PDA

View Full Version : Need help again :(

Adam 180 V6
23-07-13, 10:05 AM
Hi i recently posted on here about my cars random revving and holding the revs and cutting out etc.

I scanned the car and it came up as a Throttle position sensor. So i replaced the sensor and also idel valve thing thats located on top of the throttle body housing.

The random revving on tick over has now gone and it doesnt stall and no fault codes have came up, Although its still ticking over too high and when driving along at 3k or 4 for example when i lift of the accelarator the revs stay where they are untill i put into a lower gear so its like holding the revs at 4k when in neutral. I have noticed when i accelarate theres sometimes a hissing noise, im just wondering if maybe i have an air leak??

Any help on diagnosing and fixing would be appreciated.

Maxfly
23-07-13, 10:33 AM
check all your vacumn pipes, shiney black ones that mostly run horizontaly when looking at engine from front, might be an idea to remove the engine cover first to make tracing the leak easier:)

tb steve
23-07-13, 10:41 AM
might be worth trying to re-set the ECU ???
just take the battery off for 30mins

Adam 180 V6
23-07-13, 12:04 PM
just reset the ECU and no joy its still the same, i wouldnt no where to start when checking for air leaks.

stamford
23-07-13, 12:05 PM
Check IACV mating faces of housing to throttle body, apply sealant (blue hylomar etc) if the original gasket is damaged, clean off all remaining traces. Ensure IACV is seating correctly in its housing (located positively in the opposing countersink).

Adam 180 V6
23-07-13, 12:09 PM
Check IACV mating faces of housing to throttle body, apply sealant (blue hylomar etc) if the original gasket is damaged, clean off all remaining traces. Ensure IACV is seating correctly in its housing (located positively in the opposing countersink).

The original gasket looks fine tbh, i feel like im going round in circles trying the same things over and over. only thing i havnt checked for is air leaks as i dont no how to

Skillen
23-07-13, 12:30 PM
The original gasket looks fine tbh, i feel like im going round in circles trying the same things over and over. only thing i havnt checked for is air leaks as i dont no how to

Can of aerosol/butane gas spray it around the manifold/ iacv/ tb and if the revs pick up then you'll have found your leak.

Adam 180 V6
23-07-13, 12:33 PM
Can of aerosol/butane gas spray it around the manifold/ iacv/ tb and if the revs pick up then you'll have found your leak.
Thanks, ill try it tommorow, have to drive the bloody thing to work now

ZS
23-07-13, 12:45 PM
Alternatly... look at the throttle body springs etc and see if they are sticking, spray some WD40 in and around that area to degrease it and free it up. See if that helps with the issue :)

grimmy
23-07-13, 04:25 PM
Have the vis motors been disturbed recently or the plenum?

MG ZS STE
23-07-13, 04:40 PM
I'm sure I've read that there's a procedure you need to go through to reset the TPS. Will see if I can find it.

MG ZS STE
23-07-13, 06:05 PM
All I could find was a post on XPF, and it may not work on 180s. But I won't cost you owt to try. I'd also try to eliminate your throttle cable isn't sticking. Also I have a spare IACV gasket if your stuck (for cost). I've cleaned my IACV before and reusing the gasket is not advisable.

"Try reseting the throttle closed position by turning ign on to 2, pump the pedal 5 times, then start without any throttle after 5 secs".

talkingcars
23-07-13, 06:08 PM
I'm sure I've read that there's a procedure you need to go through to reset the TPS. Will see if I can find it.

There is for the 4 cylinder cars but it doesn't work on the KV6.

talkingcars
23-07-13, 06:10 PM
All I could find was a post on XPF, and it may not work on 180s. But I won't cost you owt to try. I'd also try to eliminate your throttle cable isn't sticking.

"Try reseting the throttle closed position by turning ign on to 2, pump the pedal 5 times, then start without any throttle after 5 secs".

Ignition to position 2, fully depress and release the accelerator peddle 5 times and wait until the stepper motor stops adjusting, then start the car.

Noobrider
23-07-13, 06:10 PM
TPS might need resetting on a computer, most cars with TPS need it to be reset so the ECU knows where the start and finish is

talkingcars
23-07-13, 06:13 PM

Personally I wouldn't spray a flammable gas around the engine, WD40 works quite well. What you'd have to do is drive the car until the revs, stick, roll into a layby, pop the bonnet and spray the WD40 around until the revs drop, after a little while I'd expect the WD40 gets sucked through and the revs pick up again.

Skillen
23-07-13, 06:49 PM
Personally I wouldn't spray a flammable gas around the engine, WD40 works quite well. What you'd have to do is drive the car until the revs, stick, roll into a layby, pop the bonnet and spray the WD40 around until the revs drop, after a little while I'd expect the WD40 gets sucked through and the revs pick up again.

Worked alright for my ZR haha!
Would probably work with deodorant too!

Fred68
23-07-13, 08:17 PM
It's worth resetting the TPS as per Talking cars procedure. Also check the throttle cable isn't sticking.

Adam 180 V6
23-07-13, 08:28 PM
Also it only does it when engines warm

Adam 180 V6
23-07-13, 08:34 PM
I've just got it on video I'll upload later on