PDA

View Full Version : So what do you's make of this new legislation?

ZSbhoy_1724
27-06-14, 09:39 PM
So under new EU legislation cars cannot be modified in any way and doing so would mean an automatic fail of MOT (or equivalent) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2199311/Millions-modified-classic-cars-banned-roads-meddling-European-Union-try-shake-MOT-rules.html

B8sy
27-06-14, 09:45 PM
Somebody shoot the man who came up with that idea, better yet run him down while he is no doubt on his bicycle. Let's hope our government get a blumin back bone soon!

talkingcars
27-06-14, 09:46 PM
No modifications but an MOT every two years?

andys1981
27-06-14, 09:54 PM
a load of pish,theres a few gonna cars gonna fail then,how many folk have modified there cars lol.

stamford
27-06-14, 10:34 PM
That story is some 20 months old, good old internet dragging up old **** as usual!

easytime
27-06-14, 11:27 PM
The aftermarket car mod industry is far too big to just shut down like that, they will never do it.

petet16
28-06-14, 01:15 AM
As Mick says, that story dates from Sept 2012, it never went anywhere.

But that doesn't mean the clowns won't try and resurrect it in the future.

pheelay
28-06-14, 10:11 AM
Actually, outside of UK, it's already the case pretty much. In Ireland there's nothing in law to stop you modifying, other than usual safety & noise level laws, but it's almost impossible these days to get insurance quotes once the word modified is mentioned. I had a lot of trouble getting a policy on my own zed, and by your standards, it's a stock car (dual exhaust, decay, air filter). In France, any modification that changes the specification on the registration doc (e.g. Power output) means the vehicle must be inspected and documents updated. Even custom exhausts are illegal unless specifically approved by the manufacturer. It effectively means that the market for mods over there is limited to wheels and audio. Just saying that UK seems to be very much an exception to the rest of Europe in terms of modified cars :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

M17TT180
28-06-14, 10:56 AM
Actually, outside of UK, it's already the case pretty much. In Ireland there's nothing in law to stop you modifying, other than usual safety & noise level laws, but it's almost impossible these days to get insurance quotes once the word modified is mentioned. I had a lot of trouble getting a policy on my own zed, and by your standards, it's a stock car (dual exhaust, decay, air filter). In France, any modification that changes the specification on the registration doc (e.g. Power output) means the vehicle must be inspected and documents updated. Even custom exhausts are illegal unless specifically approved by the manufacturer. It effectively means that the market for mods over there is limited to wheels and audio. Just saying that UK seems to be very much an exception to the rest of Europe in terms of modified cars :)

Which is why in a lot of European countries you get some extremely modified cars body wise but running bog standard internals.

This will never happen over here as it will put so many companies out of business it will have an effect on the economy, I can't imagine how much is spend per year in the modifying market.

Also another reason we need to get the fook out of the EU.

Lukeus101
28-06-14, 11:25 AM
If anything does happen like this im leaving lol

Jason04r
28-06-14, 01:21 PM

Exactly the same law in Spain , agree that people modify the body however that's also illegal unless approved. When I took my ZS for MOT the guy actually doubted that the factory body kit was standard and called over 3 guys to check plus a search on Google haha

Fred68
02-07-14, 07:23 PM
It's another pile euro idiots trying to be the party pooper. The quicker we dump these morons the better. I still can't see how a simple trade agreement turns into us being governed by idealistic numptys.
Iirc the DVLA said they don't have the resources to carry out these silly inspections. Thank goodness someone is thinking sensibly.

ZSZRANDRF900
03-07-14, 07:51 AM
i think the stalling point for this legislation was that Europe and its eurocrats would have to compansate all LPG owners as they would render their cars illegal. and as such would be forcing drivers with a clean burn LPG car to then switch back to dirty petrol. same with people who converted old diesels to burn veg and bio diesel they would then switch back to higher sulphur diesel. its a shame the bicycle riding belgium idiots dont think before giving it 2 i know, how;s this for a great idea".

Fred68
04-07-14, 12:38 PM
I'm old enough to remember when cars didn't have cats fitted and the EU forced manufacturers to fit them.
The stupid thing is that now is greenhouse gas emissions are higher than they would otherwise be if cars didn't have the stupid things.