PDA

View Full Version : HELP.....the zeds dead

pb25
16-09-13, 03:16 PM
I'm having a f'ing nightmere today. Get a call from the school as my youngest son is spewing so leave work jump in the pug which had decided to let water in (again) frying the electrics.....managed to nurse it home with wipers going off on there own, all dash lights on etc.

Jump in the zed to get back to work and collect middle son and the battery was flat so put it on charge for 30 mins. Car started and set off, went about 15 miles and the car just cut out. No lights, nothing. When I try and start it the starter motor just makes a high pitch whirring noise but doesnt feel like its trying. Rang the AA and they have said 2 hours even though I'm only 5 miles from the garage.

If the battery is low would the starter motor make this noise? Had a quick look under the bonnet and nothing obvious, belts are still on, have 1/2 a tank of fuel.

Anyone any ideas?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

petet16
16-09-13, 03:24 PM
It could be a failed alternator.

Maxfly
16-09-13, 03:47 PM
I would also go with alternator initially, get a volt reading from terminals and see what it say:)

pb25
16-09-13, 03:56 PM
The battery light didnt come on but will test the alternator when i get recovered. The garge will be here in the next 30 mins with a power pack and a new battery so we'll see if it is that......2 cars in one day :-(

pb25
16-09-13, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the replies

Maxfly
16-09-13, 03:59 PM
Once on the green ZS it wouldn't start and had same high pitches whirring noise as you describe. It turned out to be badly gapped spark plugs and the way to get it started was to plant accelerator to floor and crank away. Sparks were not giving good enough spark to ignite fuel so engine basically flooded and needed plenty air to get burnt hence planting accelerator!

ZS
16-09-13, 05:10 PM
Once on the green ZS it wouldn't start and had same high pitches whirring noise as you describe. It turned out to be badly gapped spark plugs and the way to get it started was to plant accelerator to floor and crank away. Sparks were not giving good enough spark to ignite fuel so engine basically flooded and needed plenty air to get burnt hence planting accelerator!

Isnt pb`s zs a diesel though?

pb25
16-09-13, 05:23 PM
3 words.....timing + belt + snapped :-( :-( :-(

petet16
16-09-13, 05:27 PM
Deep gloom:sad:

Dan1971
16-09-13, 05:37 PM

Merd ..... :drunk:

Enright
16-09-13, 05:42 PM
Isnt pb`s zs a diesel though?

I often think the same when I first see the userid, but I think you (and I) are getting mixed up with p_b82

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=10401

POMPSKI
16-09-13, 05:47 PM

Ahhh crap.

"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead"

Here is to hoping you haven't bent any valves :)

pb25
16-09-13, 05:53 PM
The garage guy wanted know if I wanted him to ring the scrappy :-( that and the pug going its a :-( day......never even got the rear leccy windows fitted

Think I might just SORN it and see what the damage is and fix it.....I do love mandy the zed

POMPSKI
16-09-13, 05:55 PM
Feel for you buddy......

Maxfly
16-09-13, 06:23 PM
I often think the same when I first see the userid, but I think you (and I) are getting mixed up with p_b82

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=10401

He is right though, don't know why but always think its a 180, even though his sig tells me what it actually is!

Not good on timing belt what a shitter :(( think a replacment L series lump should be sought and get Mandy running round the far north again!

pb25
16-09-13, 07:27 PM
Well if people are willing to help me via the forum then I'm more than willing to perform open heart surgery on Mandy......but I'm a virgin when it comes to heads, timing belts etc so it might require a lot of help......sorry.

Now pouring over flea bay trying to find a pug partner being broken so I can get the ecus and key and be back on the road. Have found one in Newcastle that may be a winner and the guy wants peanuts for the bits so off on to peugeot service box to find out

ZS
16-09-13, 07:51 PM
Well if people are willing to help me via the forum then I'm more than willing to perform open heart surgery on Mandy......but I'm a virgin when it comes to heads, timing belts etc so it might require a lot of help......sorry.

Now pouring over flea bay trying to find a pug partner being broken so I can get the ecus and key and be back on the road. Have found one in Newcastle that may be a winner and the guy wants peanuts for the bits so off on to peugeot service box to find out

If you were closer i would offer to help you inspect the damage etc and maybe fix it...

I know of one L series that snapped its timing belt, the owner then just fitted a new one and re-timed then all was good again (no bent valves etc) but he was damn lucky!

grimmy
16-09-13, 08:20 PM
Instead of repairing it.I would say it would be easier to replace the engine a lot less hassle.

pb25
16-09-13, 09:20 PM
Changing an engine scares the sh*t out of me!

Supercharged_Z
16-09-13, 09:35 PM
changing the engine will be a lot easier than repair.

engine is unbolt stuff and lift. lower new engine in and rebolt and connect.

repair is messing around with timing taking heads of maybe and generally about 1500 times more technical than a engine change

andys1981
16-09-13, 10:12 PM
that is bad news mate,hope you can find another engine for mandy,as others have said probably easier,than repairing it

pb25
16-09-13, 10:32 PM
Would something like this do?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREELANDER-2-0-DI-L-SERIES-DIESEL-ENGINE-/331013972312?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d11f86158

Or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mg-zr-zs-rover-25-46-complete-2-0-L-series-turbo-diesel-engine-fly-by-wire-pump-/231041259406?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35cb21d78e

Are they reasonable prices?

andys1981
16-09-13, 10:39 PM
im not sure with the first pic,but id imagine 2nd pic would be fine,am sure guys on here will confirm,never had a diesel sorry

Maxfly
17-09-13, 05:10 AM
I would agree with Andy on the fact that 2nd engine should be fine but would wait for the derv experts to confirm and also whether the price is fine.
To save yourself hassle in the future add a timing belt kit so that when you put engine in you know belts, tensioners etc are fine. Will also save hassle being fitted before engine goes in due to easier access.

As Ross says it would be far easier to do an engine swap than repair, take a note of where everything plugs into etc for ease of refitment. You could also strip the old engine of as much ancilleries as you can and build up spares or recoup some cost by selling on :)

peterzs
17-09-13, 09:31 AM
Sounds OK, make sure you get all the bits with whatever engine, know you will have them on yours but stuff like the fuel pump, cost mega bucks, injectors etc, get your money back by selling the bits you dont want.

I'd try and get a written warranty saying you get the your money back if its no good, A one months warranty would do it, just makes you feel a bit happier if they will cover it. Just the cost of swapping it if it does go wrong.

Agree with Maxfly re the belts.

ZRed
17-09-13, 12:09 PM
ouch.

I may have a diesel zr engine here. Would need to look.

pb25
18-09-13, 11:44 AM
Right have had a bit of time to thing about Mandy's future. I have found parts for the pug which should be here on Friday so a bit of programming and I'll be back on the road. It looks klike I'm buying a Ford Focus tdci estate tomorrow aswell so that I have back up (I loved the 1.8 tdci engine in my last focus)....it's pennies and I do miss the estate.

As for Mandy's my plan is to get her under cover and start stripping it down to assess the damage.....I'm quite looking forward to the challenge. If the damage is bad then I'll get another engine and put that in. If its OK then I'll fit a new timing belt etc and get her back on the road. Will give me a chance to get the suspension off and tidy/refurb that aswell.

So Mandy will live again, not sure when but the North coast will be hearing the zed roar again!!!!

ZRed if you do have one then PM what you want for it. Probably won't take it immediately as storage space is limited but may well be needing one in the next couple of months.

ZRed
18-09-13, 12:00 PM
I have a ZR TD MK2 here mate that I`ve been running about in for the last few weeks. Looking to move it on. Could be a motor for you to run whilst fixing the zs?

Enright
18-09-13, 01:05 PM
I've previously read on the diesel section of mg-rover.org that when a timing belt goes it usually lunches the head by smashing the lifters. The bottom ends are pretty bomb-proof. Another head assembly should see you right (like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-25-MG-ZR-2-0-TD-8v-Cylinder-Head-131-260-Miles-2000-2006-/171124534835?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d7d12e33#ht_1275wt_813)
...and a Haynes manual is good enough to walk you though the process. The most tricky bit is timing the fuel pump as the instructions in the Haynes are wrong.
At least ZRed's ZR TD offer could get you out of the immediate hole, then you can review your most cost effective option to get up and running again.

pb25
19-09-13, 06:23 PM
Well today I took delivery of a focus 1.8 tdci paying not much more than a second hand l series engine! The body work is a bit tatty and its done 140k miles but has been maticulously maintained with all the paperwork to prove it......so I'm mobile again and I have to say I do like the tdci engine.

Once the pug is fixed Mandy will be going into the garage and I'll start stripping the head etc to see whether I can get away with a new head or if its a full engine change. I've got loads of other bits and bobs to do on it anyway, track rod ends, suspension, decat, rear leccie windows so will just take my time and get her sorted.

Thanks Zred for the offer but with 4 kids and a dog a zr wouldnt be big enough and I would have only offered you pennies.

Stay tuned and I'll post pictures along the way........and thanks for all the advice and help, much appreciated

andys1981
19-09-13, 10:34 PM
good luck mate hope it all works out

pb25
21-09-13, 04:47 PM
Thanks Andy

Would you believe it....after dropping off number 2 son at a swimming gala called in at the local garage to sort out a MOT for the focus which is due next month. Told the owner that the zed timing belt had snapped and one of the lads working for him dad has just taken his diesel zed off the road as the car is rotten and the suspensions shot.....but the engine is good! Getting him to give me a price so might get an engine 'locally' :-)

peterzs
21-09-13, 05:28 PM
Supply and fit, I reckon.

pb25
21-09-13, 05:53 PM
Yeah was thinking that but could quickly get up to £500+ with a timing belt set etc but the only thing stopping me is an engine hoist......but I might be able to get one from a friend

andys1981
21-09-13, 07:21 PM
there you go theres a wee bit of hope then,saves on delivery etc,thats good to hear,hope the engine is all good mate