PDA

View Full Version : Private plate

Ippon
02-04-14, 10:19 PM
thinking of getting a personal plate and putting on the ZS .... Am I right that if I wish to retain the existing plate, that I would need to pay £155 for max 3 years?
If I dont go for the retain option, what do I do when i sell the car, and wish to keep the personal plate?

Cheers
From V317

IMPORTANT – Please read this section and guidance note A, Section 4 before filling in.
How long do you want to retain the vehicle registration number?
One year: £105 Two years: £130 Three years: £155
If you are retaining the vehicle registration number, as the registered keeper do you want to become the Grantee
(the Grantee is the one who has the right to the vehicle registration number)?
Yes No
If you do not want to become the Grantee, for example you are giving the vehicle registration number as a gift, give the details of who should be the Grantee in the box below. This means that as the registered keeper, you will give up the right to

Stephen
02-04-14, 10:41 PM
Iv never had to retain the existing plate on 5 cars iv had my private plate on. Its always reverted back when iv taken the private one off.

The retention fee is for the plate being put on retention, so the private one.

HTH

Dan1971
03-04-14, 06:16 AM
This is how it works.

Your car is "ZS04MGZ"

You buy your private plate "MY04CAR"

If you buy it from the DVLA it has the assignment fee included. Most start at around £250. They send you documents to allow you to get a legal plate made and a replacement tax disc.

You display "MY04CAR"

If you then sell the car or wish to transfer or retain the plate, you fill in a form and pay to retain the "MY04CAR" number. The retention fee for a year used to be £105. This was made up of £80 to retain the plate and then £25 to assign it to your next car. If you don't assign it to another car within 12 months, you lose it or you can pay to retain it for longer.

You are then sent documents and tax disc to put the original plate back on.

Hope that helps.

Ippon
03-04-14, 08:17 PM
Right ...... got it ..... Cheers

Smokey
03-04-14, 09:01 PM
This is how it works.

Your car is "ZS04MGZ"

You buy your private plate "MY04CAR"

If you buy it from the DVLA it has the assignment fee included. Most start at around £250. They send you documents to allow you to get a legal plate made and a replacement tax disc.

You display "MY04CAR"

If you then sell the car or wish to transfer or retain the plate, you fill in a form and pay to retain the "MY04CAR" number. The retention fee for a year used to be £105. This was made up of £80 to retain the plate and then £25 to assign it to your next car. If you don't assign it to another car within 12 months, you lose it or you can pay to retain it for longer.

You are then sent documents and tax disc to put the original plate back on.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: