PDA

View Full Version : MG ZR wheel.

daytona365
27-08-13, 08:48 PM
Just found a TY steering wheel on the bay from a ZR.....I know the MGF one fits, but needs a new coupler behind..What if anything is needed for a ZR wheel??

Just seen Rimmers still stock a new TY wheel!!!!!!!!!

Dave
27-08-13, 09:06 PM
Just found a TY steering wheel on the bay from a ZR.....I know the MGF one fits, but needs a new coupler behind..What if anything is needed for a ZR wheel??

Just seen Rimmers still stock a new TY wheel!!!!!!!!!
As like fitting the f/tf wheel to the ZR, it is a direct swap, but needs a small adapter fitting for the ZS.

I would imagine you may need a adapter making, when fitting the ZR wheel to the ZS.

I can't confirm this, but i think my logic makes sense for needing a converter/adapter.

Cheers
Dave

andys1981
27-08-13, 10:08 PM
ive just bought a tf wheel the other day there,what does this small metal adapter do,just cancel out the indicators

Maxfly
28-08-13, 12:12 AM
ive just bought a tf wheel the other day there,what does this small metal adapter do,just cancel out the indicators

Basically aye Andy, previously I have hAcksawed off the part required from my original wheels and attached that. At moment am running around with the TF wheel fitted directly, that lack of indicator cancelling is a smidge annoying but I will be getting an adaptor some way somehow:D

BTW takes naff all time to cut through the steering wheel, metal is fine and saft:)

andys1981
28-08-13, 04:15 PM
cool may give that a go gaz

talkingcars
28-08-13, 04:28 PM
ZR and TF wheels are the same fitting at the back but a ZR wheel takes the ZS airbag.

daytona365
29-08-13, 08:03 PM
Still confused.................Do I need a new coupling and if so from what car??

The wheel is going soon!!

Dave
29-08-13, 08:14 PM
Still confused.................Do I need a new coupling and if so from what car??

The wheel is going soon!!
You'll be able to use your existing coupling and airbag, just need the adapter so the indicators self cancel.

Cheers
Dave

daytona365
29-08-13, 08:20 PM
So the ZR wheel and airbag will go on ok, and I use the cancelling lugs from my ZS wheel?

Dave
29-08-13, 08:27 PM
So the ZR wheel and airbag will go on ok, and I use the cancelling lugs from my ZS wheel?
Yep.

I haven't done the conversion myself, but logically that should be it.

Go for it, can always re-sell it on ebay if it doesn't work.

Cheers
Dave

talkingcars
30-08-13, 08:02 AM
If you compare the back of a ZR wheel to a ZR/F/TF wheel you will see that the ZS cut outs are at 90' to the ZR/F/TF cut outs.

Some just cut the last bit of the ZS wheel out and machine it to fit the ZR/TF/F wheel, others go for a bespoke machined adaptor.

Just search threads about fitting an F/TF wheel for more info.

talkingcars
30-08-13, 08:03 AM
You should be able to use your ZS airbag on the ZR wheel with no cutting so it will still plug into the rotary coupler as before.