PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump has died!!

KirkJames
06-12-13, 10:38 PM
Had to call the AA out tonight. Went for a workout at the gym got back to the car and the car started then died like it was starved of fuel. Checked I actually had fuel then realised that there was no sound from the fuel pump.

Two very nice guys from the AA came out and confirmed that all power and everything else was fine so the conclusion was the fuel pump. I had heard it whining for a while but didn't realise it was that bad.

Anyone got any ideas how long the job will take at a garage considering the tank will have to be dropped first?

Mark S
06-12-13, 10:40 PM
less than an hour if you do it yourself, but you had best order two pin hangers as they will snap/shear when they try and undo the bolt.

KirkJames
06-12-13, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't feel confident doing that, unless someone nearby has done this and can show me ;)

carmadbaker
07-12-13, 06:05 AM
Its not a bad job atall mate, undo all the pipes on the passenger side of the tank (all push fits or clamps) undo the hangers and it all comes down, easy peasy :)

talkingcars
07-12-13, 08:09 AM
I had that in my mk1 through the roadworks on the M6 in Birmingham last spring, cruising along at the limit and she just cut out.

RAC dragged me out of the roadworks, then the car got recovered to Redhill Rescue in Kings Norton who replaced it for £168.

However on the early mk1 you can access the pump through a panel under the rear seat which makes the job a lot easier.

MG ZS STE
07-12-13, 09:51 AM
Maybe kirks is an early mk1?

KirkJames
07-12-13, 12:24 PM
You can't access through the panel. No panel there lol. I will look in the Haynes on how to drop the tank if it is that easy.
Thanks guys!

KirkJames
07-12-13, 12:36 PM
Anyone got a how 2 anywhere. Fecking hate Haynes manual.

Mark S
07-12-13, 12:45 PM
undo the bolts which will shear the threaded bar (hence I said replace) which hold the two straps, unclip hoses and drop.
10mm socket for the half dozen bolts that hold in the fuel pump and change.
you don't need to fully drop the tank to do it.
its easy with less fuel in the tank.

KirkJames
07-12-13, 04:09 PM
undo the bolts which will shear the threaded bar (hence I said replace) which hold the two straps, unclip hoses and drop.
10mm socket for the half dozen bolts that hold in the fuel pump and change.
you don't need to fully drop the tank to do it.
its easy with less fuel in the tank.

Hardly any fuel in there so that will be easier.
Is it advisable to put the car on axle stands? I think I will tackle this as it doesn't sound that bad. I have got the Haynes as well so that will help with showing me what to look for as well.

Mark S
07-12-13, 07:31 PM
I would certainly put stands under. Its straight forward enough, but you will break the bolts here http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-WFW10002,
a second pair of hands helps t get the tank back up, you may need to lever it up and down around the exhaust, but there is nothing complex.

KirkJames
07-12-13, 08:51 PM
Cheers buddy, how many of those do I need cos they're a fiver per bolt.

Mark S
07-12-13, 09:48 PM

red robbo
08-12-13, 06:15 PM
Had the same problem myself in July of this year. No priming noise, but power all the way up to the pump/fuel level multiplug. So bought a new pump (£45). Two sheared bolts later (!), plus separating the fuel lines etc, and my tank was on the floor, only to discover where the fuel pump wires enter the top of the tank, they had corroded (the green colour copper goes). That was my problem.
Fitted the new pump anyway, as I'd already bought it and had dropped the tank.
I couldn't see the wiring problem (nor could i have fixed it) 'til the tank had been removed.

KirkJames
08-12-13, 08:54 PM
I will drop the tank and have a look I think. Thanks guys, I will let you know how I get on.

Stev180
08-12-13, 09:14 PM
Hope you get your car sorted mate, you need to pay for the AA mechanical breakdown cover (it is worthwhile!) hope everything is well, In the new year we should meet up again and I can show you my ZS MK2 180 :)

KirkJames
09-12-13, 09:01 PM
I'll be too jealous mate lol, sounds good mate.

KirkJames
09-12-13, 09:02 PM
What does the mechanical breakdown cover?

Stev180
09-12-13, 09:41 PM
It covers most of things that will go wrong with a MGR lol

http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/breakdown-repair-cover.jsp

KirkJames
09-12-13, 10:11 PM
Yeah looks pretty good, may have to do that!