PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/engine problem

mattie007
19-01-14, 09:16 AM
Hi all, seems my ZS is suffering in this cold, wet weather and I think the idle issue I had last year is returning. Basically you turn it on and it idles erratically until you press the clutch and it dies. Managed to drive 40 miles home last night without stopping! Had one scary moment when I changed from 4th to 5th and it stalled on the dual carriageway at 60...
Any ideas? Really wanted to see 100k on the clocks before I change!

talkingcars
19-01-14, 09:46 AM
Is it a K4, a KV6 or a L?

peterzs
19-01-14, 10:04 AM
Cam, crank sensor???

Coils, plugs???

Worth getting a reader on it and see if any faults stored??

mattie007
19-01-14, 12:17 PM
1.8k. It's booked in tomorrow, just wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue before.

welshone
19-01-14, 12:24 PM
What throttle body have you got??

Metal or plastic??

Alan.F
19-01-14, 02:00 PM
Matt i know I've took the pee in that past with you but i honestly think its time to say goodbye to this car m8

mattie007
19-01-14, 02:15 PM
What throttle body have you got??

Metal or plastic??

I assume plastic? Original spec anyway.
Yeh I will Alan. Probably should have got a new car when I started my new job. To be fair it's just done 25k miles last year with just a few niggles.
Probably could do with a service! I just like driving it so much that I know I will be disappointed with a newer car. I've driven a 3 series, X Type, new Focus and Golf TSFI recently and although they are better spec and probably better made, they just don't have the ZS feel. Only a MG6 drives similar to the ZS but id want a diesel and they still command a premium.

welshone
19-01-14, 02:27 PM
I would give the Throttle body and the idle control valve a bit of a clean. Doesn't cost anything and if it doesn't sort it out you haven't lost anything.

talkingcars
19-01-14, 05:24 PM
Matt i know I've took the pee in that past with you but i honestly think its time to say goodbye to this car m8

For what is probably a simple fault - a bit extreme.

grimmy
19-01-14, 05:34 PM
For what is probably a simple fault - a bit extreme.

There has been serious history and problems with the car James.I agree with Alan I think Mattie should just call time on it.

Alan.F
19-01-14, 07:42 PM
There has been serious history and problems with the car James.I agree with Alan I think Mattie should just call time on it.

Thx Grimmy, i just believe there is a time to stop spending on a car James

talkingcars
20-01-14, 04:45 AM
Thx Grimmy, i just believe there is a time to stop spending on a car James

Fair enough - that's what's happening to GV51 :(

mattie007
20-01-14, 04:36 PM
It's running fine today, although I think it's a clutch problem. It definatly feels different. When you take your foot off it, it doesn't spring straight back up. I'm giving it to the garage next week to see if its a easy fix, if not then it may well be the end. I did notice that putting the ignition on the first setting, the battery, oil and engine management light are on but go out when the car is started. Is that normal?
I admit its had problems but people I know with 'premium' cars have suffered much worse. Only major issues were the head gasket (changed to the the MLS gasket) and the cam shaft last year. Apart from that, it's just had the usual ZS niggles but I still love it! 8 years, 80000 miles, 3 track days and numerous trips to BTCC events! I will miss it.

petet16
20-01-14, 04:55 PM
Lights are normal.

talkingcars
20-01-14, 05:44 PM
The radio should come on at "ign 1", dash lights should come on at "ign 2".
The engine management, ABS and SRS should go out after a few seconds,
the oil and alternator should go out once the engine is started and
the handbrake once the lever is down.

peterzs
20-01-14, 05:50 PM
Its not a semi-sized clutch shaft.

I had trouble with my TF, giving it some beans you got clutch burning smell.

Had the rear end dropped out and a new subframe, while it was out had a new clutch. The arm was so siezed it snapped when it was being wiggled off. That was why the burning smell. Wasnt freeing off.