PDA

View Full Version : Popping out of gear

mattie007
09-09-13, 02:01 PM
Just driving home from work and heard some clunking noises. Then it popped out of gear when I lifted off the accelerator. Also makes a thud when I put my foot down hard. Any ideas? If its something big then could be the end of the Zed :(

ZS
09-09-13, 02:11 PM
Have you got fluid in the gearbox? (or enough MTF94 in there at least)

Had similar where my car would push itself out of 5th gear (180) on motorways... turns out it was no oil in the box, cost me £400 at the time to get the box rebuilt :( - Only for the box to start doing it again 1 year later with the same result... no oil!

In tat case it turned out to be the selector shaft seal that was faulty, I changed that myself for £5 and then filled it up with oil again and had no issues with that box till I sold it two years later (that was the blue 180)

Anyway... check the oil levels :)

red robbo
09-09-13, 05:46 PM
Had this trouble many moons ago (1988 I believe), with my Triumph Dolomite Sprint gearbox. Kept jumping out of 4th (in or out of overdrive). Turned out to be the layshaft. Had to hold it in gear.

talkingcars
09-09-13, 05:53 PM
I had issues with a 1.6 maestro where the gear linkage kept popping off but that is more a gear selection problem than jumping out of gear.

Ritchy
09-09-13, 05:59 PM
Engine mount broken?/ bush gone

Din
09-09-13, 07:00 PM
If it is the input shaft bearing they tend to make a bit of a racket when they go at tick over in neutrol... If you need a box I have one still bolted to my dead v6 in the garage you could have for not a lot.

Din
09-09-13, 07:01 PM
Incidentally pg1s are easy to take apart and put back together..

Ritchy
09-09-13, 07:10 PM
Look at the engine steady bar ;)

mattie007
09-09-13, 08:26 PM
Thanks all :)
Just got in from work so will check tomorrow. The only signs I had was when at tickover there was a funny clicking/buzzing sound coming into the cabin, but I put this down to age as it didn't affect the drive. Its just past its MOT so shouldn't any issues have been spotted?

Din
09-09-13, 11:04 PM
Mot has ****** all to do with it... But input shaft bearing make quite a noise at tick over.

mattie007
10-09-13, 09:11 AM
Im at work so not had a chance to look under the bonnet, but had a look around the forums and most point to a 'input shaft bearing' being the cause. Rattling noise at idle that disappears when the clutch is pressed.
Easy fix?

p_b82
10-09-13, 09:31 AM
Mine was doing something similar - the circlip holding the driveshaft in wasn't doing it's job so it would **** the oil out, and then at 3000 rpm with the 'right' steering input it would pop out a touch....

No drive and a box full of neutrals... waggle the wheel a bit and it would pop in again!

Made the drive to the airport for work 'exciting' as rally_matt could not reproduce it when he had the car and thought i was cracking up, until he could not get it to pop back in and had to get under the car on the hard shoulder.... He worked out what it was there and then and sorted it :laugh:

mattie007
11-09-13, 11:04 PM
Had a few quotes and most garages want a few hours labour plus parts so I'm thinking of changing as its on 94k, plus it has a few niggles. An identical one is for sale privately for £800. Looks in good condition, FSH, 80k miles and HG recently replaced.
My idea is if I can get it for £600, then I can sell my mk2 wheels and a few other bits, swap over the exhaust and induction then weigh in for scrap.
Sensible idea or just spend a few hundred quid on mine but I know it's going to need a major service, radiator and coolant/oil loss sorting as well.

mattie007
25-09-13, 05:25 PM
Ok, now the ZT deal is off I want to get this sorted ASAP as I need it for work. Starting to get cold on the motorbike!
Thought I'd start it after 2 weeks and take it round the block. If you pull away slowly you wouldn't notice any issue, it's only when you lift off the clutch quicker than normal. Gear changes are as smooth as when I bought the car on 20k miles so don't think it's the box or gearbox fluids. The gear stick just tends to wobble more in lower revs. Reckon it is a mount of some sorts, so where exactly should I look?

ZS
25-09-13, 05:39 PM
Check for play in the universal joint, directly under the gearstick but under the car... if that makes sense?

peterzs
25-09-13, 06:48 PM
Isnt there a replacement set of bushes for the gear linkage.

Dan had to get his Ignition blue one sorted, said it was like stirring porridge, trying to change gear.

Dont know if that would pop it out of gear though!!!

:rambo::rambo:

mattie007
25-09-13, 09:47 PM
Could be a number of things but I'm taking it to someone on Saturday who will hopefully diagnose the issue. Would be nice to keep it going and past 100k!

mattie007
30-09-13, 11:40 AM
Good news! After all that, turns out to be a loose bolt on the engine mount! Think Ritchy wins first prize! Just popped it to a local backstreet garage and £5 later all is well. God I've missed driving that thing :)

POMPSKI
30-09-13, 05:10 PM
Which bolt?

mattie007
30-09-13, 06:27 PM
One of the bottom ones? I'm not sure exactly but said it had come loose.

mattie007
02-10-13, 09:27 AM
Apparently it wasnt an engine mount but some sort of link bar? I'll take a photo when I get some free time.

Ritchy
02-10-13, 05:24 PM
Steady bar:) still a mount

mattie007
02-10-13, 05:39 PM
That's the one! :)