PDA

View Full Version : mgzs problems

Neil Gardner
16-01-14, 07:37 PM
Hi folks,
I have a 2003 1800 mgzs. Periodically, I have a two tone sound when I turn ignition key to show ignition lights on dash prior to starting. Can anyone help me define what this tone refferes to?
Also, a new fault has just occurred. Going to my car on a very cold morning, trying to start it. I turned the key fully round. ..... Nothing !! No click, no dimming of dash lights. Just nothing. Having left my car after making other arrangments to get to work. I returned to it in the evening. Car started first time, with no problems for the car to turn over. It has repeated the same fault twice since. Can anyone suggest a plan of investigation? Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

talkingcars
16-01-14, 07:40 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Does the tone effect operation of the car?

I suspect you have a dirty spade terminal on the starter motor, take it off and clean both the spade and the crimp terminal.

James

petet16
16-01-14, 07:45 PM
As above for the starting problem.

Not sure on the two tone sound your getting, on the later cars it is the fob not connecting with the transponder ring on the ignition switch and is normal, what shape key fob do you have ?.

caled
16-01-14, 08:08 PM
The two tone noise you occasionally hear sounds like the immobiliser. Mine does that every so often, usually when I try to start the car immediately after putting the key in the ignition.

Neil Gardner
16-01-14, 08:11 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Does the tone effect operation of the car?

I suspect you have a dirty spade terminal on the starter motor, take it off and clean both the spade and the crimp terminal.

James
The car when starts, runs very well. I do keep close eye on running items , oil and water plugs. The tones sound just prior to starting the engine. sometimes it may just be ( please excuse ) Beep beep. other times it may be a series of beeps then stops, and I can start the car as normal. I have come to think it may be telling me there is a problem looming. Have tested the battery. 12.35 vlt still battery. 14.35 vlt engine running. Will clean the terminal as suggested. I did wonder if it might the solenoid?

Neil Gardner
16-01-14, 08:13 PM
The two tone noise you occasionally hear sounds like the immobiliser. Mine does that every so often, usually when I try to start the car immediately after putting the key in the ignition.
Ah that could be right. Quite often I run my life being late for everything. Into the car and away as quick as. thanks.

Neil Gardner
16-01-14, 08:15 PM
As above for the starting problem.

Not sure on the two tone sound your getting, on the later cars it is the fob not connecting with the transponder ring on the ignition switch and is normal, what shape key fob do you have ?.
the key fob shape is the normal MG key symbol as the fob.

petet16
16-01-14, 08:18 PM
So kind of egg shaped with an mg badge in the middle

Neil Gardner
25-01-14, 06:00 PM
Are there faults that are prevalent with the zs 1.8? I've had the car from new, as a car to drive Im very happy..... but have a folder full of invoices of work done. Brakes are my main issue .... back and front .... have replaced total front an back twice, with once a year changing either callapers or every other year having to reset back brakes. Is this common with this car. So tired of this, Ive Never had this with any other car I have had.

petet16
25-01-14, 06:13 PM
Rear brakes are a very common problem area, also shared with Honda's that use the same design.

Neil Gardner
09-07-14, 01:06 PM
My Only Gripe with my 2003 car, are the rear brakes. Brand new through out...... back and front. STILL CANNOT PARK ON A HILL. !!!! Never nown a car like it. Happy otherwise.

talkingcars
09-07-14, 01:26 PM
New calipers?
New handbrake cable?

petet16
09-07-14, 01:34 PM
It doesn't sound like the handbrake is set up right, how many clicks does it take on the lever to go from fully off to fully applied.

Maxfly
10-07-14, 09:38 AM
Yep sounds like adjustment is needed, should hold fine once setup correctly.
An occasional strip and clean keeps them good, not had many problems myself just a seized carrier recently but that was down to a split rubber boot:)

peterzs
10-07-14, 09:43 AM
Just check all the earth points as well.

Battery to slam panel and one to the gearbox.

Sometimes I have to hit the button a few times, on my one, as it doesnt always "see", the key.

Battery in the fob been, changed recently.

ZS
10-07-14, 10:52 AM
The Starting issue sounds like the immobilizer, next time it happens press the unlock button on the key fob and then turn the key again - see if that starts then.

The Brake issue sounds like it need a little bit of setup work doing to it... Where are you based? If you are on the south coast PM me as might be able to help you with that one :)