PDA

View Full Version : its finally all done tb zs or carbon plenum

tb steve
08-12-13, 03:03 PM
well it's all finished first thing is a big thank you too jim at track n road who set about doing all the bits that needed doing to sort it all out,new loom,breathers,mapping,more wiring,making up trays etc etc (cheers mate)

all in all very happy after 4 years this car has been off the road the only thing it failed on the mot was an alloy was missing (different size wheel on same axle) and the side light bulbs was not working but should have them done by tomorrow both bulbs blown and an alloy by wednesday (e-bay if no one replys on the wonted thread by 9pm)
insurance all sorted by sky and should be all tax'ed and mot'ed by thursday

nice and neat now

ZS Phil
08-12-13, 03:13 PM
Beautiful!
Really hope it was worth the wait.

stamford
08-12-13, 03:26 PM
I never thought this day would come! Well done for keeping it going and retaining the interest. I will look forward to seeing this one day.

petet16
08-12-13, 03:32 PM
As the guys have said, nice one for sticking at it, and hope it was worth the wait.

Mark S
08-12-13, 04:12 PM
what did it make after the final map?

tb steve
08-12-13, 04:23 PM
cheers all

worth the wait we will have to see i've only driven it back from the work shop to home
still its was better than the 1.2 auto micra and a tad quicker only tryed twice to but the zs in to drive twice on the way home :joker:

p.s ive got a graph as well will stick that up soon as well

tb steve
08-12-13, 04:32 PM
what did it make after the final map?

grimmy
08-12-13, 04:37 PM
Nice result it looks superb well done for sticking with it.

Drew
08-12-13, 04:54 PM
excellent, looks good, must sound amazing.

t/b? 48mm plastic K series? thought about swapping to a T series alloy 56mm.

Drew

talkingcars
08-12-13, 05:40 PM
Awesome - look forward to seeing this at some of the shows or meets next year.

Mark S
08-12-13, 06:24 PM

fly?

did it improve over the whp?

harland292
08-12-13, 07:03 PM
This the one George had??

Dan1971
08-12-13, 07:29 PM
Turbo ?

tb steve
08-12-13, 08:25 PM
This the one George had??

yes this is my car :)

tb steve
08-12-13, 08:26 PM
Turbo ?

no nasp

graph

Ritchy
08-12-13, 08:41 PM
Looks good, but the big question, if asked now would you go through it all again?

tb steve
08-12-13, 09:29 PM
Looks good, but the big question, if asked now would you go through it all again?

with a capital NNNNNOOOOO

if on the other hand could it done in less time alot less time may be but day to day driving will answer that, jim did say that it would work better if i had an extra 1000 revs but due to the way its been set up but then i need more money that is never going to happen
still have to sort out the power steering i think its a bit lazy and has stopped on me then back on ?? was fine on the motorway just did it the once on the drive

oh i did like the v6 vectra turbo he was working on thats going to be quick

Quadcam24
08-12-13, 09:31 PM
so glad you have got it back complete at last, just in time for christmas !

Dave MGT
08-12-13, 10:07 PM
Glad you have it back at last!
Look forward to the graph.
Bet it sounds epic!!!

Mark S
08-12-13, 10:28 PM
very impressive.

If you give up on the vx pas system, I have a merc a class pump that could work a treat, should be an easy change having seen your setup.

Maxfly
08-12-13, 11:36 PM
Great to see it finished and your happy with it:) Look forward to some running reports to se how it all fits in on the road. Hope you manage some good sound clips and drive bys with the beastie, as said it must sound amazing:D

harland292
09-12-13, 12:01 AM
yes this is my car :)

Jesus he's had that a while remember seeing that sat there for about. 8. Month whist mine was suppose to be getting done..

Which did eventually get done also..

DTA S80 ain't it?? With custom fuel rails? Or was that someone else's

Hope it came back in better knick than mine :) stripped mine back and started again to make it look presentable although he did a gd job of the loom

p_b82
10-12-13, 10:56 AM
Glad to hear that you finally have your car back and it is sorted :)

hope you now have many years of enjoyment out of it!

Jay-ZS+
10-12-13, 12:19 PM
Great to hear you have got it back all sorted, bet it sounds immense!

tb steve
16-12-13, 07:05 PM
well i did say the power steering was cutting out

now i have no fluid left at all so heavy to turn lol

so how long can i drive it with no fluid in it ( not far i bet ) and it's to dark to see plus im at work till 2200 oh such fun

petet16
16-12-13, 07:44 PM
How far do you need to go, the main issue, heavy steering apart is the pump running with no fluid.

tb steve
16-12-13, 08:14 PM
opps abit late on the reply about 20mins drive home

petet16
16-12-13, 08:25 PM
I'd go for it, I don't think that would cause any damage to the pump.

tb steve
16-12-13, 09:08 PM
cool cheers pete just have to find the leak now

Maxfly
16-12-13, 09:23 PM
I suppose the good thing is that you know what the problem is, as you say it is just finding the leak. I would hope upon a good poke around it would show itself fair quickly and may just be a split pipe or needing a clamp done up:)

Supercharged_Z
16-12-13, 09:57 PM
prob a high pressure hose if you have lost it all

tb steve
16-12-13, 10:26 PM
i have not had a look yet just wished it was done right the first time

tb steve
16-12-13, 10:27 PM
I suppose the good thing is that you know what the problem is, as you say it is just finding the leak. I would hope upon a good poke around it would show itself fair quickly and may just be a split pipe or needing a clamp done up:)

lets hope its nice and easy

Supercharged_Z
16-12-13, 11:06 PM
i have not had a look yet just wished it was done right the first time

I agree with that. just adds to your frustration. I had it with my supercharged car a few times.

tb steve
17-12-13, 06:23 PM
ok my bad there is loads of fluid in there looked like there was none

so it's the fuse or the pump ??
if its the fuse will have to go bigger again there was a 20amp in there but it was getting hot so jim stuck a 40amp in there but we are not sure if the pump is a 40amp one or not

ive got a mate bring in a multi meter tomorrow

petet16
17-12-13, 06:25 PM
You have electric pas ?.

talkingcars
17-12-13, 06:42 PM
Is the fluid up to the correct level?
How clean is it?
Does it bubble when the engine is running?

Where is this fuse?
If the correct fuse is in there and it keeps blowing you need to find the problem, just increasing the fuse will increase the risk of damage, possibly even a fire.

Mark S
17-12-13, 07:52 PM
20amp fuse is prob a bit weak for ehpas pumps, 40 or 50 would be a better choice.

talkingcars
17-12-13, 08:40 PM
but the standard ZS doesn't have EPAS.

petet16
17-12-13, 08:44 PM
Standard zs pas has no fuses, I'm confused. !

Ritchy
17-12-13, 08:58 PM
If there is confusion measure the resistance of the motor if possible, then divide 14 / the resistance, then add on 10amp to your figure and that should be about right for it.

Mark S
17-12-13, 09:30 PM
but the standard ZS doesn't have EPAS.

Standard zs pas has no fuses, I'm confused. !

its an elctro hydraulic pump, hence ehpas.

similar to astra mk4, merc w168 etc.

there is no room for pas when fitting the wsr tb.

petet16
17-12-13, 09:38 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, the op didn't mention it was a non standard set up.

tb steve
17-12-13, 10:33 PM
yes i have electric power steering

will get some better pic's for you all

tb steve
17-12-13, 10:41 PM
Is the fluid up to the correct level?
How clean is it? very clean only changed 2 weeks ago
Does it bubble when the engine is running? no

Where is this fuse? in the fuse box
If the correct fuse is in there and it keeps blowing you need to find the problem, just increasing the fuse will increase the risk of damage, possibly even a fire.
but we dont know the amp'age of the pump in the first place if it is a 40 amp pump i need a bigger fuse in there so it can handle it , its flat out all the time (the pump that is )

tb steve
17-12-13, 10:42 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, the op didn't mention it was a non standard set up.

sorry oppps :clown:

Supercharged_Z
17-12-13, 11:34 PM
guys remember this is a throttle bodied car, the air con pump is gone, now where the altenator sits. The PAS was lost too so this runs EPAS.

Alan.F
18-12-13, 05:05 AM
Really pleased you finally got it back m8, I take it you took it else where to get it finished?

Drew
18-12-13, 06:29 AM
the original pump is quite small, it would be seem feasible to fit it elsewhere for someone who hasn't seen the car first hand.

Drew

tb steve
18-12-13, 03:50 PM
Really pleased you finally got it back m8, I take it you took it else where to get it finished?

yes mate

track n road and a good job was done only taken him 2 weeks to do

and the epas pump has gone now we did check the fuse that was ok

buff-1
18-12-13, 07:27 PM
would you think about makin a kit what all have you done to your engine?

petet16
18-12-13, 07:32 PM
I'll let Steve answer for himself, I think I know what he'll say lol.

tb steve
19-12-13, 07:04 PM
well mmm no lol

ecu = £900
loom = £600
plenum or what ever you wont to call it = 1k plus

should i keep going

Mark S
19-12-13, 11:42 PM
on the up side, you have the power of a supercharged car without the worry of it going bang?

buff-1
20-12-13, 07:15 PM
still cheaper than a charged conversion tho :)

tb steve
20-01-14, 07:33 PM
oh well looks like she may have to be parked up for a bit longer or broken :(

lots of little bits will have to be re done to make her ship shape again

1 looks like the thermostat has gone the bottom pipe on the stat does not warm up could be an air lock but i dont think so,so to get at this you have to take off all the tb body off to get to it

2 make up new brackets for the alternator as the one on there has not been lined up right and is pulling the belt off the top pulley and has cut all the way threw the cam cover

3 new aux belt

4 power steering pump

5 oil leak from the cam cover just a little one but still needs doing and one other oil leak near the bottom of the dip stick

6 gator is leaking

7 rear pads

so im getting a car next week nothing special and i will have to think what to do next or how much it will cost in the long run
would be nice as a summer car but as its just cost me £1800 the last time and it still needs the bit's above doing but so much has been done already
what to do

Mark S
20-01-14, 07:47 PM
may have some alternator brackets, but only fit if you remove the stock oil cooler.

Quadcam24
20-01-14, 08:17 PM
struth that sucks, i thought you were finally up and running.

Hope you can sort it easily , it would be shame to fold now.

how does it drive , is it quick, do you enjoy it when its running right ?

Drew
20-01-14, 08:42 PM
thats not the worst list of jobs ive seen.

1, getting the manifolds off will be easy, few bolts here and there and the whole thing will be off.

2, probably the most difficult for you, id consider slotting mounting holes to get somewhere near before new brackets are made.

3, easy

4, easy

5, under 20 bolts + a few ht leads / coils. 2 hr tops.

6, general wear and tear

7, as above.

bit by bit, maybe 3 weekends to do yourself.

Drew

stamford
20-01-14, 08:51 PM
Don't give in, that list is nothing compared to some. Get a 'do stuff meet' organised and with many light hands and all that!

Mark S
20-01-14, 09:03 PM

1, getting the manifolds off will be easy, few bolts here and there and the whole thing will be off.

2, probably the most difficult for you, id consider slotting mounting holes to get somewhere near before new brackets are made.

Drew

the mani is bonded, not just bolted, it will be no easy task.

tb steve
20-01-14, 09:05 PM
may have some alternator brackets, but only fit if you remove the stock oil cooler.

cheers but they wont fit as i have a smaller alternator so it fits where the air con pump is

struth that sucks, i thought you were finally up and running.

Hope you can sort it easily , it would be shame to fold now.

how does it drive , is it quick, do you enjoy it when its running right ?

when it was fine yer its quick drove well, hard to get traction in the wet or damp just wonts to rev a bit lumpy at low revs car judders
will have to price it all up and see i need to pay off mum first lol plus with the new little one money is short

3, easy

4, easy

5, under 20 bolts + a few ht leads / coils. 2 hr tops.

6, general wear and tear

7, as above.

bit by bit, maybe 3 weekends to do yourself.

Drew

drew for someone like you may be but me hahaha little bits i can trust my self with but i know when im over my head

Mark S
20-01-14, 09:20 PM
cheers but they wont fit as i have a smaller alternator so it fits where the air con pump is

Ok, these were to relocate the std alternator to where the ac is assuming an aftermarket oil cooler is fitted instead of std water/oil cooler.

p_b82
21-01-14, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear that.

I would not sell or strip it if i were you, not after the suffering you have gone through already.
If you can't face more work on it right now, I would lay it up, but only if it is to put some pennies aside to get round to it when the weather is nicer, or it would just sit and not go anywhere.

Good luck though, doesn't sound like these issues are too major compared to what you have already managed to overcome!

Eddie
24-01-14, 03:53 PM
Sorry to hear this, I understand how you feel as I once had a project car that became something of a money pit, it's when you have limited use of the car and you're still insured and tax it tends to hurt a little more. If it was me, which it once was, maybe cut your losses and sell the engine to a kit car owner and break the shell, being a project car it's never going to net you what's been spent, you allowed it to become a quest rather than keeping it a project, I know as I've been there done it as well.
I know the die hards in here will have other views but when a project reaches a point of park it up and think how to raise the funds to fix all that's wrong compared to every day life expenses you need to be honest with yourself, if the car doesn't offer that certain something you get every time you drive then it's time to park up or sell up.
Maybe set a dead line for a decision of spring time then walk away and forget all about the car, when you come back to review it will be with a clear and open mind.

Really feel for you Steve

talkingcars
24-01-14, 07:26 PM
I don't think it's that drastic, it's a few bits that need sorting now.

tb steve
24-01-14, 07:33 PM
well ive got a derv coming next week so i can keep the zs on the drive and sore it off road get the tax back on it
on a plus side i phoned up G the other day and the oil leak could just be a 32p O ring that sit's at the bottom of the dip stick and it could be an air lock as he said he put a new thermostat in there so will get a new cap see if that helps
just have to pull the belt back on first and try to rid of the oil off the belt think that might help a bit lol

tb steve
24-01-14, 07:35 PM
Ok, these were to relocate the std alternator to where the ac is assuming an aftermarket oil cooler is fitted instead of std water/oil cooler.

as far as i know the o/e oil cooler is there still

tb steve
24-01-14, 07:40 PM
oh and cheers all for the honest comments

just think i (well almost) gave up

tb steve
13-04-14, 09:10 PM
hello all

a few months since i have been on here well nothing has been done on the car and to honest i cant see anything getting done on it for a year or so
the little one is taken up all of my spare time and money and now the missis has gone part time i need all the money i can get at the mo
so the car has to go needs must and all that
i would love to sell it in one piece but with the bits that need doing and im not going to let it go for less than 2.5k looks like it will have to be broken up
shame but lots of things have changed and the little one comes first now
so lots of bits up for grabs soon :)

Ritchy
13-04-14, 09:18 PM
Gutted:/

Maxfly
13-04-14, 09:21 PM
Can only echo Ritchy's sentiment tbh, I hope someone takes her whole and get the prowls ironed out. Best of luck bud:)

Mark S
13-04-14, 09:39 PM
can you pm me the current state of things pls steve, kinda interested in this whole.