PDA

View Full Version : bloody clutch

grimmy
16-02-14, 03:14 PM
So Friday evening I get a call from my brother who is 15.he is stranded in luss loch lomond and he needs me to come and get him so I jump in the car and head off.the car runs no problem until I get go luss which is around 50 miles from home then the original clutch hydraulics start their crap.hard to find gears serious shuddering and clutch burning smell.managed to get it home and have just spent yesterday and today fitting the sheddist that I bought from James (talkingcars) a few weeks back.I was going to do it next weekend at a do stuff meet with Blair but my hand was forced early.so what can I say. what a huge difference the sheddist makes. the clutch and gearbox are awesome now.also.want to give a big thanks to James for doing me a great deal on the kit.cheers mate.

stamford
16-02-14, 04:28 PM
Good mod and do they always fail when you don't want them to!

talkingcars
16-02-14, 04:48 PM
A bit frustrating but pleased to have been part of the solution.

peterzs
16-02-14, 04:56 PM
Least its sorted now Grimmy, more time to help at the "do stuff meet".

Well done talking cars as well by the sound of it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

andys1981
16-02-14, 05:23 PM
is it a really big difference grimmy aye,want to do this mod as im the same with the plastic stuff want a better response from the clutch

grimmy
16-02-14, 05:40 PM
Least its sorted now Grimmy, more time to help at the "do stuff meet".

Well done talking cars as well by the sound of it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah thanks Peter and James done me a cracking deal on the used kit which was much appreciated.

is it a really big difference grimmy aye,want to do this mod as im the same with the plastic stuff want a better response from the clutch

Andy do it now or as soon as you possibly can.you have no idea the difference it makes it is like a different gearbox in the car.

Dan1971
16-02-14, 06:01 PM
Good news ... was worried when I saw the title ... no long term harm done then I assume pal ?

Maxfly
16-02-14, 11:10 PM
Andy do it now or as soon as you possibly can.you have no idea the difference it makes it is like a different gearbox in the car.

This ^^^ it really does make a great difference, you won't want to drive a ZS without one after:)

Enright
17-02-14, 08:43 AM
Grimmy, when you removed the old bits could you see what was causing the original problem?

grimmy
17-02-14, 10:06 AM
Grimmy, when you removed the old bits could you see what was causing the original problem?

Nope it all looked fine even the bracket was fine.but it was deffo the problem.

Supercharged_Z
17-02-14, 10:32 AM
Least you got a sheddist you could of had nothing and been fecked

p_b82
17-02-14, 10:57 AM
Even on the Derv's they benefit from a 'better' setup than standard.

mine used to sulk like hell on a really hot summers day in stop start traffic.. never failed, but would take 'convincing' to go into first at times!

petet16
17-02-14, 11:28 AM
Under bonnet temperature seems to have a really noticeable effect on the plastic components, I think maybe the pipe swells more when it's hot so you lose some of the movement of the slave lever, it could be worth wrapping it with some heat insulation material.

Smokey
17-02-14, 12:30 PM
That's a good point Pete, never really thought about that! I've had this happen twice with standard parts, the only issue I had with the sheddist was when the hose became brittle, cracked and caused fluid leak. I keep an eye on it nowadays!

Maxfly
17-02-14, 02:55 PM
That's a good point Pete, never really thought about that! I've had this happen twice with standard parts, the only issue I had with the sheddist was when the hose became brittle, cracked and caused fluid leak. I keep an eye on it nowadays!

I have had that issue with the kit too, is one of the few parts of the kit I found a bit poor. Went on the green ZS just after I sold it and I ended up swapped it out for more substantial fuel line rubber iirc.

talkingcars
17-02-14, 05:30 PM
The low pressure hose on the one I sold was failing.

grimmy
17-02-14, 05:32 PM
The low pressure hose on the one I sold was failing.

Yeah it sure was it was perishing quite badly at the ends .

andys1981
17-02-14, 06:00 PM
yeah sounds like a plan,did you do a how to buddy,was it fairly easy to do,its something i really need to address

Skillen
17-02-14, 06:41 PM
Under bonnet temperature seems to have a really noticeable effect on the plastic components, I think maybe the pipe swells more when it's hot so you lose some of the movement of the slave lever, it could be worth wrapping it with some heat insulation material.

Doesn't the dark ice designs kit come with a braided hose?
This would also be of benefit to I guess.
Sure I've seen brake master braces before would it be the same case with a clutch master flexing?

grimmy
17-02-14, 06:49 PM
yeah sounds like a plan,did you do a how to buddy,was it fairly easy to do,its something i really need to address

Na mate never done a how to but it was pretty straightforward just make sure the pedal height is adjusted before bleeding the system because if the pedal isn't adjusted properly it feels as if it isn't being bled properly.you will know what I mean whenever you do get round to doing the change.

petet16
17-02-14, 07:26 PM
Doesn't the dark ice designs kit come with a braided hose?
This would also be of benefit to I guess.
Sure I've seen brake master braces before would it be the same case with a clutch master flexing?

It does come with a metal braided hose, which should address any swelling, I'd not considered the master flexing, but it's feasible it could be.
I've seen the brake master braces, apparently they make a noticeable difference.