PDA

View Full Version : The mk2 is dead :(

Skillen
21-12-13, 07:08 PM
Really bad flooding around Cumbria + low ITG = hydrolocked engine.

Absolutely gutted.

Interior is also flooded as I was driving a road I didn't know to get to an Xmas do and the road dipped down whilst in the puddle.

Dunno what I'm gonna do.

Dan1971
21-12-13, 07:10 PM
Noooooo ........ !!!!!!

Mate gutted for you ......

Skillen
21-12-13, 07:18 PM
I got towed out and all electrics still work so instead of selling the mk1 it may and up as a donor for the mk2 with its carpets and sound deadening etc.
It hasn't got the seats just the sills and carpets :) (upside there lol)

Hopefully the fans and horn still work :/

I can't let it be scrapped. It's worth way too much in pieces.

petet16
21-12-13, 07:19 PM
Ah gutted mate :sad:

Ritchy
21-12-13, 07:20 PM
Tried remving pkugs and spinning it over?

Skillen
21-12-13, 07:23 PM
Tried remving pkugs and spinning it over?

I maybe will if I can get it home. It's still 20miles away at present.
There was a very quick thud and stopping of the engine so I just assumed hydro locked.

M17TT180
21-12-13, 07:25 PM
Unfortunate mate :(

petet16
21-12-13, 07:27 PM
You may have got lucky, I waterlogged the filter in a huge puddle, it just ran like a bag of **** afterwards, but after taking the plugs out to eject any water and drying out the filter it ran fine, there was no water in the engine in the end.

Dan1971
21-12-13, 07:29 PM
Fingers crossed mate .... :clover:

Skillen
21-12-13, 07:31 PM
I'm hoping so then.
I won't be able to do anything with it now till New Years though.
I'm so happy I have three cars! I have now decided that I will never have less than two cars.

Maxfly
21-12-13, 07:39 PM
Totally gutting mate, here's hoping its good news when you get a chance to check it over!

peterzs
21-12-13, 07:42 PM
Hard luck, hope its not too bad.

Might be worth at a minimum, checking the air filter is not waterlogged and getting the plugs out and spinning over.

If there is any water in there, sooner its out of the system the better.

Keep everything crossed.

Skillen
21-12-13, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys.
I probably should do that actually you're right.
Won't do it any good sat in there!

Ritchy
21-12-13, 08:32 PM
Hydrolocking doesnt automatically mean its a write off, yes it may have water in but that doesnt mean it that the valves or pistons/rods are wrecked, depends on engine speed ect

stamford
21-12-13, 08:57 PM
Sorry to hear this but do wait until fully checked before assuming the engine is scrap. Well worth putting right.

Skillen
21-12-13, 09:09 PM
Hydrolocking doesnt automatically mean its a write off, yes it may have water in but that doesnt mean it that the valves or pistons/rods are wrecked, depends on engine speed ect
Fair point thought it did tbh.
Wasn't too fast, engine speed was probably about 2-3k revs really.
Sorry to hear this but do wait until fully checked before assuming the engine is scrap. Well worth putting right.
Oh it definitely is, I won't destroy it. I repaired it following the front end bumper crack and will again.

Malteser
22-12-13, 06:16 AM
In September I sucked up some water in my Isuzu engined Rover and it wouldnt turn over at all. I took out the injectors and turned her over and was amazed at all the water that came out! After that she ran fine but smoked until the engine was warm because one of the connecting rods bent a bit but was still usable if needed until I fixed it.

I was already looking at new engines for the car when a small fix like that lessened the harm. Check that first and for the love of God, DONT TRY TO PUSH START IN GEAR!!! That will surely bend more things and do more damage!

tcb 180
22-12-13, 10:17 AM
As above but do it asap as rust in liners will really spoil it for you as it did for us on two scooby engines.

andys1981
22-12-13, 12:38 PM
doesnt sound good callum,i would get in there and remove filter plugs etc,hope it isnt as bad,fingers crossed you can get it sorted

Skillen
22-12-13, 01:04 PM
Still at work today so doesn't look likely ill get it home till tonight if not tomorrow. :/
Hope she's alright, not sure what else can go wrong if you're sat in a flood lol!

Ritchy
22-12-13, 01:34 PM
Usually electrical connectors, i'd pull the seats and carpet out, if its running i'd take them to a decent valet shop and get them to vax and clean them out

p_b82
22-12-13, 01:53 PM
Sorry to hear of the damage.... it is my big fear driving a derv - which is why i still have my air intake really high up and in cone format rather than enclosed... far to scared of getting water in the engine after everything I have done and been through!

I have been very gad I have had sole use of my second car these past 6months as the ZS ended up being laid up due to other commitments...

Skillen
22-12-13, 01:54 PM
Usually electrical connectors, i'd pull the seats and carpet out, if its running i'd take them to a decent valet shop and get them to vax and clean them out

Luckily the seats aren't wet just the footwells. My mum has access to a carpet cleaner so may get that on the carpet.

While that is out though ill be sticking some sound deadening on the floor pan and seeing where I can add foam insulation to make the cabin less noisey. Driving my dads '11 focus today and it is silent :/

James Raby
22-12-13, 02:09 PM
It doesn't matter if you work on it at midnight, leaving water in an engine aint clever eh!

get over to it, take the plugs out and turn it over, simple really

good luck

Skillen
23-12-13, 08:21 PM
After working last night for 45 minutes only to find my spark plug Socket did not fit And buying a new one today, i spent two hours in the rain to get the plugs out.

I got absolutely soaked fighting with the rear bank coil packs! The plugs were easy once those were out!

The good news is it cranks on the starter!

It fired a load of water out of the rear bank drivers side cylinder only I think.
May have been some in the middle cylinder.

If I have ruled out the front three and the rear passengers side cylinder can I stick those plugs and coils back in to give a bit extra oomph to expel more water?

I'm happy it has rotated tbh!
But I guess I won't know if any other damage has been done till I get the plugs back on to fire it up.

Happier chap tonight though!

petet16
23-12-13, 08:27 PM
Have you got a compression tester, if it cranks without making any horrible noises that's a good start.

Skillen
23-12-13, 08:30 PM
No I haven't and tbh don't know how to use one would I need all the plugs in apart from the one I'm testing? Also will it fit down the rear bank?
It cranked first turn of the key, I probably should have popped the injector fuse out as it stunk of petrol!

petet16
23-12-13, 08:51 PM
No, the test is done with all plugs out, and the throttle fully open.

Getting to the rear plugs might be a challenge.

Enright
23-12-13, 09:03 PM
You simply screw it in in place of each plug in turn, and crank the engine for about 5-10 seconds. Probably best to do it without any plugs in.
Your Haynes manual should tell you what the compression ought to be, but the main thing is as long as all the readings are healthy and reasonably close, then that's fine. Good idea to remove the fuel injection fuse as you say though.

Ritchy
26-12-13, 04:19 PM
I wouldnt waste money on the tester, just stick the plugs back in now and see if it'll start, if its running poor should maybe look at it to confirm

Skillen
29-12-13, 06:29 PM
Stuck the plugs and coils back in and it won't fire up :/
It seems like its trying to fire as it's cranking.every so often ill get a little bit if what seems like a spark then nothing.

Then when I've got the key out of the ignition the fans start spinning as fast as I've ever heard them.
Any suggestions?

talkingcars
29-12-13, 06:33 PM
Flat battery.

Get a charged battery on there and jump it with something else to give a real boost.

big_wasa
29-12-13, 06:42 PM
Mgr's are really funny for spinning the fans flat out if the battery is flat. Any one know why they do that ?

welshone
29-12-13, 06:51 PM
This happened to me a few times and also the fan continued to run after turning engine off. New battery sorted the two problems.

Skillen
29-12-13, 06:53 PM
Simple as that then!
I'll get that sorted out I'll order that new one now.

Never noticed the flat battery fan spinning before ill check the other one as that's fully flat and bit even cranking.

petet16
29-12-13, 06:54 PM
The ecu is programmed to trip the fans on to protect the engine, it is the same with the mems ecu's.

Skillen
29-12-13, 06:55 PM
The ecu is programmed to trip the fans on to protect the engine, it is the same with the mems ecu's.

How does that work with a flat battery?
What's it protecting?

petet16
29-12-13, 07:05 PM
It works because the battery isn't flat as in 0 volts, anything much under 12v will not turn the engine over but has more than enough juice left to whizz the fans round.

Skillen
29-12-13, 07:12 PM
Well it spinning the engine no problem at the minute as well lol.
Ill sort the battery out in a sec

petet16
29-12-13, 07:19 PM
Possibly you have other issues then, does it sound normal when you turn it over, is the oil light going out on the starter, and are you sure the coil packs are back on the right plugs.

Alan.F
29-12-13, 07:40 PM
ZT's headlights flash when you have a flat battery

Skillen
29-12-13, 07:43 PM
Possibly you have other issues then, does it sound normal when you turn it over, is the oil light going out on the starter, and are you sure the coil packs are back on the right plugs.

The oil light goes out yes, noticed it the other say but in all honesty i didnt look today as i just leant in to crank/attempt to start it.
it sounds normal but no sparking tbh. Pretty much like a flat battery as it has the occasional what sounds like a spark but then nothing else happens then it sometimes spins the fans and sometimes doesn't.

Pretty sure the coils are correct as the wires won't reach anywhere else with them but I'll check again tomorrow when my handheld lamp is charged up properly again.

Skillen
29-12-13, 07:44 PM
ZT's headlights flash when you have a flat battery

Haha sounds helpful :/

petet16
29-12-13, 08:00 PM
A couple of other things you could try, use a spare jump lead from the block to a decent earth on the body, just to rule out any random earthing problem.

And if you have a code reader it would be worth seeing if any codes are showing.

Skillen
29-12-13, 08:21 PM
A couple of other things you could try, use a spare jump lead from the block to a decent earth on the body, just to rule out any random earthing problem.

And if you have a code reader it would be worth seeing if any codes are showing.

I'll give them both a check tomorrow, see if any pops up.

Jason04r
29-12-13, 08:39 PM
Any chance it sounds like mine ? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA9cOr8H88M

Skillen
29-12-13, 08:45 PM
sorry jason it doesn't even sound like that just sounds like an engine spinning on the starter lol.
yours seems to have ignition sounds but then no firing.

Jason04r
29-12-13, 09:12 PM
Can you get someone to crank the engine while holding the spark plug ( ground it first )

peterzs
30-12-13, 09:44 AM
Cant you get 20,000 volts on the ignition side, dont think I'd get anywhere near a disconnected lead!!!!

Jason04r
30-12-13, 10:01 AM
Did it with my dad , he kindly asked me to hold it and said if it shocks the living daylights out of you then let go ... no Shhh sherlock

You can use a jump lead from the spark plug to the negative terminal if you dont fancy holding it.

peterzs
30-12-13, 10:31 AM
and you are still here, to tell the tale!!!!

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Jason04r
30-12-13, 12:03 PM
and you are still here, to tell the tale!!!!

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Haha

Skillen
30-12-13, 01:10 PM
I'll just order some new plugs with the battery, it is due them anyway I think.
The ignition coils are pretty expensive too! And tbh would rather upgrade them for that price haha!

Supercharged_Z
30-12-13, 01:46 PM
I remember when I bought a old audi quattro 5 cylinder, i was showing a friend the engine bay and noticed a plug loose it was the coil lead, i dont remember exactly what i did but i do remember it coming lose in my hand boy that gave me some shocks lol

tb steve
30-12-13, 02:37 PM
have you checked the fuel re-set thing

Skillen
30-12-13, 04:47 PM

No I haven't but didn't think that'd be a problem as it smelled of petrol when cranking without the spark plugs in.

Also it seems like it isn't sparking rather than sparking and not firing. It's not got the noise of a normal crank and now fuel sound.

Skillen
30-12-13, 04:48 PM

No I haven't but didn't think that'd be a problem as it smelled of petrol when cranking without the spark plugs in.

Also it seems like it isn't sparking rather than sparking and not firing. It's not got the noise of a normal crank and no fuel sound.

maxtherotti
30-12-13, 06:15 PM
I remember when I bought a old audi quattro 5 cylinder, i was showing a friend the engine bay and noticed a plug loose it was the coil lead, i dont remember exactly what i did but i do remember it coming lose in my hand boy that gave me some shocks lol

epic aint they
we used to wire old coil units up to each others tool boxes in the garage
was a right git when you grabbed a spanner out and some bum hole lit you up
ahh those were the days lol

Rob

Ritchy
31-12-13, 07:55 AM
I think unless the plug electrodes are bent then may be looking at compression issues if it isn't starting now. Unless the crank sensor is wet which I doubt.

Skillen
04-01-14, 08:09 PM
IIITTTTTTT LLLLIIIIIIVVVVVVVEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!

Muahahahaahhaha!

Put a new Bosch S5 onto it took a bit of cranking and initially it didn't fire on all cylinders but it sounds like it's running sweet now.

Gonna take it for a spin to see if it pulls alright.

The inside stinks though and it definitely gonna have to be stripped :/

I'm so happy!

talkingcars
04-01-14, 08:13 PM
Horah

Ritchy
04-01-14, 08:15 PM
Thats brilliant chuffed for you!

petet16
04-01-14, 08:28 PM
WHOOP :cool2:

Skillen
04-01-14, 08:35 PM
Need to sort the carpet though might see if anyone has a mk1 carpet going!

peterzs
04-01-14, 08:40 PM
Pleased its up and running.

Hope you can sort the carpet.

:):):)

Dan1971
04-01-14, 08:43 PM
Good news !!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carpet-Rover-45-MG-ZS-MGZS-400-414-416-420-Honda-Civic-mb6-/141150157785?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AMG+ZS&hash=item20dd347bd9

talkingcars
04-01-14, 09:02 PM
I don't know at what point they deleted the rear heater vent but that carpet is post that so may be of the cheaper version. If the seller is who I think it is they will be honest if you ask.

Skillen
04-01-14, 09:05 PM
Thanks dan.

Is it possible to put the old rear heaters in? I liked then in my R211 :)

Who's the seller James? Anyone on here or .org?

petet16
04-01-14, 09:18 PM
The seller will be fine, his old man frequents .org and Rovertech.

talkingcars
04-01-14, 09:24 PM
Thanks dan.

Is it possible to put the old rear heaters in? I liked then in my R211 :)

Who's the seller James? Anyone on here or .org?

You need to take the heater box out get the vents and obviously that's a dash out job but otherwise it's easy.

I think the seller is a lad called martin and the son of MGJohn.

Skillen
04-01-14, 09:44 PM
You need to take the heater box out get the vents and obviously that's a dash out job but otherwise it's easy.

I think the seller is a lad called martin and the son of MGJohn.

Might not bother with those then as they might not fit in with the ATC but its something I can look at if I take the dash out.

Ahh yes I've heard of him. I messaged him tonight so Ill hopefully hear back by tomorrow.

Skillen
04-01-14, 10:09 PM
Quick reply from him.
Unfortunately from a facelift.
I'll see if I can find a mk1 one.

Ritchy
04-01-14, 11:17 PM
A good clean mk2 carpet should be fine:)

Maxfly
04-01-14, 11:33 PM
Excellent news, had though about fitting the rear vents myself too. Think it would be nice wee addition.
Though as Ritchy says a MK2 carpet would be fine unless you after the better quality the MK1 apparently has? :)

talkingcars
05-01-14, 07:35 AM
The early rear vents will fit with the ATC as the shape of the heater box is unchanged.

The mk1 carpet is defiantly better than the mk2, it is thicker and the finish is more like carpet and less like a cheap plastic scouring pad.

Apart from the rear vent problem all carpets are interchangeable between mk1 and mk2, saloon and hatch. I don't think the 400/civic carpet will fit as the seat mounts and therefore the floor pan are different.

stamford
05-01-14, 08:34 AM
Good to hear it's now running.

andys1981
05-01-14, 12:59 PM
its good to hear,that its running again,bet your very happy