PDA

View Full Version : I have a real ZS problem

stamford
20-06-14, 10:32 PM
Recently I find myself looking at other cars, mainly big engined autos, S-Type Jags, Audi A8s and the like. I think I am falling out of love with the ZS as I enjoy driving it but not on longish journeys anymore. As I am getting on I am finding my back problems resurfacing and taking longer to get over it, the ZS ride is not helping and I don't find it comfortable anymore. The seats are fine but the ride not so, great for fast country lanes and track days but not everyday use. I've been with the same ZS for +9 years, a record for me btw, maybe time to move on, who knows? I did think about going down the mk2 route and leaving the suspension well alone, but can I? Not sure what to do for the best. I have even thought about getting an auto ZT, best of both for the weekend cruise and the odd day to work. I have the Elite Vectra Estate for the commute and the sensible stuff, but it isn't me but stuck with it for now until I can afford a Disco 3 or a lottery win and it'll be a V8 Mustang!

Not worth much as is, but nearly double broken up, which hurts.

Help!!! :wacko: That is the dilemma, been with it for so long and also with this forum, hard to think not having a ZS or being here but something has to give before my back does.

Time for a good nights sleep.

talkingcars
20-06-14, 10:56 PM
Difficult dilema - good luck.

top_man_eldo
20-06-14, 11:18 PM
Vehicle Handling Solutions...

MG ZS suspension upgrade. This kit consists of four high quality Bilstein monotube dampers, tuned to provide a mature dynamic performance. The overtly sporting character of the original ZS is retained but with significantly more refined ride quality. The dampers are a straightforward replacement of the original units. All kits are built to order. £559 + VAT.

http://www.vehiclehandlingsolutions.com/products.htm

I'm sure this guy had them fitted to his ZS and rated them...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc4X7AwzbOaea16ZcksApw

Just a thought?

petet16
21-06-14, 04:56 AM
I've got them fitted to both zs, the dogs b*****x imo.

stamford
21-06-14, 06:06 AM
I did give that some thought but alot of money to put into a sub £1k car.

Dan1971
21-06-14, 06:53 AM
I totally get where you're coming from.

Go and try some mate.

ZT auto keeps you in the brand if you want to stay MG and they good cars. Sound good and very cumfy. Nowhere near the same performance. Cheap to get into.

As for yours.

Break it and it'll break your heart with the amount of time and effort that you've put into it. And it'll break your back taking it apart.

So - try some cars out - have some fun looking around and trying some to see if the grass really is greener. Then advertise yours as it is for what you want for it. There may be someone who will see what a good car it is and could be just what they are looking for. If that doesn't sell it, get the barbie on and we'll all come and help out.

Lukeus101
21-06-14, 07:15 AM
^^^^^ Dan speaks fapping good sense :)

Also in for road trip and Barbie :D

talkingcars
21-06-14, 09:06 AM
I did give that some thought but alot of money to put into a sub £1k car.

It's only a sub £1k car if you are selling it, if you are keeping it then it's priceless.

(sorry - that doesn't help either way)

peterzs
21-06-14, 09:13 AM
Budget of £6K and you can get a ZT 260.

Best of both worlds, bit of luxury and Mustang power.

Keep the ZS for track days.

Tow hitch and a trailer on the ZT.

All the effort thats gone in the ZS got to be a keeper till you are old and grey!!!

:beer::beer::beer:

stamford
21-06-14, 09:52 AM
Budget of £6K and you can get a ZT 260.

Best of both worlds, bit of luxury and Mustang power.

Keep the ZS for track days.

Tow hitch and a trailer on the ZT.

All the effort thats gone in the ZS got to be a keeper till you are old and grey!!!

:beer::beer::beer:

I think I probably qualify on both counts there! :laugh:

Deckz
21-06-14, 10:05 AM
Simple:

2006 ZT 260 @£4995
http://www.usedcarsni.com/2006-MG-ZT-4-6-V8-260-126929146

Jay-ZS+
21-06-14, 10:45 AM
No harm in looking around. One thing to consider is it worth more to you than the market value? If finance and space allows why not get something more comfortable as a daily and store the ZS for those fun trips.

As you will well know breaking cars can be alot of hassle and will your back appreciate it?!

stamford
21-06-14, 11:17 AM
Ideally yes, but I'm not in a position yet to consider trading up. Maybe in 12-18 months I may be, so yes a change of daily is the way forward but not at this time. The roads I drive on are none too great and the ZS's suspension amplifies this and kills me! Ruins the experience. Maybe I ought to wait for a tidy mk2 to come along, one with standard suspension and leave it be!

Maxfly
21-06-14, 02:23 PM
The VHS suspensions package would appeal to me, is there a ZS near you with it fitted you could test drive to see how it suits you as it may seem like a lot of money but if you are attached enough to your current ZS or spy a MK2 you want then it could be worth it's weight in good for your back.
Sometimes a change but not a change suits, I'm delighted with my current steed and that was after getting itchy feet in the green one.
Of course don't rule out a different brand, go look and test drive you might find something unexpected fits your bill perfectly:)

stamford
21-06-14, 02:39 PM
I'm going to play around with the adjusters to see if I can free them up and change the settings, they were a little tight last time. Park it up and use the sensible car for a while, it may change my mind. I like the set-up as it great on track days, maybe just keep it for that?

Maxfly
21-06-14, 02:49 PM
I'm going to play around with the adjusters to see if I can free them up and change the settings, they were a little tight last time. Park it up and use the sensible car for a while, it may change my mind. I like the set-up as it great on track days, maybe just keep it for that?

Might just work bud, current ZS kept for the track time which you back would manage and another car whether that be a second zed or any other car a bit more set for comfort but still fun for daily driving. See it as your current zed will give you very little return if you sell, breaking it would be a pain but you lose nothing have it sat there waiting for a hoon round a track :)

stamford
21-06-14, 03:01 PM
I've been looking at Discovery 3's and their prices are dropping, might look into that and see what can be done. Nice 2.7 TD V6 HSE will do nicely! I miss my series 2 TD5, great motor but somewhat gutless, these later ones are blooming nippy!

talkingcars
21-06-14, 04:36 PM
With something like the Disco you could invest in a trailer to take the blue one to track days to keep running costs down, would also give you more cash to pay for track days.

stamford
21-06-14, 04:55 PM
I would love another trailer, by my god they are expensive these days! I made my last 4 wheeler, had the space to do it back then.

p_b82
23-06-14, 10:38 AM
It is difficult when circumstances force you hand like that, but I think as others have said you you feel yourself, you would regret selling the ZS if you did.

I am seriously considering putting some progressive springs on the ZS, as the new setup make the car handle on rails, but has made it a little less comfortable - ok on the motorway, but the B road blasts can be a little harsh when the road is in bits!

Fred68
26-06-14, 02:51 PM
I feel for you. I had a similar dilemma 18 months ago. The wife changed her sensible WV Tiguan for a not so practical Astra GTC. This ment I needed a load lugger/ practical car instead of the ZS180. I simply couldn't do without that V6 sound. So I found a HGF failed Freelander V6 and fixed it. Actually I cheated and changed the engine for a second hand one I got off an Ex trader on here.
The ZS was duly sold and I now have a practical Freelander V6 as my daily drive. Ok it doesn't make me smile the same way the ZS did, but it's got that lovely KV6 growl. Best part is, it is fully loaded with goodies the ZS didn't even get and has room for an awesome stereo system!!
I still miss the ZS though, and if my situation changes, I'd get another, no question.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

stamford
26-06-14, 03:11 PM
As it stands I'll hang on and see if I can afford to do a deal on a Discovery 3 TDV6, chop the Vectra in and keep the ZS for fun. Life's too short!

Fred68
26-06-14, 03:23 PM
As it stands I'll hang on and see if I can afford to do a deal on a Discovery 3 TDV6, chop the Vectra in and keep the ZS for fun. Life's too short!
Glad you're keeping the ZS.
I'm looking at getting a D3 next year too. A lot more space than the Freelander and it's still a V6!! I'm going down the Auto box route as the clutches don't last long with the manual box.