PDA

View Full Version : Another tablet build?

Smokey
29-04-14, 01:03 PM
Well, I managed to get a bargain console on eBay yesterday, so if anyone would like one built for them, it's available :)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/Console/20140421_193556_zpsyygo19b1.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/Console/20140421_205101_zps5geukzrb.jpg

peterzs
29-04-14, 01:17 PM
Do look good.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

grimmy
29-04-14, 01:47 PM
Hudl?:clap2:

pheelay
30-04-14, 10:53 AM
Think you might have outbid me last minute!! was the seller mgzsd?

how much for a build? My plan was to build the tablet behind the console (not removable), move the stereo underneath and remove the ashtray. Need to find somewhere for the heated seat switches though.

M17TT180
30-04-14, 11:11 AM
I dint think you can. I wanted the tablet at the top with stereo underneath but he encountered problems with whats behind.

pheelay
30-04-14, 11:17 AM
ah yeah, possibly not enough depth behind to have the radio underneath. How do you find it positioned like that? I would have thought it's a little too low.

Wasn't there a guy at PoL who took a spare upper dash home for a tablet build? Wonder how its going? :fishing:

Smokey
30-04-14, 11:28 AM
I removed the SCU and there was still not enough room for the stereo. I ran both set ups in my car and cant say there was a massive difference in usability. Once you get past the "must touch it every second" feeling, it's just a great extra feature to the car. Convenient too with all your music/videos/sat nav etc in one place.

Skillen
30-04-14, 11:30 AM
That was me :)
Haven't started it yet as it was gonna be a summer project after I've had the engine and box overhauled.
Then the brembos fitted.
After that it'll be on the agenda!

pheelay
30-04-14, 11:39 AM
funnily, when I was talking to a friend about the project, the first thing he questioned was how the interface with the climate control would work. I had never even thought about integrating it. Now I wonder about creating a USB I/O interface and writing a small app to control it!

Smokey
30-04-14, 12:33 PM
Definitely possible and would free up some space on the console. Apart from heated seats, can't think what else you'd want though?

A secondary thought would be, do I really want to be skipping through apps when I need to change the temperature when it could be at the press of a button without any difficulty?

Do you have much experience in writing apps for android? I don't but would like to integrate front and rear parking sensors/cameras but would be beyond me. Currently building a screen enclosure for my cameras!

pheelay
30-04-14, 01:41 PM
I'm a software developer by occupation, but not done any mobile apps yet. Admittedly, climate control would be big first step! Rear camera should be straightforward, if it's USB camera and drivers exist on android. For the parking sensors, an i/o interface is needed but shouldn't be too difficult.

Smokey
30-04-14, 02:18 PM
I was thinking about the sensors being displayed as a car with visuals of distances. The camera drivers are the main issue. There are a few compatible ones but not really for this purpose.

pheelay
30-04-14, 02:37 PM
Camera, it would surprise me if there is not already a bumper mountable camera that's compatible with Android. It would be typically the kind of thing that would be all over the Shenzhen electronics markets!

Parking sensors with an app, definitely possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stPc4zDBI1E
I'm actually interested myself in this. Summer projet for me perhaps :)

Smokey
30-04-14, 04:08 PM
That does look good. Cost effective though?

Skillen
30-04-14, 05:19 PM
Could have parked it by the time that took to load haha!
I'm hoping to retain most of the standard dash look bar the media screen in the dash on mine.
Whilst does look good in the middle I wanna try up top like newer cars have em.

Smokey
30-04-14, 06:35 PM
Up top as in above the centre console?

Skillen
30-04-14, 06:44 PM
Yup. I never use the centre two vents so could chop them out of the spare dash or mould a kind of add-on that could be removed.

The talk of rear cameras and such makes me want to do it more like that too.
That and some guages on the screen would suit me nicely.

Could you get a g force reading from the tablet via an accelerometer? That'd be cool!

Smokey
30-04-14, 06:54 PM
I believe you can. The accelerometer is seen in the OBD menu.

Smokey
And I too have a spare dash so could be tempted by the very same thing as an experiment.

M17TT180
Torque app has a g-ometer i'm sure.

M17TT180
30-04-14, 06:55 PM
I believe you can. The accelerometer is seen in the OBD menu.

And that :)

talkingcars
30-04-14, 10:19 PM
I dint think you can. I wanted the tablet at the top with stereo underneath but he encountered problems with whats behind.

It's possible but requires some serious surgury to the metal and plastic frames behind.

Smokey
30-04-14, 10:58 PM
This is why I avoided it. Trying to keep mine plug and play, which I have managed to do.