PDA

View Full Version : My new motor

Jay-ZS+
15-12-13, 04:37 PM
So yesterday me and the wife went and picked up our/my new car a 320d Sport (shes not keen on driving it as its much bigger than her swift). Its not an MG and hasn't got the same character, but so far I'm well impressed with it totally different driving sensation.

Worked out that if I only do 5,000 miles a year its £100 a month cheaper to run thats taking into account insurance and tax which is only £30 a year!!Meant to be able to get 40+mpg of real driving which I think is very achievable as got 38 on the way to work this morning and I was shifting too. Its surprising quick but doesn't feel it. Looked down at the speedo on the way home thinking I was doing 40-45 and I was nearer 65!! Reckon I'm going to have to watch that carefully.

Not sure about the new front end at the moment got mixed feelings about it, but the interior is lovely....so many gadgets along with 3 different driving modes, Eco+, comfort, Sport and Sport +. Was quite surprised how much difference it made too. Thought it was just a selling feature but could definitely feel the change.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/WBA3D32050FK57911_01_DL_051113_1_zpse81a6ed0.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/WBA3D32050FK57911_06_DL_051113_6_zpsf3dc787c.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/WBA3D32050FK57911_02_DL_051113_2_zpsd7a132da.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/WBA3D32050FK57911_03_DL_051113_3_zpsf20f807d.jpg

talkingcars
15-12-13, 04:43 PM
Pleased for you, enjoy.

Jay-ZS+
15-12-13, 04:45 PM
Pleased for you, enjoy.

Thanks James, afraid to say I'll still be on so you lot don't get off that easy! lol

talkingcars
15-12-13, 04:49 PM
Thanks James, afraid to say I'll still be on so you lot don't get off that easy! lol

TBH I'm disappointed that you're not in a ZS anymore and do hope you stay around rather than disappear and then reappear once you get another ZS.

Jay-ZS+
15-12-13, 04:52 PM
TBH I'm disappointed that you're not in a ZS anymore and do hope you stay around rather than disappear and then reappear once you get another ZS.

This place is full of great people and its a really nice forum to be apart of regardless of what you drive :)

talkingcars
15-12-13, 05:10 PM
....so many gadgets along with 3 different driving modes, Eco+, comfort, Sport and Sport +. Was quite surprised how much difference it made too. Thought it was just a selling feature but could definitely feel the change.

That's four!
How does it achieve these different modes if it is a manual?

Dan1971
15-12-13, 05:18 PM
Very nice.

Had a good look at these before I bought the 318d for the Mrs. Just bit out of my price range to be honest.

The settings will adjust the handling, throttle response and power I guess.

Quick too .... Enjoy.

ian zs180
15-12-13, 05:18 PM
Nice car jay bet it does go well them diesels are quick and with a remap aswell go like the clappers

Jay-ZS+
15-12-13, 05:26 PM
That's four!
How does it achieve these different modes if it is a manual?

lol so it is, however Sport+ is just Sport with the traction control switched off.

The car has active suspension,alters steering along with different throttle maps and shift points. You can really feel the car stiffen up and become more responsive in sport mode. Oh also deactivates the automatic start stop system and possibly the regen braking. Not read up on the technical engineering behind it yet, believe that it varies the turbo spool some how but not certain atm.

Jay-ZS+
15-12-13, 05:31 PM
Very nice.

Had a good look at these before I bought the 318d for the Mrs. Just bit out of my price range to be honest.

The settings will adkust the handling, throttle response and power I guess.

Quick too .... Enjoy.

Cheers Dan, got it on a four year finance package does work out a fair amount after the 4 years but personally see it as an ongoing month expense and will just keep switching for newer models every 2-3 years.

Came with free servicing till 2017 and the remainder of the BMW warranty.

stamford
15-12-13, 05:56 PM
That's what I call a sensible purchase for the long term. It is surprising how nippy these new diesels are and how well equipped they are too. I'm sure you enjoy it.

Dan1971
15-12-13, 06:11 PM
Think they are around 184bhp and 60 in under 8 secs. Add to that the very good fuel economy and road tax and it blows most cars out of the water for the money.

Jay-ZS+
15-12-13, 06:19 PM
Yer meant to be 184bhp, 280lb/ft and 0-60 in 7.5sec with an average mpg of 62.8. Least thats what the technical data says.

peterzs
15-12-13, 06:46 PM
Very nice Jay.

Glad you are staying around.

Sounds a powerful beastie in Sports + mode. Bet it stays on there when you are on your own.

:beer2::beer2::beer2::beer2:

Dave MGT
15-12-13, 07:09 PM
Very nice mate!

Sensible and still fun to drive. You will be turning off the traction control in no time! :)

I now what you mean about the new from ends... It looks nice but the last ones looked soooo nice. I prefer the rear end on yours though.

Jay-ZS+
15-12-13, 07:39 PM
Very nice Jay.

Glad you are staying around.

Sounds a powerful beastie in Sports + mode. Bet it stays on there when you are on your own.

:beer2::beer2::beer2::beer2:

Oh without a doubt! :punk:

Very nice mate!

Sensible and still fun to drive. You will be turning off the traction control in no time! :)

I now what you mean about the new from ends... It looks nice but the last ones looked soooo nice. I prefer the rear end on yours though.

Cheers Dave, front end looks really nice when square on but when angled to the side it just looks slightly off on a saloon, kinda squashed. Imagine it would suit the Z4 more.

Jay-ZS+
30-12-13, 07:32 PM
So had the new motor for just over 2 weeks and so far loving it!

Drove down to visit the parents in Salisbury over christmas, took the M4 one way and doing a fairly steady 80mph most of the way achieved 54mpg in eco-mode. On the way back decided to go via A-roads through bath and got 53mpg whilst in comfort! So doing well on the old fuel. Even on a very sprinted drive to work still got 25mpg out of it!! Was getting 17-18mpg out of the zed with a very light foot!!! So quids in fuel wise.

Its a very smooth drive and very responsive on the throttle, even when off the boost it soon picks up.

Only issue I can access emails and contacts addresses fine but cant seem to stream music from my phone over bluetooth, which I should be able to but probably a setting issue.

peterzs
31-12-13, 10:07 AM
Good mpg, but its the smile on your face that I always go for.

Glad you are still enjoying it, have fun.

:whistle::whistle::whistle: