PDA

View Full Version : Why did you buy a ZS?

ZSONE80
31-12-13, 07:29 PM
Just interested what the reason was to purchase your zs? Was it because they are cheap and chearfull and good value for money? Or do you just love the MG ZS?

stamford
31-12-13, 07:43 PM
Cheap and cheerful was certainly not a reason some 9 years ago! I had always liked them when I first saw them advertised and then after seeing the BTCC versions. Mine cost me over £7k so hardly a cheap purchase and still have it today, great car. :D

petet16
31-12-13, 07:46 PM
Cheap and cheerful didn't come into it, I bought mine for 9k with delivery mileage, it had been auctioned off by the liquidators of MGR.

grimmy
31-12-13, 07:51 PM
I have pretty much only owned mgr cars and had a bubble shaped 416 when the zs was introduced and a soon as I saw trophy blue I was hooked.bought a trophy blue mk1 120 and moved on to the xpg mk2 when the company collapsed it had 3000 miles on it and was six months old for 9000 quid ,best bargain I have ever had.

Jason04r
31-12-13, 08:31 PM
My parents owned a rover 400 turbo diesel and my dad a 220 coupe ,620ti and my brother had a rover 25 so always grew up with rovers being somewhere in the family. Same as Stamford , btcc really got me into buying a ZS ... Remember about 8/9 years ago that I'd own one someday.

sheldore
31-12-13, 08:36 PM
On my third MG two ZS180's and a ZR104. Fell in love over 8 yrs ago with a MK2 trophy edition ZR had it a year needed a bigger engine, so bought a MK1 ZS180 saloon, had that a yr, sold it due to doing very high miles weekly, bought A Vectra which I still have but never liked it that much, no heart. Then last year got chance on a Mint MK1 ZS180 hatch with 50k on the clock on a 52 plate for a very good price.

The ZS is a drivers car, no fancy features, just a big smile.

big_wasa
31-12-13, 08:37 PM
My mate had a 120 and uttered the words they do one with a v6...............

daytona365
31-12-13, 09:21 PM
I saw a TY 180 outside a Rover garage, when I was test driving a Renault Laguna. Thought it looked gorgeous, so got out and had a look. It was running and the new owner was just driving it away from garage. The V6 sounded mmmmmmm. Decided there and then I wanted one..................they are infectious. Just wish it hadnt of taken 8 years to buy one.

ZSONE80
31-12-13, 09:47 PM
Must admit that i didnt own a zs until a few years back. My first MG was a montego turbo petrol back in 91 one of the last 7 made in BRG, had to get something a bit cheaper to run after that so traded it for a new rover 214sei which i kept for 4 years and then went down the path of new bmw's merc's and even a range rover sport! Then one day i saw a monogram ZTT V6 and i was back! My wife thought i was crazy but what a car, had a few more zt's and then the ZS 180 never looked back got to many now : ) wish i had bought a new one back in 2005.

Squeaks
31-12-13, 10:58 PM
Looked at the Mk2 and thought yes I like that a lot, the spoiler drew me in, having owned MG's it seemed like a logical step to take so bought the mk2 180 and the noise of the v6 was intoxicating.

adam
31-12-13, 11:30 PM
Needed a new car that was fairly sensible (4 door and big boot for family), always liked the mk2 zs, know the k series inside out and it was cheap. Plus gives me something to tinker with which keeps me out of the wife's hair.

p_b82
01-01-14, 01:40 AM
bought mine for 11k 9 months old, 10 years ago in april....

the only reason was it was better to drive than a leon, it was better on insurance and fuel than a celica, and i loved the looks.....

pity it never went as well as it looked in factory setup, but then a derv beating the flagship v6 was never going to be allowed to happen at the time.... here is hoping i crack tat 200barrier in 2014 though :D

Alan.F
01-01-14, 02:55 AM
Pretty much only owned MGR cars since 95 (only people that would give me finance lol) then in 2004 i went to upgrade to a top spec 45, and sat in the showroom was a starlight silver ZS120 Pre Reg with only 38 miles on it, for £7995 and the rest is history as they say had MG's ever since, 1 x120 2x180 and a ZT 1.8t with a 75 tourer thrown in as a stop gap lol.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/FatGit/My%20Cars/IMG_1480copy.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/FatGit/My%20180/IMG_0025.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/FatGit/My%20Tourer/My%20Tourer%202/IMG_6712.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/FatGit/Orange%20Grove%20180/IMG_8141.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/FatGit/MG%20ZT/20130712_121425.jpg

Smokey
01-01-14, 03:04 AM
I was looking for good value and decent power to upgrade from a 1.2 Punto. I paid over £7k on my first mk2 180 and was hooked. I still haven't found a car that handles as well that's of similar age/value. I still love my fifth one as much as my first!

ZSbhoy_1724
01-01-14, 03:26 AM
My parents owned 2 400's a 200 and a 25 so there was always a bit of brand loyalty in the family then in 2010 my mother wrote off our Freelander. We bought the ZS as a cheap run about and I fell in love with it then in June of this year my parents bought a new car and I was looking for my first car so I gave them 2,000 for ZS and the rest is history

maxtherotti
01-01-14, 06:47 AM
same as a lot of folks on here it wasn't because it was cheap !!
I got mine the first time around in 2003 and paid £6250 for it (bearing in mind at the time I worked for a mg dealer and it was on the pitch for £10950)
kept it for more than 2 years (I normally change my cars every 6 months maybe less) sold it to a mate who badgered me for it for ages !!
she kept it 6 years then I got it back :wub:
I initially got one as I fell in love with driving them in the garage and had to be a TB saloon(the original and best look at all the initial release pics for them!!)
had many rovers before and many mg,s since but this one is a keeper now

MG mad
01-01-14, 07:46 AM
I've wanted one since I was did my student engineer internship at MGR not long before the close and I got to drive a couple, not driven any other FWD that handles so well. But there aren't many in NZ and the last one I was in a position to buy wasn't that tidy and the seller was being unrealistic.

So when we came to Germany it was time to buy one.

Dan1971
01-01-14, 08:31 AM
Got my Mk2 when I had a TF and the wife's MPV broke. With 2 kids, a 2 seater was plain silly as a 2nd car. Passed a Peugeot dealer who had a Mk2 on the front. Looked awesome and they offered stupid money for the TF in px.

Having bought it I found this forum.

Something like this keeps the interest going in the car instead of it just being a car - if you follow me. It turns into a real interest/hobby, rather than a hunk of metal to go from A to B that you take to the garage when something doesn't work.

I've had a few, and a few other marques as everyone knows, but the value of them just keeps me coming back. I now geninely believe I have one of the best.

It's not the fastest - it's not the cheapest to run - but the initial outlay was very cheap and there's nothing that compares for the money. That's true for me having spent very little on it - and for those that spent more many years ago. Pound for pound - one of the best.

:hooray:

talkingcars
01-01-14, 10:16 AM
We were looking for a family car as I'd just got rid of the Range Rover that had replaced the Espace and the Monty estate 7 seater before that.

I was actually interested in a scubby but Mrs TC saw this yellow MG on Autotrader in a garage about 20 miles away, I was driving in that area that day so drove past, liked the look, arranged a test drive for the same evening and the rest is history - mine was cheap, only £3500 for a 6 year old car with 51k and a full belts service.

peterzs
01-01-14, 11:03 AM
I grew up with MG Midgets and then MGB GT's.

When the tin worm got into my last B, started looking around for another MG to replace it. Looking through Ebay saw this Yellow ZS, Derv with a massive spoiler. Deposit paid and a train trip up to London.

Never even seen a ZS before, but for £4250 for a 3 1/2, year old car thought it was a bargain.

First time I saw it, the garage guy drove up to the tube station and I thought, Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Loved it from the first drive, I knew so little about the ZS derv, I thought I was getting a BMW derv engine, but the old L series, is a solid old lump.

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

markyp
01-01-14, 12:19 PM
I have had two zr's mk1 105+ and a mk2 trophy se , so fancied an upgrafe so got me a mk2 zs 120+ very nice car loads of extra's like heated seats, climate control, sunroof and parking sensors so not bad spec , and they look great with the body kit and 11 spoke wheels .

ian zs180
01-01-14, 01:06 PM
I got my mk2 back in 2007. It had 27k on the clock paid £8500 for it and I still love it now . Its the only mgr car I,ve owned as ive always had fords besides two Vauxhalls but enough said about them lol . I always liked the mk2 zr and I was thinking of getting one of them till a stopped at the services on my way to ford fair and seen a brand new mk2 180 in xpg it was the first time id seen a mk2 and it just blew me away it looked amazing the rest was history . I finaly got one a couple of years later and like I said I,m still loving the zs to this day.

talkingcars
01-01-14, 06:51 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum markyp.

tcb 180
01-01-14, 07:13 PM
I was a Cavalier fan but when the first Vectra's came out I did not like them plus they had loads of teething problems. Was walking through hospital car park when I first heard that v6 gossamer sound and wondered what this car was. From start loved the look whole zed range.

Was looking at boring old metalic silver Fords on forecourt then strolled over to MG dealers. I said I was not a boy racer but liked a meaty car then he showed me the xpg 180 that I loved from first glance. Went for test drive that evening on trade plates and made myself afford the car basically and loved every minute of ownership for the ten years I had her.

dida4g
02-01-14, 06:43 AM
I came to Rovers through Copart in 08'.
I needed a bigger and diesel car so I landed on a p.reg R400, moved to a w.reg 2 yrs later then to the ZS. Only had ZS engine issue due to tensioner not being changed by previous owner garage.

Dave
02-01-14, 04:14 PM
I got my ZS derv, after my R25 derv basically went to scrapyard heaven.

Needed/wanted a bigger car, as my daughter is all grown up, and is tightly packed in the back seat of the R25!!

Looked around on ebay, came across my one, and the yellow attracted me straight away!!!

Was at a good price, and the car looked great, and i knew i would be adding my personal touch to it as well.

Overall i am happy with the car, just not got the same love for it as i did initially when i first got it.

Cheers
Dave

mattie007
02-01-14, 06:34 PM
Needed something to replace my Rover 211 with and after seeing the original X20 images and then the BTCC cars I always wanted one.
I paid £3750 in 2006 for a 02 plate 120 with 25k miles. 7 and half years later I still have it with 99k on the clock. The last few years I have been looking at other cars (even had a deposit on a ZT before it was discovered the car was a write off!) but nothing comes close for driving pleasure. I am tempted by a 6 as they do drive well, but I would miss the ZS so much!

Enright
03-01-14, 12:01 PM
I'd had a ZR105, then a Cat C ZR100 TD, which I'd just got how I wanted it when it got majorly hit and comprehensively killed. I pressed another 3 door ZR TD into service to replace it, but this (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?p=237871#post237871) Mk2 ZS TD came up and it looked as though with a bit of work it could turn out to be a much nicer car.
So I'm afraid I'm going to have to admit buying one because it was cheap - too cheap to resist.
However since then I've put a lot of time, effort and money into it, and it's rewarded me by being one of the most frugal, reliable, yet well equipped and entertaining cars I've ever owned.

andys1981
03-01-14, 06:12 PM
had a vectra 2.2 sri,swapped it for my first zs 4 years ago,had site stickers on it,so logged on here,turned out it was one of the mods old cars (craigs),we got in touch,was easily my favourite car,but in 4 years ive had 3 180s,and a zr 105,they have had there problems but worth it,very underrated cars

mrmick
03-01-14, 07:19 PM
Well after owning no end of rovers my fare share of zs and zrs i broght and sold the dark fantasy one i seen a sunspot yellow one and fell in love with it that was 3 years ago .love it that much we brought another one a year ago also sunspot yellow for my wife both mk2 180s take a lot for me to part with these

Maxfly
03-01-14, 08:41 PM
The zed range was the first cars I had seen since I started driving that I wanted and in the end I bought a ZR120 new from the dealer on a 52 reg, I had that 5yrs and had loved the MK2 ZS and though a V6 would be brilliant.....along with devils sitting on my shoulder telling to get one (Craig again lol). I ended up with a pearl black 180 and via a Goodwood green one I am now on my third-an XPG one:) love them, even more so after a couple of jaunts from Inverness to Fort William the past few days, the A82 has ZS written all over it hehe

splinter
04-01-14, 05:30 PM
Always liked look of the hatch but out of my range at the time.
Fast forward a few years, the Saab workhorse was about knackered, sold the mini tracktoy for really silly money and bought the 120.
Superbly balanced, great fun to drive road and track. Smile per mile, priceless