PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fitted throttle boddies to a zs?

redzed
30-10-13, 10:28 PM
http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/rover-kv6/induction

never seen these before

petet16
30-10-13, 10:32 PM
Drew has done some work using Triumph tb's

sneekyparrot
31-10-13, 05:44 AM
What ever happened to the one George M built with the carbon air box?
Last thing I saw it was running but needed some setting up on the Dyno.

P.

Mark S
31-10-13, 06:41 AM
The car George did is up and running, and is very strong top end with around 165lb/ft torque at the wheels, this may well increase with further tuning.

It is about the only ZS (with std ratios) I know of, that can accelerate through 5th gear, G said 152mph top speed, not having seen it do 152, I can not confirm, but it is a different animal to a std ZS.

That was simply an intake/plenum, and used a 1.8 small throttle body, proving that power is not necessarily found in size of, or throttle bodies, but rather design of the intake trumpets from plenum and volume of plenum along with venturi design and bellmouths.

Mark S
31-10-13, 06:44 AM
http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/rover-kv6/induction

never seen these before

Ask Pete Burchill, I heard a rumour they fitted them to the britcar, or were going to until they realised the bonnet wouldn't close.

redzed
31-10-13, 07:00 AM
The car George did is up and running, and is very strong top end with around 165lb/ft torque at the wheels, this may well increase with further tuning.

It is about the only ZS (with std ratios) I know of, that can accelerate through 5th gear, G said 152mph top speed, not having seen it do 152, I can not confirm, but it is a different animal to a std ZS.

That was simply an intake/plenum, and used a 1.8 small throttle body, proving that power is not necessarily found in size of, or throttle bodies, but rather design of the intake trumpets from plenum and volume of plenum along with venturi design and bellmouths.

so was that the only mod on the car then?

Mark S
31-10-13, 08:36 AM
so was that the only mod on the car then?

George would be the man, or steve who owns it, I think the car has 270cams and some cat back exhaust, but it made 25whp+ with the only difference being the inlet plenum, so yes, it appears that just that mod is worth 25-30bhp alone!

talkingcars
31-10-13, 03:45 PM
or were going to until they realised the bonnet wouldn't close.

Was going to say good luck shutting the bonnet on them.

redzed
31-10-13, 04:31 PM
George would be the man, or steve who owns it, I think the car has 270cams and some cat back exhaust, but it made 25whp+ with the only difference being the inlet plenum, so yes, it appears that just that mod is worth 25-30bhp alone!

crickey! bloody good mod, hmmm might start saving for some throttle bodies then!

petet16
31-10-13, 04:59 PM
crickey! bloody good mod, hmmm might start saving for some throttle bodies then!

That was a btcc throttle body and plenum, good luck with the search for one :smile1:

maxtherotti
31-10-13, 06:30 PM
Then there is the noise!!!:lovers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEYv9tykKY

Rob

petet16
31-10-13, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbO8SnsWJJE

redzed
31-10-13, 06:39 PM
Then there is the noise!!!:lovers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEYv9tykKY

Rob

ooooo! nice!

petet16
31-10-13, 06:43 PM
13:1 cr, 2.0, 308 bhp,sweet

tb steve
31-10-13, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=Mark S;324218]The car George did is up and running, and is very strong top end with around 165lb/ft torque at the wheels, this may well increase with further tuning.

i can confirm the car does run just but not finished lots of little bits to do and has STILL not been mapped and is sitting on my drive
fingers crossed should be going up to track and road tomorrow to be finished off
(well quoted to be finished off)

Mark S
31-10-13, 07:44 PM

That was a btcc throttle body and plenum, good luck with the search for one :smile1:

I believe there was only 2 of these ever made, 1 is on Turks car in Ireland, and the other is on Steves.

The design is actually quite simple - easy to say after **** Bennetts spent a large sum of cash getting these proto-typed, but flow simulation, 3D printing and design, along with the carbon fibre work does not come cheap.

Even if you could replicate it, you would still need the short stubby injectors and custom fuel rail etc.

But you can take from it its design. Whilst the BTC version works well on a road car, it was likely designed to work on the 3rd harmonic wave 7-8.5k but works on the std ZS on the 4th harmonic with a slightly weaker pulse at 5.5-6k.
This is just a guess BTW, I have no evidence or put any science or maths into that.

If your interested in looking into a custom setup, I would ask around the cockshoot, I think there is some talk of intake there.

tb steve
01-11-13, 11:10 AM
the person who G got mine from was (on the forms) was called shorty in scotland i think he has a load of zs btcc stuff engine boxes and as far as im aware he had the double plenum one too but this was a few years ago

p.s dont forget you will need a new ecu as well so there 2.5k gone stright away :hmmm:

Eddie
06-11-13, 03:52 PM
Back when I owned a ZS I spent a lot of time chatting with QED about there ITB development, at the time they has a pair of KV6 2 ltr engines on the test rig (dyno), in fact I managed to set-up a forum visit which was very interesting. They made 2 variants of the ITB one which was designed specifically to clear the bonnet but required a fair amount of engineering to move other components out of the way, also a hike if CR, solid lifters and improved cams.
Reasonable gains but the kit was for the kit car market rather than the ZS, couple of forum members looked very closely into the ITB's but the amount of work and money required was enormous.
There was a guy running a KV6 on ITB's from Scotland in a ZR but I understood reliability may have been an issue as he was making close to 300bhp but it proves it can be done.
George used a carbon airbox with a single throttle body removing the restrictive intake but I wouldn't expect massive gains on stock CR, slightly wilder cams and an off the shelf set of manifolds, yes there will be gains but I wouldn't have thought much.

Mark S
06-11-13, 05:12 PM
George used a carbon airbox with a single throttle body removing the restrictive intake but I wouldn't expect massive gains on stock CR, slightly wilder cams and an off the shelf set of manifolds, yes there will be gains but I wouldn't have thought much.

it made an extra 20lb/ft over the standard from 4-7k, which is enough to give a 25-30bhp increase at the wheels.
certainly not a 300bhp screamer, but that sort of power and torque increase from the intake is enough to raise my eyebrows!

Eddie
06-11-13, 10:02 PM
I think a good question to ask, has anyone mapped after market cams, manifolds on a stand alone ECU, I feel this would net good results too, having control of fueling and ignition is a major bonus, after all the stock inlet will flow enough to make good power, you may be able to use an auxiliary port on the ECU to run the stepper motors for the VIS, although, personally I would map around it.
As much as I like the carbon inlet on Steve's I really think gains could be made through mapping and basic mods, or if this type of inlet is something you want then have an aluminum plenum and runners fabricated this will allow you to graft the shape to accommodate space without compromising the flow, 5 ltr plenum with some tuned runners isn't a difficult job.

This complete set-up is all made in house and the hardest part was the designing

redzed
06-11-13, 10:34 PM
That is awesome! Details on that set up please !

Eddie
07-11-13, 02:43 PM
Honda EG Coupe prepared for FWD Drag racing with 8.5 second cage
Honda B18 81.5 mm block with cylinder support system (CSS) which holds the top of the sleeves
Stock Honda B20 crank with B18 forged rods making near as dam 2.0 ltr (stroked)
Forged CP pistons 81.5 mm CR 13.1 (yes that high for boost)
Home made exhaust manifold (front facing)
Custom built inter cooler with modified end tanks
Home made inlet manifold port matched to 90 mm throttle body
Turbo BW366
Cams to be decided
ARP hardware through-out

Looking to make 600 WHP (700-800 fly) and running low 9's

Simple but clean build for next year.

redzed
07-11-13, 04:23 PM
Honda EG Coupe prepared for FWD Drag racing with 8.5 second cage
Honda B18 81.5 mm block with cylinder support system (CSS) which holds the top of the sleeves
Stock Honda B20 crank with B18 forged rods making near as dam 2.0 ltr (stroked)
Forged CP pistons 81.5 mm CR 13.1 (yes that high for boost)
Home made exhaust manifold (front facing)
Custom built inter cooler with modified end tanks
Home made inlet manifold port matched to 90 mm throttle body
Turbo BW366
Cams to be decided
ARP hardware through-out

Looking to make 600 WHP (700-800 fly) and running low 9's

Simple but clean build for next year.

nice set up!!! its amazing how similar the zs is in the chassis when looking at that

Eddie
07-11-13, 08:48 PM
Exactly, I would very much like to see someone do a K series swap into the ZS either the K20 vtec then turbo it or a K24/K20 hybrid vtec NASP light and powerful engines that would compliment the ZS's great handling.
TBH, KV6 by the time you have spent out on a set of cams, manifolds, carbon inlet and stand alone ECU plus mapping you could have the above with a lot more potential. A basic K20 turbo with an unopened stock internals lump will make 450 bhp. Not that I don't like or rate the KV6 because I do it's just such an expensive unit to tune, it really needs stronger sleeves if you want to rev it or even boost, shame it can't be made to work reliably in a higher state of tune at a reasonable price.

Jay-ZS+
07-11-13, 10:11 PM
As Eddie said easy enough to make a system. Could be designed to give best power improvements at a predetermined rpm. The maths is really not that difficult. I designed a set up for an sxv engine that had a restrictor in the inlet (racing regs). Designed around this to reduce the rpm of the power band due to the air flow becoming choked over 10,000rpm. Was matched with custom cams but principle is the same.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk