PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium valve caps = Bad idea!!

Jay-ZS+
16-11-13, 11:16 AM
Bought some nice looking aluminium valve caps after some pikey robbed mine. Bad idea, just gone to check my tyre pressures and they are all stuck solid!! The caps have corroded onto the brass valves.

If you've done the same I suggest you take them off if you still can!

talkingcars
16-11-13, 11:22 AM
I came across a bag of caps left in our yard after a tyre fitter had changed some truck tyres - fitted a set to my wifes ZR and after 3 months found they had done the same - managed to get them off and lightly applied lithium grease to stop it happening again.

R8NMG
16-11-13, 12:08 PM
I use these and I believe they are normally fitted to some German cars. I have never had any issues with them.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=301012706567

Jay-ZS+
16-11-13, 12:24 PM
Mine have probably been on for at least a year and not touched once. They were stuck solid had to resort to a hacksaw blade and cut them off!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/16/a4aha6uh.jpg

grimmy
16-11-13, 12:53 PM
I had these as well I had mole grips with a cloth around them told the rubber part of the valve and another set to try and remove the cap luckily it worked.

Maxfly
16-11-13, 01:42 PM
Yep had this same problem on my zr years ago and used the same method as yourself to get them off. Since then I have always smeared a bit of Vaseline on the threads and have had no problems since. Should you no be checking tyre pressures mair than once per year though ;)

Jay-ZS+
16-11-13, 02:35 PM
Yep had this same problem on my zr years ago and used the same method as yourself to get them off. Since then I have always smeared a bit of Vaseline on the threads and have had no problems since. Should you no be checking tyre pressures mair than once per year though ;)

Most likely they were down to 22. Might partly explain my sub 20mpg. Had a puncher today so tuck the spare on which was only inflated to 13psi! Got plastic caps on now and fully inflated tyres :)

Ritchy
16-11-13, 03:09 PM
Same as above, I grease mine prior to fitting and had no issues, good news is tyre llaces wont charge much for valves

daytona365
16-11-13, 03:24 PM
Mine are plastic, so not problem with them rusting on......

peterzs
16-11-13, 05:41 PM
Yep. bought some MG ones off ebay, put copper slip on the threads, then forgot about them until the monthly pressure check (cough).

Couldn't move them, used Grimmys method, mole grip on the valve and a small spanner on the caps and loads of pressure. Eventually got them all off, now nice black plastic ones fitted.

Reminds me to check pressures tomorrow.

:beer2::beer2::beer2:

stamford
18-11-13, 07:27 AM
Quite a common problem, I had similar a few years ago and have fitted standard plastic ones since, not worth the hassle.