PDA

View Full Version : Icey weather is back.

BUCKYDEVIL
22-11-13, 07:27 PM
Well as it's now officially back to bollock frozen cold weather I hope everyone stays safe and stays lucky with the not so carefull drivers, usually a nasty tale and pics of the best ZS being wrote off.
Need to get WD on my door seals as couldn't get doors open at work & had the nice rattle of solid ice in spoiler.
On the happier side I went round a huge industrial estate empty car park to practice skid recovery, little things like this make me love the car again.

Stephen
22-11-13, 07:33 PM
Returning the jetta in freezing cold conditions isnt great either.

Take care all!!

Also preicer is great. Spray on the night before and wipe clear in the morning ;)

Steven11
22-11-13, 08:15 PM
I love scraping ice off the inside of my windscreen !!!

Skillen
22-11-13, 08:16 PM
If my heated screen hurries up I won't have to wait too long in the mornings anymore!
Gonna prep it with lots of rain-x before fitting to hopefully stop ice sticking to readily also.

I need two new tyres as well. Became apparent as the understeer around a slow right around a roundabout came into play!

Steven11
22-11-13, 08:20 PM
If my heated screen hurries up I won't have to wait too long in the mornings anymore!
Gonna prep it with lots of rain-x before fitting to hopefully stop ice sticking to readily also.

I need two new tyres as well. Became apparent as the understeer around a slow right around a roundabout came into play!

Might be worth putting winter tyre's on her. They do make a massive difference.

petet16
22-11-13, 08:24 PM
Might be worth putting winter tyre's on her. They do make a massive difference.

I agree re winter tyres, they work really well on cold wet roads.

Skillen
22-11-13, 08:48 PM
I was just gonna go for contisports to match the rears as anything will be better than the budget "autogrips" that are on there.
Suppose I could get the spare 11 spokes wrapped in winter tyres but I had no problems last year and driving through a very snowy Norfolk with the 4 contact 3's on my mk1 hatch.

tcb 180
23-11-13, 09:00 AM
Just put the Coopers snow tyres back on the merc for the winter period. Picked up and refurbed some spare wheels.

andys1981
23-11-13, 10:30 AM
ive just put 4 tyres on last week so should be fine,just dreading the snow etc

grimmy
23-11-13, 11:34 AM
Not enjoying this weather.my tyres are shocking.make nankang ditch finders look like f1 tyres .any sort ofmoisture on the road and I am understeering all over the place my only saving grace is the slippy diff that was fitted last year by Goldie it is certainly getting used at the moment.as for snow it just stays in the garage.as because it's been lowered it works more like a plough than a car if there is any significant snow on the road.

KevG
23-11-13, 12:54 PM
Any normal tyre doesn't work properly below 7 Degrees, But I have never used any form of snow tyre on any car I have had, and didn't need too, winter tyres is/are a marketing gimmick the same as Christmas and Easter, all you really need to do is adjust your driving style to the weather conditions and you'll be good, easy really.

talkingcars
23-11-13, 01:52 PM
Any normal tyre doesn't work properly below 7 Degrees, But I have never used any form of snow tyre on any car I have had, and didn't need too, winter tyres is/are a marketing gimmick the same as Christmas and Easter, all you really need to do is adjust your driving style to the weather conditions and you'll be good, easy really.

Well said - worth some rep.

Rossy
25-11-13, 01:15 AM
Have a trusty mate who works for a well known tyre/exhaust company ... and his words are :quote there are some right easy sales out there that spend dosh on "winter tyres" for what reason !! ... I have always gone bye his advice on wheels and tyres and so far has always come up trumps ... if only I could get it to moove ...

Dan1971
25-11-13, 08:12 AM
Lot of money for what you'd actually need for a very limited period. I don't doubt they are a bit better in snow, I assume deeper tread pattern similar to off road, but ice is ice and nothing but spikes work on that.