. Wouldn't surprise me if you can get the car for that or thereabouts. Means you get a new ZS, an endless supply of spares and maybe money to make. Depends if you have the room and time.

chriszs180
10-01-08, 08:41 PM
with my situation and having to sell my house in the next few months i dont think i can store it anyware if they offer me over £6000 im going to take the money as i dont know enough about it to sort the damage myself and the garage said there could be damage behind the rad they cant see.

am test driving a ford st3 on sat as well so might have a change i know its not good but if i get an mg again i cant have this happen again just dont know really will see what they say on sat and monday for the insurance

am stripping mine on saturday as they only have my car for one day after it is written off and if my soundsystem was to go to a salvage yard it would be gone in 5mins...

oh well if i do get another car i will be here anyway....

Southern Storm
10-01-08, 09:28 PM
Hmmmm an ST3. A Ford!!!!!! To be fair though we don't see too many going through our service department with problems. One last week that had to have an engine replaced, but it had never been serviced and thrashed quite badly too. The volvo engine seems pretty strong. Most problems we see are electrical, rain sensing wipers and auto headlights etc. The volvo lump seems nice strong and punchy, but make sure its serviced. Real shame about the ZS but over £6000 is a good offer and as you say, bit unknown territory, would it ever drive the same again? Glad you are sticking around bud.

chriszs180
11-01-08, 02:25 PM
My Private Plate Have Themgzs.co.uk On Them And Will Be Going On The Focus If I Get It That Should Confuse Them When I Debadge It

R8NMG
11-01-08, 07:10 PM
Nice to have a comparison between the 180 and the ST.

al_roverMG
11-01-08, 07:39 PM
Good choice on the ST focus. I have to say being honest the ST is very very good to drive. Once the engine is chipped it also becomes so much more drivable as it runs out of puff top end as standard.

chriszs180
11-01-08, 10:49 PM
looking forward to the test drive tomorrow not looking forward to stripping the sound system out of the zs wires go every ware and as its going to salvage i dont want to take to much time will put a note in the glove box leading to this site as if it gets split for parts then someone might want the interia as it is lovely....

DeMoNPauL
12-01-08, 12:35 AM
Good choice on the ST focus. I have to say being honest the ST is very very good to drive. Once the engine is chipped it also becomes so much more drivable as it runs out of puff top end as standard.

From what i have read the st is set up very well but once chipped it becomes erratic and can not handle the power.

From what i have seen a stock one was all over the roundabout at speed whilst racing another car along the A1231.

I guess its mainly down to the driver though.

For what its worth though a fwd car is maxxed out at anything over 225bhp