PDA

View Full Version : Wheres my oil gone?!

Jay-ZS+
01-12-13, 02:54 PM
The car was making some weird sounds this morning on the way to work when I got there checked the oil just to see and it appeared empty. Anyway before leaving work I checked again and it appeared full. Drove home and rechecked it 10mins after stoppping and was empty again.

Realise that most of it will be floating around the engine but should be some in the slump all the time, definitely 10mins after stopping.

I'm thinking filter needs changing as didn't get round to it over summer so its overdue.

petet16
01-12-13, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't be too bothered about the level, if it's showing between min and max after the oil has drained back to the sump that's good, the weird noises would bother me more.

petet16
01-12-13, 03:18 PM
Is the oil light going out ok

Jay-ZS+
01-12-13, 03:31 PM
Yer the oil light goes out on start up. But when stopping surely there should be something on the dipstick. It was bone dry 5-10mins after I'd arrived home, drive back from work probably 15mins.

Couldnt hear the noises on the way home. But was definatley something up this morning as the engine started up there was almost a rattling sound along with a tappy sound.

The engine has always had a bad tappet sound but this was an additional tap, then when I stopped and looked under the engine there was a sort of suction of air sound from around the plenum. Almost as if there was an air leak but couldnt locate anything up.

Added to that got a parking ticket from UKPC. So got to find out what i need to do to tell them to stick it

Skillen
01-12-13, 03:42 PM
Mine has dropped oil and coolant and I think it's the oil cooler doing it as I see coolant drops from it (but no oil(dunno where that is going))
Check there?

petet16
01-12-13, 03:49 PM
The oil thing doesn't sound normal, I would expect the level to return to normal much quicker than 10 to 15 mins, does the water in the expansion tank look ok for colour, and free of any contamination.

Not sure about the parking ticket the law was as I understood it was that unless it was issued by the council or the the five-o you could ignore them.

Jay-ZS+
01-12-13, 04:04 PM
Yer coolants fine, normal pink colour. No mayo under oil cap. I wondered if the filter was clogged and not letting the oil return to the slump but surely then the oil pressure light would come on??!

BUCKYDEVIL
01-12-13, 05:10 PM
Not sure about the parking ticket the law was as I understood it was that unless it was issued by the council or the the five-o you could ignore them.

Yip exactly Right- best thing to do is ignore all contact made by them.

Jay-ZS+
01-12-13, 05:15 PM
Yip exactly Right- best thing to do is ignore all contact made by them.

Apparently now you shouldn't the advice changed this year. Depends what they send you to how you respond just reading up on it now.

talkingcars
01-12-13, 05:38 PM
Added to that got a parking ticket from UKPC. So got to find out what i need to do to tell them to stick it

Were you on the public highway?
Were you in a council car park?
Is it a fine or a charge?

You pay a fine, you ignore a charge.

daytona365
01-12-13, 06:01 PM
Its a long shot, but happens a lot to Fiestas, does the dipstick look long enough? Some Fords have the level marker as an insert on the metal and it forms a weak spot and it drops off, thus making the dipstick shorter...................

Jay-ZS+
01-12-13, 06:04 PM
Yer the dipstick is fine, got the min mark then some fins on the bottom.

Jay-ZS+
02-12-13, 10:12 AM
Ordered some oil and a filter from opie last night, cars only got to last me this final year at uni then I can break it for parts. As long as it lasts me 8 or so months alls good.

Jay-ZS+
03-12-13, 06:35 PM
So this mystery continues this morning before leaving for uni I checked the oil and the dip stick was bone dry, so chucked a couple of litres that had been kicking around in a cupboard for a few years. Drove to uni, engine was possibly the quietest its ever been! When I got there I check the level again and still bone dry. So after my lectures before driving home I checked again and wow there was loads in, well over the max mark! Drove home and checked once more and guess what....bone dry!

My road is on a very slight hill but its effect on the level would be negligible.

Am I right in believing its a baffled sump? Perhaps one of the baffles has collapsed stopping oil getting to the dipstick area??

Coolant level is a tad low but its been slowly getting that way for a while.

petet16
03-12-13, 06:56 PM
That's very odd for sure, I don't think the slope would make that much of a difference, our drive is on a slope which makes the level drop from the max to the min mark, it's not something random like the dipstick tube not being pushed fully in ?.

Jay-ZS+
03-12-13, 07:01 PM
That's very odd for sure, I don't think the slope would make that much of a difference, our drive is on a slope which makes the level drop from the max to the min mark, it's not something random like the dipstick tube not being pushed fully in ?.

Dont think so made sure it was pushed right in, besides after I'd added a few extra litres it was above the max mark by 1/2" maybe even more. I cant get my head round it at all. Weird thing is the light has never come on!

Looking further not sure the sump is baffled so that would eliminate that theory. Would remove it to check if it wasn't for the manifold getting in the way.

peterzs
03-12-13, 07:06 PM
Strange one Jay.

:rambo::rambo::rambo:

petet16
03-12-13, 07:18 PM
It's almost like something is randomly stopping oil getting to the area of the sump where the dipstick is, but I can't think what could be doing it.

Has the engine been apart in the past?.

Jay-ZS+
03-12-13, 07:21 PM
Yer, well the top end at least as had the cams fitting when the engine was replaced when I first got it. Must be 3 years ago now.

petet16
03-12-13, 07:48 PM
I can't see that being the cause then.

Jay-ZS+
03-12-13, 07:52 PM
I can't see that being the cause then.

Its so weird, I've be racking my brains all day and the only thing I could think is the filter is blocked, but that would bring the light on. Whatever the strange noise was on sunday not heard it since.

ZS
03-12-13, 09:23 PM
IIRC the sump is not baffled but does have some wire wool type stuff that acts as a filter, it sits in a recess in the sump itself...

Come to think of it that might be the 4 pot k series, not sure if its the same in the v6... could be worth checking though.

Also, what is condition of the oil? And the oil cooler?

Jay-ZS+
05-12-13, 11:02 PM
Gave the car an oil + filter change yesterday and now it seems sweet as a nut. Filter seemed fine but the oil needed changing anyway.