PDA

View Full Version : Replicating plastic part

Smokey
13-04-14, 06:10 PM
Quick question. I am nearing completion of Matt's new tablet centre console. I would love to save hassle making another one by getting this one duplicated so I can make copies for others to buy.

I know this is possible somehow in bulk but I am looking at an on demand type requirement or 2 at a time. Would also need to be cheap to reproduce them.

I'm not sure if it's possible to do duplication myself and have looked at 3d printing etc but size is possibly an issue.

Anyone in the know so I can consider costs for this?

Thanks in advance.

stamford
13-04-14, 07:13 PM
Post a picture of the part so we can assess the feasibility.

Smokey
13-04-14, 07:15 PM
It's the centre console, like pictured but obviously modified by myself.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/Mobile%20Uploads/20140403_213918_zpsipnytgmb.jpg

talkingcars
13-04-14, 07:24 PM
Plastic 3d printing would be ideal but that would need an industrial sized printer.

It might be worth investing in one if you had a decent sized market catering for several makes and models.

stamford
13-04-14, 07:24 PM
No cheap alternative, even rapid prototyping will cost you due to the size of the part, most cheaper ones are small component use generally, that is quite large. I used to use the University to model parts, cheap method if you know people.

Your best bet is to buy up those from broken cars and keep say two in stock and then do it on an exchange basis, people will understand.

Smokey
13-04-14, 07:37 PM
It wasn't because I couldn't source consoles, was more to save me fabricating every one by hand!

andys1981
13-04-14, 07:48 PM
are they easy too remove as theres a few down my local scrappys,dont mind getting a few for ya

stamford
13-04-14, 07:50 PM
If the modified part is flat and fits inside the current console then you could just get the insert machined to suit and then bond this in place once the aperture has been cut to accept this? I am making assumptions here due to not knowing the final model you have created from the standard template. There is no real cheap fix to this that I can think of. With the console having so many surfaces it is hard to find an easy solution.

Smokey
13-04-14, 07:54 PM
I was hoping 3d printing or moulding would be options if cheap

stamford
13-04-14, 08:06 PM
For a mould you would need a mould tool, typically injection moulding and a mass production process, these tools are not cheap. There is vacuum and blow moulding but not suitable for your component. 3D printing is the only solution for low numbers but as you are looking for the whole part then again you are up against it as the program needs a file to print from. Therefore even the part will need to be scanned in 3D to get this file to print from, unless you have the 3D file from MGRover? ;)

Smokey
13-04-14, 08:14 PM
Well as its custom, I have no 3d image. Do 3d print companies not do this too?

stamford
13-04-14, 08:20 PM
To print anything you send a file to be printed, same with a part, otherwise how will it know what to print in 3D space? A 3D scanner is used to scan an object in order to create a file that can be used.

http://www.absolutegeometries.com/3D_Scanning_file_output.html

Smokey
13-04-14, 08:26 PM
That's what I thought, they would scan the part then print it.

Malteser
14-04-14, 08:21 PM
What about making a mold for fibreglass? Then just fiber glass the copies?

Smokey
14-04-14, 09:01 PM
How would this be done? Would it be cheap to copy and replicate? Will it keep all the detail?

ZS
14-04-14, 09:11 PM
Ive been considering building myself a 3d printer for a while now... not sure if it would be worth while though... been looking atthe reprap project for starters.

Mark S
14-04-14, 10:23 PM
fibreglass is pretty cool stuff, but for the detail you are after, its not ideal.
Injection plastic moulding would be the most logical, but too expensive for the quantities you are after

Jay-ZS+
15-04-14, 06:41 AM
What exactly are you making? As Mick said probably the best option is to bond the modified part in. 3D printing probably isn't as cheap as you think, depending on printer the finish ain't great and it takes ages. Got a couple of printers and rapid prototype machines at uni that I've used for small bits.

chris106
15-04-14, 08:27 PM
do you have a picture of it modified? i know a guy who can do you a mold so you can fibreglass or he would produce them for you. Not sure of costs though, but he remolded my 197 diffuser to have one exhaust exit

Smokey
15-04-14, 09:07 PM
This is basically what I'm needing duplicated.:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/2014-04-15%2000.53.51_zpslspxhyyd.jpg

How much did you pay for the mould and copy of the rear splitter?

chris106
15-04-14, 09:59 PM
I cant really remember it was around the 200 mark i think. I'll go see him at some point and let you know

Smokey
15-04-14, 10:55 PM
That'd be great. Would love to know initial cost and cost per unit after that. Also, would I be the owner of the mould?

Smokey
16-04-14, 01:16 PM
How detailed do these moulds get though