PDA

View Full Version : Yellow inserts.......

daytona365
28-08-13, 06:53 PM
Well after 2 months, managed to finally finish the front door inserts. But the rear ones, are awful. And with this in mind, I have decided to get on of my bodyshop customers to do the rear door cards and the dashboard inserts. So while he is hibernating, Im going to remove the said dashboard bits and take them to work. Get all four bits sprayed and put him back together. Then he will be a bit more Yellow inside. All I need now is the wheel. Pics when I have taken them...................

reaper0709
28-08-13, 06:58 PM
Looking good dude. Look forward to the coming pics :)

M17TT180
28-08-13, 06:59 PM
Gordo, i'm taking the dash I have in my garage down to the dump at some point, didn't know if you wanted to whip the inserts off it and have them sprayed instead?

daytona365
28-08-13, 07:11 PM
Gordo, i'm taking the dash I have in my garage down to the dump at some point, didn't know if you wanted to whip the inserts off it and have them sprayed instead?
Nice thought, but I have got to take mine off anyway....Now if yours were aleady TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still got your door cards lol.:wave:

talkingcars
28-08-13, 08:32 PM
I would have thought it would be easier to whip the dash out to swap the panels anyway rather than fiddling around underneath.

At the very least you'd be able to take them off and refit in one session.

M17TT180
28-08-13, 08:45 PM
I would have thought it would be easier to whip the dash out to swap the panels anyway rather than fiddling around underneath.

At the very least you'd be able to take them off and refit in one session.

They just pull off from the front.

talkingcars
28-08-13, 08:48 PM
They just pull off from the front.

LOL, shows what I know, what I do know is that the mk1 door inserts aren't quite so easy.

daytona365
31-08-13, 05:33 PM

You still got your dash???? May want to borrow some bits off it, broke a bit off one off my vents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M17TT180
31-08-13, 05:49 PM
You still got your dash???? May want to borrow some bits off it, broke a bit off one off my vents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes mate, just let me know when.

daytona365
31-08-13, 06:01 PM
Yes mate, just let me know when.

Could you bring it when you pop over to see Dan tomorrow??

M17TT180
31-08-13, 06:22 PM
Could you bring it when you pop over to see Dan tomorrow??

What do you need?

daytona365
31-08-13, 06:29 PM
Well..........The big grey trim from the n/s vent to the dashboard, I took off.

The n/s vent broke as I took it off, so I need a new one...They unscrew from the trim, but I didnt know that until I took it off............ I managed to break the wheel that moves the flap! I hope it all goes back together once its painted.............

M17TT180
31-08-13, 06:32 PM
So do you just want vents or the whole trim peice?

daytona365
31-08-13, 06:46 PM
So do you just want vents or the whole trim peice?

Well the bit I really need is the N/s VENT............:smile1:

talkingcars
31-08-13, 06:50 PM
Take him the dash - LOL

daytona365
31-08-13, 06:53 PM
Take him the dash - LOL

LOL, if not I can pinch one from Dans car............

M17TT180
31-08-13, 06:53 PM
Take him the dash - LOL

Lol!

I'll bring you the whole strip.

daytona365
31-08-13, 06:58 PM
lol................see you tomorrow...............

daytona365
31-08-13, 09:49 PM
Just so you can see what Ive done, here aresome pics...Makes me upset seeing him broken. Just looking forward to the yellow trim going on...

Dave
31-08-13, 09:57 PM
Damn, pity you are where you are, could have done with that dash as well :(

Cheers
Dave

daytona365
08-09-13, 03:40 PM
Well the trims are away at the bodyshop, so decided to start replacing the door cards. Boy what a f*****g awful job. Cant believe the aggro I had. I mean, when I took the o/s trim off M177TT80 old TY car, they came off easy. Mine were still stuck on. Thought I was gonna have to leave it origional.......Managed to take door card off, and replaced the broken clips on new one with good ones from my old one. Then lined it up and discovered a major problem. The multiplug for the electric windows didnt fit. The switch is totally different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never mind swap switches over. NOPE as the plastic it sits in has a different hole and my switch wouldnt fit in the new door, so had to undo the handle to swap over covers. Once done, just had to put trim back on door..........YEAH RIGHT. Trying to get the trim over the top of the door, the air was blue, either it wouldnt go on or I got it over the metal, but with my fingers caught.....
Begining to wish Id never started, then it all finally snapped into place and the first yellow trim is in..............................

Dan1971
08-09-13, 03:42 PM
Good for you Gordon....

M17TT180
08-09-13, 03:49 PM
Lol its never easy!

daytona365
08-09-13, 04:10 PM
Lol its never easy!

Hopefully the other 3 will be easier, no switches for starters....:wall:

talkingcars
08-09-13, 06:34 PM
I had assumed the switch change was a mk1/2 thing, didn't realise it was when the strip went missing.

The trick to getting the front card on is to open the window, plug in the switch, then with the card at about a 45' angle engage the front corner as close to the mirror as you can, then as you lower the card tilt it so the bottom is towards you and slide it under the mirror, line up the lock pin, once it is in the right place thump it down to ensure it is in place, finally thump all the way round to locate the plastic clips.

daytona365
14-09-13, 10:44 PM
Next instalment....................the N/S front door. Now I thought this one would be a lot easier, as (A) Id done one already and (B) no electric window switch to worry about.
HA HA...getting it off was just as hard, damm thing was glued on. Then once I got the new one lined up, despite knowing how to avoid getting my fingers trapped it still involved plenty of cursing and 3 fingers ripped to shreds. Still as you can see in the pics I now have both front doors done. Still no dash yet, as my bodyshop man on holiday.
However if you look closely at the new N/S door, you can see my road map no longer fits!!! Yep suprise suprise the older style door card, has a smaller door pocket!!!!!! Same shape, but a lump of plastic insert is at the back , thus making the pocket smaller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What will go wrong with the rear doors??? All I can say is Im glad Im using my origional dash trim......

talkingcars
15-09-13, 08:40 AM
I noticed the lump when I swapped my cards, wasn't sure if it could be removed so didn't try, might do on a scrap yard car next time I'm there.

daytona365
15-09-13, 09:53 AM
I noticed the lump when I swapped my cards, wasn't sure if it could be removed so didn't try, might do on a scrap yard car next time I'm there.

Never noticed when I did the drivers door. It was only when I went to put my road map back.........:wall:

POMPSKI
15-09-13, 11:39 AM
Its ok the rear door cards are much easier :p

Looking good