PDA

View Full Version : Code reader and adding features?

Greatmg!
10-01-14, 08:37 AM
Morning!

I am looking for a code reader for my ZS and have been pointed in the direction of this from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM-327-OBDII-OBD2-USB-2013-Car-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-PC-Scanner-Laptop-1-4B/281181532789?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D19803%26meid%3D4014765989197571556%26pid%3D 100011%26prg%3D8916%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D1707 10351625%26

Thoughts?

Also, my daily driver is a Golf and I have a system called VCDS for that, which allows me to recode the ECU and add features such as comfort indicating etc.

Does the ZS have 2 ECUs and is it possible to change the coding to add new features?

Paul.

peterzs
10-01-14, 09:29 AM
Looks a good bit of kit, but all this electronic stuff is all magic to me, someone will come along that knows.

;););)

Enright
10-01-14, 01:08 PM
Depends on what model ZS you have to an extent. I've got one of those readers and a Mk2 TD. It has 2 engine management lights and the code reader can't do anything about one of them if it gets lit.
On the other, it works fine. If I remember correctly the petrol models were fully OBDII compliant.

Greatmg!
10-01-14, 01:57 PM
Ok, I have a ZS180, which is OBDII compliant, I guess a better question would have been:

'What software do I need to recode the BCU for adding new or amending existing features?'

Am I correct in assuming the ECU and BCU are totally separate and that the BCU controls everything to do with electrical gizmos while the ECU just controls the engine and ABS?

Paul.

petet16
10-01-14, 02:06 PM
Only T4 can change/add features in the bcu.

ZS
10-01-14, 02:07 PM
You will need Rovercon software IIRC and if its even still around...

I have the bluetooth version of that ODBII reader and it will only do the basics with your 180.

Enright
10-01-14, 02:08 PM
Ah right. The OBDII diagnostic tool won't help at all for that - it's simply used for reading and resetting error codes. There are some basic monitoring functions too, but no re-programming is possible.

I think you need an MG/Rover T4 tool and interface to do reprogramming - and I believe the tool is the size of a small cabinet (although a modern smartphone is probably more powerful)!

On Mk2s the BCU/BSI lives behind the climate control panel, and is simply a central interface into which all the other systems (e.g. central locking, windows and ECU) plug via the wiring loom.

ZRed
10-01-14, 03:18 PM
BCU is a thing of voodoo. Not all features can be unlocked. For example, a non electric window BCU cannot be reprogrammed by any aftermarket diagnostic machine - including T4 - to allow electric windows to be fitted.

Greatmg!
10-01-14, 05:18 PM
I think I'm starting to get the message that the MG isn't quite as user friendly as my other car!

Ok, I'll look at getting the diagnostics cable from ebay and leave it there for now.

If I ever want to 'upgrade' with things like heated seats etc, I'll ask about and see what needs to be done on a case by case basis.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul.

petet16
10-01-14, 05:40 PM
Heated seats are easy, just plug 'em in and add the switches and relays.

talkingcars
10-01-14, 05:41 PM
BCU is a thing of voodoo. Not all features can be unlocked. For example, a non electric window BCU cannot be reprogrammed by any aftermarket diagnostic machine - including T4 - to allow electric windows to be fitted.

I thought only the drivers window went through the BCU as it has the 1 shot facility.

talkingcars
10-01-14, 05:58 PM
snip.......Also, my daily driver is a Golf and I have a system called VCDS for that, which allows me to recode the ECU and add features such as comfort indicating etc.

Does the ZS have 2 ECUs and is it possible to change the coding to add new features?

Paul.

The mk1 ZS is very simple, it has an engine ECU, ABS ECU, SRS ECU and an alarm ECU which is basically the same design as used on the early 90's Rovers.

The Mk2 replaced the Alarm ECU with a more complicated BCU which has all the alarm related functions, the drivers window, front fogs, heated rear window. All these are fitted to the 180 as standard so no problem, on models with no front fogs these can be turned on with a compatible machine -
the main one is known as T4 but there are earlier versions, none are cheap to buy for personal use, many Land Rover garages have them if you can't find an equipped MG/Rover garage.

There is an alternative from Black Box Solutions who provide a number of alternatives, you can build a package that covers your model of MGR and your engine - https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/

One feature that can be changed with access to the BCU is the speed locking.

The engine ECU can be remapped, Matt Reidy in Yovil is the man for this.

All petrol ZS's are OBD2 compliant (only mk2 for the diesel from 2004). This means you can check engine management warning codes and with a suitable reader access the data from the engine sensors, I don't think any of the other control units can be accessed with an OBD2 scanner.

talkingcars
10-01-14, 06:02 PM
almost forgot - other features such as heated seats are not controlled through the BCU so are plug and play.

Greatmg!
10-01-14, 06:42 PM
Hello 'talkingcars'!

Thanks, that is a great post and extremely useful!

Paul.

ZS
13-01-14, 07:48 AM
I think I'm starting to get the message that the MG isn't quite as user friendly as my other car!

You should try Volvo!!

My 1999 1.9D S40 is not ODBII compliant, does not work with the Volvo Vadis or DiCE systems and so far noone can tell me how to read the ECU and clear a few faults!! (one of which is an MOT failure... :( and even the MOT garage cannot clear it)

Maxfly
13-01-14, 08:43 AM
As yours is a 180, I can't think of anything obvious that would need activating. Everything should be plug and play....
Rear electric windows
Reversing sensors
TM clock even though it has no use other than as a clock now
Heated seats provided you fit the relays etc as previously said

Can't think of what else you can fit that isn't standard?!?

Captain Slow
23-01-14, 04:20 PM
Paul, that car won't have a BCU as it's a Mk1, so you won't be able to "switch on" any additional electrical functions.

talkingcars
23-01-14, 05:12 PM
Paul, that car won't have a BCU as it's a Mk1, so you won't be able to "switch on" any additional electrical functions.

Not quite correct - you wont NEED to "switch on" any additional electrical functions, as we have already said, they are plug and play on the mk1.